Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2015, 20:47   #1

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
ITT Night Vision 160 Monocular Scope

This is one of my prize possessions that I used while cruising. When you have one it can make all the difference between being able to enter or exit a poorly or totally unlit anchorage or harbor. I have used it many times in the Bahamas where "night sailing" can be rather adventurous. Also entering and exiting their harbors where the supposedly lit markers have not operated in years if not decades - is made much more safely and confidently when you have an ITT Night Vision Scope. And the thing is just plain fun to be able to "see" what is going on around you and your boat in the middle of the night.
- - -
ITT Night Mariner 160 G3 (Third Generation) Night Vision Equipment
* * * * Used - $445.00 * * * *

Night vision equipment will completely change the way you think about boating at night, because you'll be able to see everything as if it was day. Find buoys, find your mooring, and see for sure just which way that tugboat and tow are headed. And you won't believe the stars you can see! Night vision scopes amplify the tiniest amount of light (we could see clearly in our photographer's "dark" room!); with either model, you'll see objects just 6 feet high at 250 yards. Monocular units are very light in weight, tough, water resistant, and they even FLOAT if dropped overboard. If you use your boat at night, or if you'd like to start, this really is a tool you should have.

ITT Night Mariner 160 Monocular Gen 3 (not a binocular) -- The new & improved 160 incorporates the same type of tube that is used in our military aviator goggles, resulting in a clearer and sharper image. The new 160 also incorporates a "quick-focus" feature allowing for easy, one-step focusing for the night vision user. This monocular is ideal for situations where you want the high performance of Generation 3 technology, but don't need all the advanced features of a Night Mariner binocular.
Features: Night Vision
Application: General Purpose, Hunting, Marine
Manufactored in the United States
Brand: ITT
Model: Night Mariner 160 Gen 3 Night Vision
Type: Monocular
Max Magnification: 1x
See the next listing for the companion ITT DXKIT of an IR Illuminator and telephoto lenses for the above ITT Night Vision 160 Scope.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ITT Night Vision 160 Front 6765.JPG
Views:	1031
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	100043   Click image for larger version

Name:	ITT Night Visaion backside 6766.JPG
Views:	934
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	100044  

Old 05-04-2015, 20:55   #2

Re: ITT Night Vision 160 Monocular Scope

Part II - The ITT Night Vision 160 Scope Accessory Kit - DXKIT - $250.00
This is the other half of the complete system. The scope is quite functional and usable all by itself - but with this DXKIT you add more capability with a set of lenses for 2X and 3X telephoto magnification. And there is an IR Illuminator that will assist in being able to "see" when even the stars and ambient light is zero.

DX Classic Accessory Kit - #NITDXList Price $250.00
Works with the 150, 160, 250, 260 units
To get your night vision unit ready for almost any situation the DX Classic Kit (268111) is the answer. This kit includes the 2.2X and 3-in-1 magnifier lenses, that create up to 6X magnification when coupled. Also included is an IR Illuminator (for situations when little or no ambient light is available). The monocular IR illuminator and mount complete the package. IR illuminator can illuminate objects up to 200 yards away.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ITT-DXKIT Night Vision Kit.JPG
Views:	849
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	100045   Click image for larger version

Name:	ITT Night Vision DXKit Contents 6768.JPG
Views:	678
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	100046  

Old 06-04-2015, 08:30   #3

Boat: Dean 400, 40' catamaran, Daruma

Sending you a p.m.
Old 06-04-2015, 13:40   #4

I have had some inquiries about this Night Vision Scope system and responded to them but thought maybe I should share some of it with everybody since this type of equipment is a bit of an investment.
- - - -
The whole package originally cost me over $2,000 back before I went on my Caribbean adventure. But back then I was healthy, happy and ready to go so I splurged and subsequently was very glad I did. The whole night vision system came in very handy and saved a few local island fishermen in their unlit pangas/rowboats from getting run down by my vessel.

You can currently buy "Generation 1" night vision equipment for about $200-$300 but you are getting 1990's or so technology most probably with old surplus Russian night vision tubes. The amount of light amplification generated by "Generation 1" systems is very inferior to "Generation 3" systems. In other words, the brightness and ability to "see" in the dark is dramatically different between the generations.

The "Generation 3" is the currently latest technology I can find that is available and the light amplification abilities are a magnitude better and that makes a significant difference in your desire to use the equipment. This is a "Generation 3" unit.

"Generation 3" scopes are now available and advertised for about $2895.00 for just the scope without the accessories.
So I am letting this unit go for about one fifth (~20%) of that. And also the accessories for about the same discount. So the prices I listed on C.F. (and only for C.F. members) are the lowest I can justify - $445 + $250 = $695 for the whole package. Still about 20% of the currently advertised prices for a "new" package of Generation 3 Night Vision monocular scopes.

Bottom line: Is this stuff "necessary?" - I would say "no" so long as your cruising does NOT involve night time entering or leaving anchorages/harbors in 3rd-World countries or operation in waters with native fishermen in their unlighted "rowboats." Or, if you have and know how to use a very good radar system to detect all the unlit small and other vessels - and - broken or absent navigational markers that are supposed to be equipped with lights.

I purchased the stuff because I had the resources and the desire to not be limited to daytime only "inshore" operation. And I am seriously glad I got the stuff, took the time to learn how to use it, and then did use it as I described above.

I would suggest it is a piece of "safety equipment" that allowed me to cruise at night without some potentially serious (even deadly) encounters. But like all "safety" stuff, if you don't use it - what value is it? I personally don't like being restricted in how I cruise, so I used the stuff. Especially since I am not very good at planing my arrivals to daylight hours and also I like to take "short-cuts" through "in-shore" areas around some islands being as I am normally "running-late" on my arrival estimates.

So this equipment is only useful - if you use it - and if you want an extra margin of safety when operating/cruising in places where there are vessels without lights or navigational markers that are only for daytime use if they even exist. You can "see" surf, rocks, shorelines, boats, and lots of other stuff when using a Night Vision Scope that simply you cannot see otherwise.
Old 07-04-2015, 08:26   #5

Boat: Cal 46-3, 46' ketch

I'd line to purchase your ITT Gen 3 Monoscope is still available. Maybe we should have a short phone call to arrange details. My cell is 410-714-4499 Bob, W3GAC (INDIGO)

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 07-04-2015, 12:17   #6

Nice unit. Looks like you sold it, congratulations. A very fair price. Ive been into NV for about 10 years and was a dealer for a while. I must say my PVS-14 is one of the very last pieces of equipment Id let go of, land or sea. In a SHTF situation it could definitely save your life and gives you a major advantage over anyone without one.

For anyone considering this in the future try to find one that is helmet mountable. A good helmet system with a fitting that will allow you to flip it up and down will run about $600 but allows hands free operation, invaluable in crisis situations. Put a 3X magnifier on it and your good with human recognition out to 5-600 mtrs in virtual dark, esp with an IR like he's got.

If money is no object Id consider thermal. NV is nice but is limited by smoke of fog. Thermal, while pricey is able to cut right through either of those. The new Mercedes Benz S models come with it. I understand they (the US gub'mint) have developed a system that will do a NV display overlaid on the thermal but it a starts at 20K and you cant have one if your not SEAL, SF or the like.
Old 07-04-2015, 15:48   #7

Yes, it is sold - and thank you to all those C.F. members who offered to buy it. We definitely appreciate the help we are getting.
JIm & Galina, onboard sv/OSIRIS
Old 07-04-2015, 19:43   #8

Boat: islandpacket

Note to buyer. Let us know how you like it. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G860P using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Tags
scope