Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2013, 11:38   #1

Looking for Walker log shoes

Wondering if anyone has two (or one) Walker log 'shoes'. If there's an odd little bronze plate with two slots in it on your taffrail and you were always wondering what it was, that's it!
Also if anyone has a spare spinner, with or without the line and sinker.
thanks.
Old 25-01-2013, 12:13   #2

Boat: 57' Laurent Giles Yawl
Re: Looking for Walker log shoes

Do you have a photo of one, so that I can see how it works?

I've never had one, and just made a bracket with a nut that the walker screws into. But it would be fun to just make a proper one.
Old 25-01-2013, 16:29   #3

I do not have a picture. It's got two curved slots with a wider entry at one end and one central hole. you put the bracket in, turn it so that it locks into the narrow end of the two slots. Then tighten up a screw and it clamps down. Could I see a picture of your arrangement?
Old 25-01-2013, 17:01   #4

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebastianSmith View Post
I do not have a picture. It's got two curved slots with a wider entry at one end and one central hole. you put the bracket in, turn it so that it locks into the narrow end of the two slots. Then tighten up a screw and it clamps down. Could I see a picture of your arrangement?
Google Walker Log Mounting bracket--you'll get photos
Old 25-01-2013, 22:03   #5

Boat: 57' Laurent Giles Yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Stocking View Post
Google Walker Log Mounting bracket--you'll get photos
Oh cool, that should be super easy to make. I'll take a guess at the dimensions from the walker log I have, but if someone has the bracket, and calipers, I'd appreciate measurements of the width of the slot. I'm guessing the slots are about 1/16th of an inch wider than the pins, but don't want it to be too loose and wobbly or too tight and annoying to put in.

SebastianSmith -- I'll PM you if my home made one works. I'll do this on my little CNC mill, so making a second one is nearly effortless.
Old 26-01-2013, 07:02   #6
Armchair Bucketeer

I've got two! But am not selling!

Mine are chromed (on brass?) - and they are stamped Port and Starboard (one of each!). Both also stamped "Aft" which suggests to me that the direction of fitting to the deck is important.

Unfortunately I have no calipers - but using a ruler!:

the slot is 1/4".

A bit hard for me to measure the pins (eyesight!) but looks like a tad under 1/16th less than the slot - in any event the fit is easy, but not loose (i.e. pin slides easy but with very little wiggle room!)

The hole for the pin (head) is 7/16ths. and the pin head looks like 6/16ths - certainly that 1/8th of gap (for the pin head) is more than with the slot (for the pin body).

Mine clamps (by screw, sounds like same as yours) onto the bracket to stop it falling out (glug!), so looks like as long as the pin heads have plenty of grip on the slot each side that the gap is not uber critical.

Pic below is not mine - but same as.

I am sure you know, but that central hole is important (it's what the tightening screw passes through - no thread in it, it's just a hole!).
Old 26-01-2013, 07:10   #7
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
I am sure you know, but that central hole is important (it's what the tightening screw passes through - no thread in it, it's just a hole!).
LATE EDIT!

I was wrong the tightening screw does NOT pass through the central hold (it lines up but simply don't reach!).
Old 26-01-2013, 07:37   #8
Armchair Bucketeer

errrr.....upon further measurement (different ruler!) the pin heads look like 7/16ths (and hole still a further 1/16th - plenty of wiggle room).....pins harder to measure than the slots, at least with my eyesight!
Old 29-01-2013, 12:00   #9

Boat: Tayana 37

Several years ago I bought one from Robert E. White Instruments www.robertwhite.com I don't see them listed on their website, but they may still have some.