Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2015, 03:48   #1

Boat: Tartan 34C
Mooring on Buzzards Bay

I have an almost new mooring I installed back in April of 2012 that is now ready for a new boat!

Just pay the town yearly usage fees which are minimal and you are good to go!

I used to have my old Tartan 27 on it. The boat weighs 7400 pounds and draws 3ft 2 inches.

This mooring held the boat on Hurricane Sandy as I did not get a chance to take out my boat so this mooring is strong. It was installed by Pioneer Mooring and has been maintained every year by them.

I still have the original invoice in which I paid $1111.77 for the mushroom mooring and shackles, chains, etc, etc. This can be provided for further detail on the equipment.

The sale is with the spot it is currently on in Nasketucket Bay, an easy hour sail from Wood Hole with Mattapoisett Harbor on one side and New Bedford Harbor on the other. Nasketucket Bay is also about a 2 hour sail away from one of my favorite harbors in all of Buzzards Bay, Red Brook Harbor. Nasketucket Bay is known for its tranquility as it is surrounded by a nature reserve so all you hear is birds, water, and wind. Easy to spot Osprey while hanging out in mooring.

The mooring is about a 500 foot row from the dock and the spot includes a town run dinghy dock and boat ramp.

Attached pictures are of the boat on the mooring as well as shots of your view.

Tartan 34C #177 "Nova Luna"
Tartan 27 Yawl "Destinada" (SOLD)
Old 17-04-2015, 22:47   #2

Boat: Cape Dory 31
Re: Mooring on Buzzards Bay

Normally there are waiting lists for town moorings. Is this mooring location governed by the harbormaster or some other authority? After you sell the mooring would the new owner be asked to remove it by the authorities so the next name on the waiting list could take possession of the spot?
Old 18-04-2015, 05:14   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Walsh View Post
Normally there are waiting lists for town moorings. Is this mooring location governed by the harbormaster or some other authority? After you sell the mooring would the new owner be asked to remove it by the authorities so the next name on the waiting list could take possession of the spot?
No, I've already worked it out with the harbormaster on the transition so it's all set. My town is not as strict with this as other places.

However, it really doesn't matter to you does it as I assume you are writing this to waste my time...
Old 18-04-2015, 07:52   #4

Quote:
We had a new harbormaster come in a few years ago and he tried to follow this "non transferable" rule strictly . However, he pretty soon found out that, our town being full of smartass lawyers, people got around this by taking on a buyer as a partner on paper (both for the boat and the mooring) and then very quickly the seller would take himself out as a partner. All perfectly legal and challenge proof but yes a bit more expensive. After a while this became the official policy in case of the seller selling his boat to someone who wanted to keep the mooring. In all other situations the mooring gets offered to next in line but for the price the seller wants. If 1st in line can't make a deal with the seller it goes to the next in line and so on. The only thing harbormaster is adamant about is that people don't ask more for the mooring than they paid for. Which I guess is fair enough.
Old 18-04-2015, 17:25   #5

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southcoasting View Post
No, I've already worked it out with the harbormaster on the transition so it's all set. My town is not as strict with this as other places.

However, it really doesn't matter to you does it as I assume you are writing this to waste my time...
Actually it was written so I wouldn't waste my time. I am interested in your offer.

This is the relevant Town of Fairhaven Chapter145-5 information;

C.
The owner of a mooring may sell or transfer the ownership of mooring tackle owned by him, but does not constitute a sale of the mooring location.
D.
The assigned location of the mooring shall not be transferred to anyone else without the written approval of the Harbormaster or an Assistant Harbormaster.

My question now is: will you provide the written approval of the Harbormaster to me if we come to an agreement on the purchase of the mooring tackle?
Old 18-04-2015, 18:27   #6

Boat: Her Shine Newburyport 37'

I am also interested, please PM me
Old 18-04-2015, 18:44   #7

Quote:
Actually it was written so I wouldn't waste my time. I am interested in your offer.

This is the relevant Town of Fairhaven Chapter145-5 information;

C.
The owner of a mooring may sell or transfer the ownership of mooring tackle owned by him, but does not constitute a sale of the mooring location.
D.
The assigned location of the mooring shall not be transferred to anyone else without the written approval of the Harbormaster or an Assistant Harbormaster.

My question now is: will you provide the written approval of the Harbormaster to me if we come to an agreement on the purchase of the mooring tackle?
I already had a talk with the assistant, Tim, and he mentioned to me it would not be a problem and to just leave a message with the main harbormaster about the specifics. Did not mention anything about getting a written approval from them but I can work on providing the new owner a signed approval if they insist.

Would it be for the 31 foot CD? If so, the draft on it would not do well on this particular mooring location...I had my T34 on it last year with 3'10'' draft and it was close. If you needed more depth, I would suggest to have Steve from Pioneer mooring move it out a little further to get a little deeper...The same mooring was a little further out the first season but I had them move it to make my rowing shorter. I think it was about two hundred to move it.

Tags
mooring