Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > General Classifieds (no boats) > Classifieds Archive
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2016, 18:58   #1

Looking for older Hallberg-Rassy 42 (Enderlein)

225 built, apparently. So my chances should be good, since not all 9 billion people care about boats.

I suppose other boats built in the same way would also be of interest.

There's a spiffy 49 too, but only 89 built and I could probably only afford that as a wreck. Not sure which of the 42's I could afford in a decent shape, as they were built from 1980 all the way till 1991.

This is for cruising with 4 big people and 2 small people. Not exactly planning a circumnavigation, but ~8000 miles just for starters seems far enough to get a sturdy boat?

I will pretty much fly to wherever a decent example can be bought and I'll need to hire a skipper right away to move her.
Old 01-11-2016, 19:01   #2

Re: Looking for older Hallberg-Rassy 42 (Enderlein)

Apparently, I was too hasty in making this post - on Yachtworld, I find the cheaper ones at 70,000+ which is above my budget, which tops out around 45,000

Does anyone know any similarly shaped, sturdy cruisers with flush decks around 40'...?
Old 01-11-2016, 19:15   #3

Boat: Hans Christian 41T

Seems to be quite a few of them listed on Yachtworld.. Hallberg-Rassy boats for sale - YachtWorld
And here as well. http://www.theyachtmarket.com/boats/...berg-rassy/42/
Old 01-11-2016, 19:36   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansSolo View Post
Seems to be quite a few of them listed on Yachtworld.. Hallberg-Rassy boats for sale - YachtWorld
And here as well. Hallberg Rassy 42 for Sale (Sailing Boats) | TheYachtMarket
Thanks, I noticed - at higher prices than I had expected for the age.

I'm not exactly a pro on boat prices, I suppose I might find a fixer, or a another, similarly built boat around 40'
Old 02-11-2016, 08:47   #5
Marine Service Provider

We have a very nice 2000 Hallberg Rassy 42 listed here in Grenada. It is the newer version - still a great boat! However the price point is a bit higher than you are planning.

We also have four boats listed down here for $40,000 or less. Let me know if you are interested and I will get you more information.
Old 02-11-2016, 09:49   #6

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by n13L5 View Post
Does anyone know any similarly shaped, sturdy cruisers with flush decks around 40'...?
Corbin 39
Old 03-11-2016, 11:26   #7

A HR 42 for 45k would mean a wreck

I have seen some very good priced HR in the med. HR 38 for around 50 usd but those usually are in need of new teak deck. 20k at least for a teak deck.
Old 03-11-2016, 19:33   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreas.mehlin View Post
A HR 42 for 45k would mean a wreck

I have seen some very good priced HR in the med. HR 38 for around 50 usd but those usually are in need of new teak deck. 20k at least for a teak deck.
Thanks for the tip! They're not flush deck, I think, but sturdy cruisers nonetheless, I shall do a search for them

I wouldn't dream of putting another teak deck on it, I'd try to replace it with walk-on solar panels.

"In the med." means in the Mediterranean sea?

I'll be in Portugal in a week, so not too far to check on boats in Spain.
Old 03-11-2016, 19:50   #9

It's unlikely that you'll find a nice HR at a giveaway price but there is no law against dreaming
Old 03-11-2016, 19:53   #10

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

Forget the HR on ur budget. You may find a fixer upper Tayana.
Old 03-11-2016, 21:20   #11

Boat: Hallberg Rassy Rasmus 35'

I cannot tell you any better than the above posts, but as an HR buyer I would look to the Great Lakes or Europe. They seem to be very popular in those areas.

When I was buying, I did not find anything in the 35' range on the three US coasts, certainly no "buys". But when I bought mine (35') there were three on the west coast of Michigan for sale and one purchase preceded mine in Wisconsin. All sailed Lake Michigan. Norwegian/ Swede populations common up in that area. Great Lakes boats are now "tucked away" for the winter, I cannot comment on European boats and winter situations. A LOT of Europeans store their boats at Indiantown, Fl, you may call the broker there and ask him to keep an eye out.

