Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2013, 06:51   #76

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"
Re: It never hurts to ask..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauimichele View Post
p.s. thanks for the craigslist links. i have seen them all. funds don't allow for it yet, unless i decide to sell my truck or tent trailer. ....
BTW, with those Craigslist boats at $1000-$2500 . . . you don't necessarily have to pay asking price. If you see a boat that you like, tell them your story, see if they might give it away for free . . . or maybe do a deal where you send them $50 a month for a year or two.

You never know what people are willing to do, or how eager they are to get rid of the boat. Someone paying slip fees might see the logic in just giving it away to avoid another year of fees.
Old 19-03-2013, 07:10   #77

Boat: Targa 96

My father told me, 'if it flys, floats or f***s, rent it!' I was too dumb to followed his advise. As a Brit, I have never understood the American view that anything under 50 feet is a day boat. The family and I spend two months each summer exploring the US east coast in a non air conditioned 32 footer. When the children were small we owned a 20 footer on the the Solent England, it had all the amenities of a tent but if the weather was okay, it was our bolt-hole from the city. As the kids got bigger, I got relegated to the cock-pit under a boom tent but we were on the water. We often invited friends down in the summer and surprised them with a berth on the beach. I bought the boat for pocket money with a seized engine and put an out-board on her and stuck her on a half tide mooring. A boat should never cost more than you can say goodbye to and the cheaper you make it, the less pressure it puts on your life-stile, the more you will enjoy it. Good luck and remember the kids won't notice the lack of luxury, they will only remember the adventure.
Old 19-03-2013, 07:15   #78
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Naah... likely still asleep n dreaming off a...
i like that, boaty..is cute.....not as cute as my formosa, but ....
Old 19-03-2013, 07:28   #79

Boat: Just Photographs & Memories Now

If we want a houseboat in Mississippi, we usually would go this route. All the comforts of home. Now I find myself looking through craigslist for some pontoons and a camper on the cheap. hmmm.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	camper.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	57327  
Old 19-03-2013, 07:29   #80

Boat: looking again

thank you! yes, it's mostly going to be an escape from my life. my daughter is a teenager and my son is 12 and autistic and i'm not so sure i want to worry about the water surrounding him in the bay area. he can swim, but not great. we'll see how it goes once i get that boat and i will
Old 19-03-2013, 07:31   #81

haha, that one is cute! i'm pretty sure that's on the sacramento river. i think i've seen it from the freeway over passing. i am not looking for anything fancy. a place for a bed, maybe a spot for two chairs and a small table to drink some wine and relax. a spot for some music and i'll be set!
Old 19-03-2013, 07:33   #82

@don L. my dimples are in my pics, but i can't figure out the icon thing. apparently my pics are too big to post.
Old 19-03-2013, 07:38   #83

Boat: Just Photographs & Memories Now

Quote:
haha, that one is cute! i'm pretty sure that's on the sacramento river. i think i've seen it from the freeway over passing. i am not looking for anything fancy. a place for a bed, maybe a spot for two chairs and a small table to drink some wine and relax. a spot for some music and i'll be set!
I'm feeling you, I am a simple person as well, with simple needs. This could be a fun adventure for ya, and will occupy the mind from the BS life throws at us all. Best wishes to ya. If I was you, I'd hit there area ya wanting to be at, and start puting up flyers, and post on craigslist, backpage, and that freecycle thingy. Who knows what may come of this, if its your Karma, then it will happen for you, if not then it wasnt meant to be. again best wishes for you and a happy ending.
Old 19-03-2013, 07:41   #84
CLOD

Boat: none

I think I'm getting dimple teased
Old 19-03-2013, 07:44   #85

Thank you BlackOak! yes, all great ideas! I may take the day off from my business and head to Sausalito on Thursday to do just that! it is meant to be and I'm not one bit discouraged. I have good karma coming to me. And I believe, believe, believe!
and my personal favorite quote:
Faith is a bird that feels dawn breaking and sings while it is
still dark.
- Rabindranath Tagore
Old 19-03-2013, 07:48   #86

Boat: O'Day 28

MM, I'm not one to tease or fool around like these other jokers. I'd sincerely like to hear more about your "Happy Place" as you titled your photo. We may have a happy place in common.
Old 19-03-2013, 07:49   #87

Boat: Catalina 36

Lots of boats sit in the slips and never get used. Maybe you can find someone that would be willing to have you "house sit" in exchange for keeping the boat clean and protected.
Old 19-03-2013, 09:03   #88
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

My boat lies up in Oregon. I would be overjoyed to have someone take care of it in exchange for rent. Someone I could really trust. Get to know your local yachties. I bet someone there is in a similar situation.
Old 19-03-2013, 10:00   #89

Boat: Colin Archer 36', steel

You can try Wooden Boat and Boneyard Boats sites. They often have free boats listed, but usually needing serious restoration. Of course if it floats, it a boat... or perhaps it's f#cal matter!
Old 19-03-2013, 10:51   #90

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
hunters freak me out too. i'm a vegan that eats fish. so technically i'm not a vegan oh and @bash. couldn't find you on FB., i read your profile though and you seem normal enough as far as boat people are concerned
You're kidding ...right?...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"