Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2015, 18:59   #1

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Unhappy I'm Sell'n the Ugly Duckling

I really hate to do this after all the work and money I've put into her. But home problems arise and she has to go.

It's a 79 Choate 40 that's been totally rebuilt from the bottom up. All the sails were installed brand new as with the Furlex. It also has a removable inner forestay which takes a storm jib. The sails have only seen a few weeks around the San Juan's and a trip down to SF from Seattle.

It has a new 3JH3e yanmar w/only 325 hours. Also has (2) gp 29 6V deep cell batteries, (2) gp 27 12v 625 CCA batteries and (1) gp 24 battery up forward for the windlass. Has a Refrigerator and a separate freezer, both duel voltage along with an ice box

Everything on this boat I installed brand new in the past 10 years and it's hardly been used. Also has a Spectra water maker. It carries 60 gl of water and 60 gl of fuel.

There is soooo much to list it would take all day to list the receipts. As well I'm throwing in all the spare parts, most of the tooling and extra materials, which totally over fills a 10 x 5 storage unite.

It has all new Garmin electronics (MFD, radar & (2) electronic compasses), (2) SH VHF radios, a Vesper XB8000 AIS. A Garmin 441s at the helm with a Matrix 27 fish finder as the depth sounder.

There is still the head liner to put back in, but with it out you can see all the fasteners that were replaced.

It's 42' OAL w/the Monitor wind vane. 12.5' beam, 7'3" draft, 59' to the top of the mast. The displacement is around 18,000#. It cruises at 7-7.5 kt and max's out at almost 9 kt w/the 3-blade Max-prop.

There is so much to list I could be here all night. I have over $100k and 12 years of blood and sweat into her and it like losing a child to see her go, but such is life.
I'm ask $80k for the boat with all the parts, supplies and tools that go with. The surveyor 2 years ago said it had a $200k replacement value and that was before the water maker and extra tanks were installed.

See my blog below for all the work that went into her. I also have hundreds of pictures I can put on a CD along with all the papers and receipts.
The boat is in the SF Bay Area right now. PM me or post here.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ChoateFwd.jpg
Views:	1180
Size:	383.9 KB
ID:	97558   Click image for larger version

Name:	ChoateAft.JPG
Views:	1168
Size:	391.0 KB
ID:	97559  

Name:	image3.JPG
Views:	1067
Size:	359.4 KB
ID:	97560   Click image for larger version

Name:	storage.JPG
Views:	1053
Size:	392.3 KB
ID:	97561  

Old 20-02-2015, 19:09   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: I'm Sell'n the Ugly Duckling

Howdy!

I spent some hours reading your blog about your refit of your boat, before noticing this sale notice. I was greatly impressed by the amount of work you put into the boat. I think you made so many improvements it really shines and looks great now.
Old 20-02-2015, 19:24   #3

Thanks!
Also, it was hauled last fall and I put 2 coats of Trinidad SR bottom paint on her. It's sitting in the Delta (brackish water) so it's still like new. There's just a slight bit of moss that I can was off with a hose and/or brush.

And sorry about the crooked pictures, stupid iPads.
Old 20-02-2015, 20:53   #4

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Looks pretty good, pity I'm not in the market right now. Or so I've been told.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 20-02-2015, 22:49   #5

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Del...I'm sad to hear she is on the market. I saw her when I was in Alameda. She's a beauty. I was hoping to see you in Mexico the end of this year. PM me if you want to talk or interested in crewing the Sea of Cortez...CS
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 21-02-2015, 07:40   #6

Hi CS,

Crewing is something I may consider.

But just to add to this post some of the spare parts include (1) new 80A alternator (2) slightly used 80A alternators, new extra exhaust elbow, a small fortune in multiple sizes of SS screws, bolts & washers separated into plastic boxes. Also a generous supply of water maker filters, along with extra water hoses. There's a multitude of extra rigging parts & extra line. And some extra fuel filters.
Old 21-02-2015, 08:59   #7

Boat: TBC
Talking Re: I'm Sell'n the Ugly Duckling

Can you do it in red?
Old 21-02-2015, 09:03   #8

It's only paint, red would go over yellow very easily.

But red and blue would clash, wouldn't you think?
Old 21-02-2015, 14:07   #9

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

Sorry to hear you're selling. I've seen some of your progress on your blog. Hope she finds a good home with an owner who will take as good of care as you have done.

All the best.
Dan
Old 21-02-2015, 15:54   #10

Boat: C22

Just checked out the blog. You are one talented human!!!! Don't sell it - you will never find another one like it!
Old 21-02-2015, 16:12   #11

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
I really hate to do this after all the work and money I've put into her. But home problems arise and she has to go.
Really sad to hear "home problems" are hurting you like this.
Old 21-02-2015, 16:27   #12

Yeah, the world is cruel, and sometimes one has to take drastic measures to stay free and sane.

There's a bumper sticker that use to travel around San Diego that said; "I spent most of my fortune on fast women and pretty boats (or was it the other way around), the rest I just wasted".
That seems to be the story of my life, too many women and not a big enough boat. It takes a toll on a measly blue collar like myself. Talented yes, wealthy no!
Old 21-02-2015, 16:56   #13

Just to up the ante, here are some of the tools that are going with........

Small Ryobi 10" table saw
Craftsman 8" power hand saw in a plastic box
Rikon vertical bandsaw, 1/4" blades
Delta horizontal metal band saw with lots of extra blades.
B & D Router with a good selection of radius bits.
Dewalt heat gun
Yamaha 1000 watt generator. Had had less then a gallon of gas run thru it.
Home made pedestal grinder w/wire wheels and extra stones.
Hot knife
Miter saw
(4) saw horses
4" grinder, 4 different types of drill motors, cordless drill motor and a good selection of hole saws up to 4"
(1) full face respirator and (1) open face respirator with lots of filters for chemicals. And a couple tyvek suits
Less then a gallon of Westsystems epoxy and another type (can't remember) of epoxy
Lots of paint and painting supplies
6' and 3' Ladders
A bunch of wood rems and the list goes on...................

Oh yes, I forgot to mention that there is also a spinnaker w/o sock and a Kevlar striped racing Genoa for the roller furling.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	501
Size:	413.1 KB
ID:	97651  
Old 21-02-2015, 21:14   #14

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I'm going to stir up the pot here and just say that although my home is paid for, I'm money poor and retiring at the earliest age allowed, in 10 months, with little in the bank. I need to be happy and free. I took off for a year and a half in 2012. It gave me a taste of what is to come. I rented out my house and that helped a lot. I came back to Ca. to work in 04/14 and finally found work 09/14. I only did it to wait out the age to retire.
My boat is on the hard in the Sea of Cortez to the tune of $110@month. There's people who actually live on their boats in the yard during the hurricane season. They pay $5 a day to stay there. In the sailing season, if you stay on the hook, you can live for $500-$750@month.
So if it were I, Del old boy, I would give it a shot for one season. I made tons of like minded friends. I'm just sayin...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 22-02-2015, 09:47   #15

sir,

interesting retrofit can you tell me

are the hull and deck composite and if so what is the core

did choate build the boat or WD schock?

the method of attachtment of the keel. is it direct to the hull or is there a stubby keel

thanks

bruce