Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2011, 14:50   #46

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Mariner 40 1966 wooden ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailPenelope View Post
What does "taken" mean?

taken

Definition of TAKEN

past participle of take
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 31-12-2011, 14:54   #47

It's an odd way to say the boat sold. I think he means it sank. I wish he'd come back and tell us something........
Old 31-12-2011, 14:59   #48

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben M-P View Post
Grace is taken.

Well...I think since he gave it away rather than received money for it, someone took (taken) it rather than bought (sold) it .
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 05-01-2012, 03:51   #49

Altogether a sad, scarey and depressing thread. Especially after following the OP's blog. Dashed hopes and dreams. I truely hope that someone took this project on to breath new life into this girl.
Old 14-04-2012, 13:07   #50

Location: New Mexico and our S/V is in Fort Pierce..hope to be there soon and sailing.
Boat: S/V"KAREN", Pearson Alberg 35. an achilles dingy, 2 kyaks.

I just saw this thread....In 2002, having decided to get a cruising boat, Jon and I looked for months for a 40'Mariner Ketch. We saw several in various conditions of disrepair or untenable modifications and continued to be frustrated in our efforts to find the right Mariner 40. We ultimately bought another s/v but we never got over wanting a Mariner 40 or even a 35. Jon worked for Clair Oberley as a rigger around the time "Grace" was produced. The Far East Mariners were made in Japan and shipped over for rigging in Southern California. Jon most likely did the original rigging on "Grace". Altho we could not find one at the right price in 2002, we often regret not just buying one of the wooden Mariners we had located even though she had sister ribs and a dubious diesel.... recently,we found ourselves in the market for another s/v, and acquired an Alberg 35 which we dearly love....but had we seen this thread back in late 2011...( thinking with our hearts rather than our heads)....we probably would have been sorely tempted to go and rescue "Grace"...I hope sincerely "taken" doesn't mean "sunken"....but if so... may she rest as gracefully as she sailed in her glory days.
Old 14-04-2012, 13:11   #51

Boat: 33ft sloop

A very elegant reply. Lots of happy cruising to you on the other side of the globe.

Sincerely,

MacG (who is happy with his boat now and did not fell in disgrace with the sea).
Old 14-04-2012, 13:21   #52

Location: New Mexico and our S/V is in Fort Pierce..hope to be there soon and sailing.

Great News.....checked out Ben's Blog..."Going Afloat" "Grace " has a new owner...Maybe I am the last to know...but hey that's okay..al'ls well that ends well.....))))
Old 17-04-2012, 08:49   #53
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Fareast, Mariner 40'

Just a final update on the whole Grace saga.
We passed grace along to someone who didn't really do anything for her, they then passed her on to a Diver/Shipwright team who tried to save her but where unable to. she went quietly to the bottom where a couple of divers told me that she settled into the sand right on her lines and was slowly "sailing" out to sea down the shelf.

It was a rather sad end, but it was much more dignified than being sent to the county crusher.
We are taking a break from the sea, while we regroup financially, but will be back at some point (hopefully soon).
Godspeed.

Once the salt water gets in your blood the sea will always call you back.
Old 17-04-2012, 10:41   #54

Boat: 33ft sloop

I really hope that you come back to boating soon. I have followed the sad history and just having rebuild my steel NEALA (she is no longer Miss Scrapheap), I have a very good feeling having Neala since she fits me so comfortable. Meanwhile I have brought 3 carloads of stuff on board I still have plenty of room for another 2-3 cars.
Old 17-04-2012, 14:58   #55

I was sorry to hear how this actually turned out..w/the exception that it appears that "Grace" is now in another dimension and a transit that was kindly in her passing. Thank you Ben for sharing what is clearly painful to you.
Old 26-04-2012, 12:55   #56

Quote:
Just a final update on the whole Grace saga.
We passed grace along to someone who didn't really do anything for her, they then passed her on to a Diver/Shipwright team who tried to save her but where unable to. she went quietly to the bottom where a couple of divers told me that she settled into the sand right on her lines and was slowly "sailing" out to sea down the shelf.

It was a rather sad end, but it was much more dignified than being sent to the county crusher.
We are taking a break from the sea, while we regroup financially, but will be back at some point (hopefully soon).
Godspeed.

Once the salt water gets in your blood the sea will always call you back.
Any idea where she's resting? If the depth is okay that would be a hell of a dive.
Old 27-04-2012, 08:48   #57
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
Any idea where she's resting? If the depth is okay that would be a hell of a dive.
Last it heard, she was about 1/4 mi outside Avalon harbor, heading south about 50yrd off the rocks. She is the second boat on the bottom as you go south.
Old 27-04-2012, 12:42   #58

Quote:
Last it heard, she was about 1/4 mi outside Avalon harbor, heading south about 50yrd off the rocks. She is the second boat on the bottom as you go south.
Thanks man, might try to check that out if the depth is okay. If you get any coordinates or specifics let me know. I can take some photos. Would be trippy.
Old 28-04-2012, 17:00   #59
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
Thanks man, might try to check that out if the depth is okay. If you get any coordinates or specifics let me know. I can take some photos. Would be trippy.
The guys at the harbor patrol would most likely know, every one there knew about Grace. I haven't been over there since we gave her away.