Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > General Classifieds (no boats) > Classifieds Archive
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2016, 03:19   #1

Less cruisers for sale nowadays in Caribbean?

Hi all

I recall around a year ago when I start looking here for a cruiser that there was plenty for sale. I was mostly looking at BVI and similar. Today there is only one available (which is sale pending) in the BVI that is within my criteria i.e. 46-49ft for sale in BVI with a max price of GBP 90,000 (USD 110,000).

Plenty available in Europe within that criteria but I was hoping to pick one up in BVI next year when I move there. Any ideas as to why so few available? Is it the wrong time to be looking there?

Thanks
Old 11-10-2016, 05:01   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 57
Re: Less cruisers for sale nowadays in Caribbean?

The market is pretty much the same as it always has been in the BVI - lots of ex-charter boats plus quite a few private boats. Have you checked BVI Yacht Sales; they have a big selection and some that fit your price & length criteria.
Old 11-10-2016, 05:47   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
The market is pretty much the same as it always has been in the BVI - lots of ex-charter boats plus quite a few private boats. Have you checked BVI Yacht Sales; they have a big selection and some that fit your price & length criteria.
I have - I'm keeping an eye on them. I just recall lots of results in previous times and now I'm lucky if there are 3 listings up. compared with 20+ listings in Croatia/Greece/Italy etc. I'd prefer not to go there to get my boat but it's looking like I may have to.
Old 11-10-2016, 06:41   #4

Boat: Able 50

There are always plenty for sale in Florida.
Old 11-10-2016, 07:29   #5

It maybe has something to do with US$ to Euro/UK pound exchange rate. Boats in BVI are priced for US market in US$ when in Europe obviously in Euro which dropped ~20% in the last few years, so it looks like a better deal when converted to US$. I guess declining UK pound should make buying in UK a better deal as well.
Old 11-10-2016, 08:24   #6

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Kiss 47

My Sun Kiss 47 will be on sale in Grenada next year (June), after my transat and a few months visiting the islands.
Old 11-10-2016, 11:18   #7

Boat: Hunter 27, 1978

Of course, you could always check on Craig's List for one, and I would suggest checking anyplace that is even close to Florida or the Caribbean, so that you don't limit yourself to only the BVI. Limiting yourself to one location alone will surely make it more difficult to get the best deal and the best option combination, as well as severely limiting the options you may have for negotiation.

You could use location as a means of negotiation if you are creative, and right now, post Matthew, Florida may have a few more minor scratch and dent options for you. There are probably some tremendous bargains to be had from unhappy new purchasers who had cash, desire for a boat, and no experience in bad weather. Their boats may be fine, but they may have decided that perhaps that cash could be applied elsewhere for entertainment as the hurricane has tarnished that particular penny in their eyes.

Some (more affluent than I) people are funny like that, especially those new to cash and boats, from what I have seen to date in my searches for vessels. I have been offered some really interesting deals, but did not have the money to make the transactions, so passed on them. I cannot believe that the deals would be less available now that so many are questioning the wisdom of owning a high dollar cruising vessel in a hurricane-prone area...

Just my two cents worth...
Old 11-10-2016, 14:22   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
There are always plenty for sale in Florida.
I just use Yachtworld when I'm looking and I rarely find anything in Florida within my budget. Is there any other sites I should be checking for Florida boats? It would be great to pick one up there - makes my life a lot easier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_sauvage View Post
It maybe has something to do with US$ to Euro/UK pound exchange rate. Boats in BVI are priced for US market in US$ when in Europe obviously in Euro which dropped ~20% in the last few years, so it looks like a better deal when converted to US$. I guess declining UK pound should make buying in UK a better deal as well.
Yes there's probably an element of that for sure, my purchasing power (I'm paid in sterling) has been demolished since the UKs vote to leave the EU. Very frustrating indeed. However it doesnt fully explain it because Dollar/Euro has always been kind of similarly valued and there are lots of boats in Europe within my budget, but hardly any in the Caribbean!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingFan View Post

Just my two cents worth...
Thanks, good points to note. I dont use Craigslist much so I'll check it out.

And thanks to the poster who PMd me offering me their boat...for $80,000 above my budget Nice boat though!
Old 11-10-2016, 14:59   #9

Boat: Ericson 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by King-stew View Post
Hi all...I recall around a year ago when I start looking here for a cruiser that there was plenty for sale. I was mostly looking at BVI and similar. Today there is only one available (which is sale pending) in the BVI that is within my criteria i.e. 46-49ft for sale in BVI with a max price of GBP 90,000 (USD 110,000)., Plenty available in Europe within that criteria but I was hoping to pick one up in BVI next year when I move there. Any ideas as to why so few available? Is it the wrong time to be looking there? Thanks
Have you been looking at charter fleets ? Also, if you walk around the islands marinas, you'll discover many hidden treasures, such as the Amel sitting not far from my sailboat in ST-Martin

http://www.mooringsbrokerage.com/
Buying a Boat for Charter | Cruising World
https://www.sailonline.com/boat-owne...d-charter-boat
Old 11-10-2016, 15:04   #10
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Less cruisers for sale nowadays in Caribbean?

Caribbean Yachts: used boats for sale in the Caribbean: Monohulls from 44' to 48', Page 1/2

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 11-10-2016, 15:14   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALAIN97133 View Post
Have you been looking at charter fleets ? Also, if you walk around the islands marinas, you'll discover many hidden treasures, such as the Amel sitting not far from my sailboat in ST-Martin

http://www.mooringsbrokerage.com/
Buying a Boat for Charter | Cruising World
https://www.sailonline.com/boat-owne...d-charter-boat
No, but I would! So long as I can get it within the next few months. Buying now to get possession in 3-5 years time doesn't suit me. I'll definitely check out those links!

Thank you Santa!
Old 12-10-2016, 04:15   #12
Marine Service Provider

We work with The Multihull Company and 5 Oceans Marine Group (monohull side of TMC) down in Grenada. I think that we currently have 12 monohulls listed in Grenada. Not a particularly difficult sail from Grenada up to the BVI. Grenada tends to have a lot of boats there due to a lot of cruisers hanging out there for hurricane season. Feel free to email me at chris@ltdsailing.com and I will get you a list of all our current listings.

Tags
Caribbean, cruise, cruiser, for sale, rib, sale