Old 27-12-2011, 11:41   #16

Boat: finally a catamaran dive boat...
Send a message via MSN to cdennyb Send a message via Skype™ to cdennyb
Re: Mariner 40 1966 wooden ketch

PM sent to you Ben.
Old 27-12-2011, 11:56   #17

Boat: 33ft sloop

Save that boat - a shame when that one has to rot away.
Old 27-12-2011, 12:11   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
but I'll offer up my free services minus expenses if helps anyone out here on cruisersforum. Just send me a PM.
Really?.....Half the times this may be true......
Old 27-12-2011, 12:12   #19

Hi Ben, I really hope that you boat gets rescued!! I hate seeing something that nice and loved being lost!!!! I wish I was back in SoCal to assist...
Old 27-12-2011, 13:07   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow View Post
Really?.....Half the times this may be true......

I have a gifted skill at dropping off the face of the earth for prolonged periods of time. When my plate gets full my antisocial tendencies kick into overdrive. It's been going on long enough that I just accept that fact and deal with it. Considering the flaws in human beings across the board, I'm happy I didn't get dealt a worse hand.
Old 27-12-2011, 15:55   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Fareast, Mariner 40'

Just an update.
The harbor patrol in Avalon has been pumping her out once a day (she's not in their service area but they are a great group) but she needs to be taken in the next day or so as they really can't keep doing this.

I'm really hopping that someone can take her on as she is a great boat.
when we bought her we had it planned out with all the yards and expenses taken into account and budgeted for but got hit by the economy(loss of almost all income after august) and the yard in Avalon that had launched her refused to haul her (the haul-out trailer operator died and after dropping a couple of boats the new owner quit hauling the bigger ones).
We aren't giving up on our dream but we need to take a couple years off to get everything in order to get back on the water.
Godspeed
Old 27-12-2011, 19:38   #22

Send a message via Skype™ to ProtectTheOcean

Ben, any way to force the guy's hand, make her take her back up on the hard? She's in distress. Might the harbor patrol help make him use the lift, since he has the privilege of having one there at all?)
Old 28-12-2011, 03:45   #23
Armchair Bucketeer

I am guessing she is not currently insured.......

Might sound a bit harsh, but how about stripping out every bit of equipment and fittings you can.....from Cooker to Ports to Galley table to the head!.......for either the next boat and / or E-bay - and also removing as much interior wood as possible (odds are wood of a quality not easily / cheaply available nowadays)........................and then either beach her and finish off with a chainsaw / angle grinder (and reclaim further wood).....if lucky the keel will be lead ($$!).......could even sail / tow her to the mainland to do the final cut (that leaking seam could be rough sealed with foam), and if she sank enroute - well, that's just life . (if you have a means of getting back ashore that is!).

Just an idea.
Old 28-12-2011, 09:13   #24
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Fareast, Mariner 40'

I really can't think of a way to "force his hand" but it might be possible if he knows that no one has anythigng to loose. Some one with enough cash to make it worth his while to give it a shot might get results.

She is insured (liability only) and if I can't give her away by the weekend she will most likely be stripped and taken for a short night sail.......:'( . To be honest from a financial perspective I would be much better of scrapping her than giving her away BUT she is such s beautiful boat and well worth the small cost to save her it breaks our hearts to think of having to have to watch her end her days like that.
Old 28-12-2011, 12:52   #25
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben M-P View Post
I really can't think of a way to "force his hand" but it might be possible if he knows that no one has anythigng to loose. Some one with enough cash to make it worth his while to give it a shot might get results.
My guess is that the Yard has been bitten before by folks with good intentions making promises on "doer uppers" - but the boat ends up as the yard's problem to dispose of........

Quote:
She is insured (liability only) and if I can't give her away by the weekend she will most likely be stripped and taken for a short night sail.......:'( . To be honest from a financial perspective I would be much better of scrapping her than giving her away BUT she is such s beautiful boat and well worth the small cost to save her it breaks our hearts to think of having to have to watch her end her days like that.
It would be a shame, but IMO a dignified ending - into Davy Jones' locker .

FWIW over here one of our more famous locals was TB Davis who in the 20's and 30's used to race his 100 foot (plus bowsprit!) schooner "Westward" against the J Class yachts and also against King George V.......after his death in 1942, the executors tried to get someone to take her on, but couldn't - so she was scuttled in the English Channel (Hurds Deep) in 1947 to prevent her simply fading away ashore.

Thomas Benjamin Frederick Davis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I only mention it because scuttling a boat for good reasons not a new concept and done to bigger (and better?) yachts than yours.

Personally I would chainsaw her for the bits (and any lead in the keel) even if that meant me being "accidently" driven ashore . But me is not so big on the sentimental stuff .

Anyway, good luck with finding a solution
Old 28-12-2011, 13:05   #26

Boat: S2 9.2C
Passed it on to some folks I know on the left side
Old 28-12-2011, 13:14   #27

Boat: 33ft sloop

I am surprised by all this talking and nobody doing. This kind of scenes are absolutely uncommon to me. If the boat is worth saving, do it. If not, let her go. But don' t make it a United Nations discussion.
Old 28-12-2011, 13:34   #28
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacG View Post
I am surprised by all this talking and nobody doing. This kind of scenes are absolutely uncommon to me. If the boat is worth saving, do it. If not, let her go. But don' t make it a United Nations discussion.
It's a location thing, if I was in driving distance I would already be down there with my chainsaw .

And probably this thread a bit of therapy for the OP........
Old 28-12-2011, 15:07   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacG View Post
re: all the talking

It's a message board; that's sort of what everyone (including you and me) is supposed to do.

re: nobody doing

Taking on a project like this is a huge financial and time investment and most everyone on here with the wherewithal to handle something of this magnitude already has a boat (or two) keeping them busy.
Old 29-12-2011, 06:01   #30

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
Taking on a project like this is a huge financial and time investment and most everyone on here with the wherewithal to handle something of this magnitude already has a boat (or two) keeping them busy.
Indeed, the one thing I have learnt is only own one boat at a time.

Ben, feel for you both about the loss, but I would take DOJs advice and break her for the parts on e bay or Craigs list etc. Those same parts will keep dozens of other yachts and folk like yourself going. The income can go into a rainy day fund for the future.

Pete