I can tell you that the budget you are working on you will eventually find a boat, but the total amount you will need to get her into shape will FAR exceed your budget.

But then again.....
Old 04-11-2016, 00:22   #12

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Budgets aside, here are a couple of (perhaps important) thinks. You'd likely do well to concentrate on having the proper number of bunks in your candidate boats list. Bunks which are useable at sea, & aren't in the forepeak. Since at sea these often aren't useable, or are very unpopular. And everyone needs their own private space onboard. Plus, as a "luxury", a cabin for each couple when at anchor or in port. Even if such are also their at sea bunks.

Flush decked boats can be hard on those with weak, or moderately strong stomachs, since it's tough to see outside much without going topsides. And this affects one's mind, as well as inner ear.
Also, such boats tend to be darker inside, which again, contributes to the above.

It's actually a bit harder to get around on flush decked boats too, for all but expert sailors. As there a lot less to grab onto, or brace yourself against on deck. Where experts tend to only hold on/brace out of habit, not necessity, in terms of keeping their balance. Both when moving around, & sometimes when working on deck.

Flush decked boats also have much higher topsides/gunwales. Which can make using the dinghy more challenging. Ditto on kids playing, since they tend to be more aquatic than adults. And if water activities, or trips ashore are a chore, it's felt by everyone. I mean who doesn't like swim call? Also, unloading groceries, & laundry onto tall boats from a dink can be a beast. Especially when you have 200kg of food in the dinghy... weekly.

Oh, & good cockpit coamings, & a hard dodger or pilothouse are vital on flush decked boats. As there's naught else to keep water out of the cockpit, & out of your shorts. Especially water from waves on deck. And baboon but from sitting in wet trousers too much sucks!

Um, and as crazy as this sounds, I'm a big fan of flush decks, so please don't read the above points wrong. I just wanted to point out a few things, in case you'd not considered them yet.

PS: Find a boat with a big galley that's easy to use in a seaway. Good food = good morale. A key thing!

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
Old 04-11-2016, 03:54   #13

Before you post and reveal your naivete and laziness... use google and you get lots of answers.
Old 04-11-2016, 03:57   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
Flush decked boats can be hard on those with weak, or moderately strong stomachs, since it's tough to see outside much without going topsides. And this affects one's mind, as well as inner ear.
Also, such boats tend to be darker inside, which again, contributes to the above.
Be careful... My boat has a flush deck (raised) with lots of headroom, and visibility outward from below. It's light enough as well as MOST of the cabin light in daylight hours come via the deck hatches.

With all due respect... that statement is essentially rubbish.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20161103_102332.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	426.1 KB
ID:	134862  
Old 04-11-2016, 17:20   #15

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandero View Post
Be careful... My boat has a flush deck (raised) with lots of headroom, and visibility outward from below. It's light enough as well as MOST of the cabin light in daylight hours come via the deck hatches.

With all due respect... that statement is essentially rubbish.
3 ports in the main cabin, each being smaller than a toaster, does not good external viewing make. Take a look at say the lighting & view from inside a Cal 40, or a Jeanneau Raised Saloon.

I've owned flush decked boats; for in excess of a decade. The lighting from the deck hatches was fairly good, but not comparable to a boat with deck hatches, expanses of fixed ports, & several opening ports. It's silly to argue over it, as the physics of light isn't going to change based on opinions.

In some such boats you need sunglasses belowdecks unless there's a good curtain setup for the fixed port lights. It's also why you see a lot of smoked Lexan used for port lights. To tone down on the glare belowdecks.

Heck, I've been on boats with coach houses where you didn't even need to go on deck in order to fully check the horizon for other vessels... both sitting, & standing. The vis from down below is that good. And such does contribute to people's sense of wellness, especially when the boat's moving unsteadily. That too is a fact.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.