Cruisers Forum
 


 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2013, 07:54   #1
Registered User
 
Oregon Waterman's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Coos Bay
Boat: Toy boat
Posts: 87
Kranse iron ... Cranse iron needed!

Hi every one, long time lurker here at CF and I am posting this in hopes of finding a good used Kranse iron/Cranse iron.
My bowsprit was lost when the po left it and its hardware in the storage yard and it walked away.
I have the new sprit built but have not finished the sprit post to final size/shape yet so I can fit almost any Kranse iron to it. I do not have a spec for the load, pictures of the original show it to be approximately 4 inches long, inner diameter of 4 inches, four loops and maybe 1/4 inch thick.
The S/V is a 36 foot Samson in ferro, cutter rigged, owner built in 1971/1979. Veteran of Mexico/Hawaii.
This is an ASAP item as I have the mast simply tied off at the moment (albeit with 6 lines!) and really need the iron to set things right.
I am located on the southern coast of Oregon.
Oregon Waterman is offline  
Old 18-11-2013, 08:30   #2
Senior Cruiser
 
atoll's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 10,491
Images: 75
Re: Kranse iron...Cranse iron needed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Waterman View Post
Hi every one, long time lurker here at CF and I am posting this in hopes of finding a good used Kranse iron/Cranse iron.
My bowsprit was lost when the po left it and its hardware in the storage yard and it walked away.
I have the new sprit built but have not finished the sprit post to final size/shape yet so I can fit almost any Kranse iron to it. I do not have a spec for the load, pictures of the original show it to be approximately 4 inches long, inner diameter of 4 inches, four loops and maybe 1/4 inch thick.
The S/V is a 36 foot Samson in ferro, cutter rigged, owner built in 1971/1979. Veteran of Mexico/Hawaii.
This is an ASAP item as I have the mast simply tied off at the moment (albeit with 6 lines!) and really need the iron to set things right.
I am located on the southern coast of Oregon.
find yourself a blacksmith to make up the fittings in wrought iron,then get it galvanised
atoll is offline  
Old 18-11-2013, 09:52   #3
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: ontario canada
Boat: grampian 26
Posts: 1,743
Re: Kranse iron...Cranse iron needed!

A piece of stainless pipe the right length and diameter with the appropriate pad eyes welded on shouldn't break the bank.
perchance is offline  
Old 18-11-2013, 10:26   #4
Registered User
 
Cheechako's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Skagit City, WA
Posts: 22,884
Re: Kranse iron...Cranse iron needed!

Probably not an easy item to find. Have you looked at New Found Metals? You have a couple other options: Draw it up on paper and have it made out of SS pipe and bar, or make a model and have it cast from bronze. Getting real hard to find old fashioned casting shops any more though.
Easy to have it welded, buy a short piece of SS flat bar and a piece of 4" SS heavy wall pipe or tubing to fit.
__________________
"I spent most of my money on Booze, Broads and Boats. The rest I wasted" - Elmore Leonard











Cheechako is offline  
Old 18-11-2013, 14:28   #5
Registered User
 
svtatoosh's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Astoria
Boat: Alajuela 38
Posts: 106
Have a stainless.one from Alajuela 38 cutter. $200 plus shipping from Astoria.

Tom
svtatoosh is offline  
Old 18-11-2013, 14:37   #6
Registered User
 
Cheechako's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Skagit City, WA
Posts: 22,884
Re: Kranse iron ... Cranse iron needed!

BTW.... aren't most of these tapered slightly on the ID?
__________________
"I spent most of my money on Booze, Broads and Boats. The rest I wasted" - Elmore Leonard











Cheechako is offline  
Old 18-11-2013, 17:48   #7
Registered User
 
Hoofsmit's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: cornwall uk
Posts: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
find yourself a blacksmith to make up the fittings in wrought iron,then get it galvanised
Oregan

That would be a mileage builder, not so sure about the ASAP though!
Probs dreckly
Hoofsmit is offline  
Old 18-11-2013, 20:21   #8
Senior Cruiser
 
hpeer's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Between Caribbean and Canada
Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Posts: 6,344
Re: Kranse iron ... Cranse iron needed!

There is some guy here trying to sell a set of bronze hardware for a sprit. Krause iron and the whole package of castings if I recall.

Try searching for the posts. If no success send me a pm and I'll look too.

FOUND IT,

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...oat-90613.html
hpeer is offline  
Old 19-11-2013, 06:39   #9
Senior Cruiser
 
atoll's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 10,491
Images: 75
Re: Kranse iron ... Cranse iron needed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoofsmit View Post
Oregan

That would be a mileage builder, not so sure about the ASAP though!
Probs dreckly
taking the anvil might pose a problem as hand baggage
atoll is offline  
Old 19-11-2013, 06:52   #10
Registered User
 
Oregon Waterman's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Coos Bay
Boat: Toy boat
Posts: 87
Re: Kranse iron ... Cranse iron needed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
BTW.... aren't most of these tapered slightly on the ID?
Yes, the original looks to have a taper from 4.25 to 4.0 inches, length was (a good guess) 6 inches. Except for the newish Harken block, the rest of the hardware is original bronze to the boat and I am trying hard to keep it that way. Once fitted, I would have a hard time changing it out if/when I found one in bronze. This is my last sailing vessel in my lifetime and I want her to be at her best before my daughter takes over.
Oregon Waterman is offline  
Old 19-11-2013, 07:17   #11
Registered User
 
drewcathell's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Albany, Ny
Boat: Lyle Hess 30 Cutter
Posts: 19
Mystic foundry in Mystic Conn has Larry Pardey’s patterns and could cast you one in short order. They do great work at a very fair price
drewcathell is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:44.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.