Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2012, 04:17   #1

Boat: Jack Kelley Peterson 46
Kelly Peterson 46 1986

1986 Kelly Peterson 46 The not too common 46, great sailing boat, comfortable cruiser, well equipped. Cruised in the Caribbean by present owner for last 13 years. Well maintained, excellent sails, new dinghy and much more. Not only is she fast but takes on bigger seas that keep most boats at anchor. Watermaker, dive tank compressor, 5.5Kw generator, 85HP Volkswagen diesel, 22" MaxProp, stereo, TV, DVD, SSB, VHF with RAM(DSC capable), GPS, refrigerator, freezer, 3 burner stove/oven. Owners stateroom with head and shower aft, guest head/ shower forward. Petersons are centercockpits that do not stack the cockpit on top of the deck so you are lower to the water than many centercockpit boats for a better ride and nicer lines. Cutter rig, self tailing winches, full batten main on Fredricksen Ball Slide system for easy hoisting and dowsing, new Schaefer Roller Furlers on Headsail and Staysail. Staysail is new, genoa and main are in near new condition. There are 2- 85watt solar panels and a KISS wind Generator, with 110Amp battery charger/2000watt inverter charging 10 Trojan 6V batteries for a total capacity of 1100 Amp hours.
Present owners have been cruising this boat in the Eastern Caribbean and have set the boat up to do this with the greatest amount of ease. The boat is currently on the hard In Grenada, no need to slog thru the thorny path to get to the good cruising ground where the wind is on the beam and the next island is a daysail away. tociba @ aol dot com
Old 09-06-2012, 13:12   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Re: Kelly Peterson 46 1986

Love the pics, and errr..... the price. Perhaps my computer doesn't allow me to see them?
Old 09-06-2012, 18:15   #3

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

My Puter wont show the pics or the price either!! Guess I will have to go back to Yatch world!! Darn Puter anyway !! Just sayin, some of us are really looking for boats !! and have 3 or 4 dollars to spend even !!
Old 10-06-2012, 10:03   #4

Boat: Challenger 38

Don't see any pics? Would be interested. Thanks
Old 10-06-2012, 10:12   #5

This would be not the actual Kelly-Peterson, but the Taiwan version right?

Old 10-06-2012, 10:28   #6

Boat: PETERSON 44
They were all built in Taiwan. KP 44 and 46. Great boats. There was a theft of the line drawings and another company built a very similar boat. http://bluewaterboats.org/kelly-peterson-44/
Old 10-06-2012, 10:31   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
This would be not the actual Kelly-Peterson, but the Taiwan version right?
Actually all the Kelly Peterson were built in Taiwan. The alleged "knock-offs" were built in Taiwan also, but at different yards I believe.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:37   #8

I'm thinking of the Formosa 46 I guess, often called the K-P 46. But has teak decks, alot of chopper glass etc. Still... a thick hull and maybe a worthy project for someone. One was just let go up here for $10k a short time ago.....

Old 10-06-2012, 11:34   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I'm thinking of the Formosa 46 I guess, often called the K-P 46. But has teak decks, alot of chopper glass etc. Still... a thick hull and maybe a worthy project for someone. One was just let go up here for $10k a short time ago.....
The Formosa 46 that is a knock off of the kp46 is a great boat, no chopper gun etc. I can't imagine one selling for 10k unless it is for salvage.. In decent shape they easily get $150k or more.

I believe you are thinking of another "Formosa" boat.
Old 10-06-2012, 16:20   #10

No, it was the KP46 knockoff. It must have been a bit of a salvage/total refit case, I didnt go look at it. Trying to remember now if it was a abandoned boat or what (Craigs list). Heck even if the decks were saturated (as they likely were as all the ones I've seen with teak decks are pretty bad), and if the engine bad, and etc etc. Heck $10k for that hull would be a great deal for those inclined to a 2-3 year project. It caught my eye on craigs list, maybe 2 months ago, as I've always admired that boat design. Formosa built boat with no chopper... surely you jest! I guess it's hard to tell on some boats if it's chopper or the similar cloth product, at an rate shouldnt be used to tab builkheads etc. Someone I knew sailed the Pac in a real KP44 and he loved it. Although he broke a chainplate trying to get back fro Oz. I thought he said his was made in Calif..?

Old 10-06-2012, 16:53   #11

Boat: PETERSON 44
Designed in calif built in Taiwan The most favorite boat I have owned. It's a dream of a boat. When I first sailed mine it blew 35 knots. Not experienced with her she balanced well the helm was easy. We had a moment of coming to Jesus but I learned and single hand often.
Old 10-06-2012, 17:17   #12

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

My friend has a KP 44 and I was dockmates to a KP 46. The 44 seemed a better fitted and constructed boat.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 10-06-2012, 18:44   #13

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

I just tried sending the original poster an inquiry for price, pictures, etc., will let folks know if there's a response that doesn't show up here.
Old 10-06-2012, 19:31   #14

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

The post almost lends itself as a third party. Since it's a first post, I wonder if it is a broker using CF as free advertising?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 12-06-2012, 10:07   #15

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

Here was the owner's e-response:

Thanks for heads up about the lsiting I will see what I can do to correct that. this is just the first action I have taken to sell the boat. To anzwer your questions- I am pretty sure it was built in the Queen Long Yard and the Hull# is 19. It is not a Formosa although it is suppsoedly the same hull. The fit and finish are the same style as Hylas. It does not have teak decks, only on cockpit seats and cockpit sole. I will put together a more complete data sheet with pictures and send it to all imnquiries. Thanks again. Tom B.....

Tags
peterson