Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2014, 22:26   #61

Re: Hookah Diving Rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
There are lots of commercial ones around and quite frankly they are not all that expensive, especially compared to anchors or boats.
The ones that I have found have all been at least several thousand dollars (new). What kind of numbers are you calling "not all that expensive"? If you found one that is more affordable than the ones I saw, I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks,
Jim
Old 09-02-2014, 05:21   #62
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

If all your doing is cleaning your bottom, get a cheap used BC and an aluminum 80 and SCUBA. My SAC rate (surface air consumption) is .67 cu ft per min and about average. At 10 ft or so depth that's over an hour for one tank. What do you need a Hooka for? AIr fills are what, 2 or three bucks?
Old 09-02-2014, 07:43   #63

Boat: 35' Canadian Northern

can one use a octopus regulator... you know not the main one a diver uses but his emergency one?
Old 09-02-2014, 07:50   #64
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontherocks83 View Post
Any suggestions for weights or buoyancy control when using a hookah so you're not constantly fighting getting pulled to the surface?
I have sevral handles that stick to the hull with suction cups,works ok,place them along the lentgh of the hull and go from one to the other..
Old 09-02-2014, 07:52   #65
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by misty View Post
can one use a octopus regulator... you know not the main one a diver uses but his emergency one?

What would that do? Still have to have a tank and first stage reg etc. Usually an Octo is just a cheap unbalanced second stage, but any cheap second stage will do for this, second hand $50 max.
You could knock together a decent, safe Hooka for a few hundred, or buy a second hand Scuba set up for a couple of hundred.
The cheap electric compressor and hose would take up less space though, but it would probably pull close to 12 amps or so at 120V, or 1400W or so I think.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:04   #66

Boat: 35' Canadian Northern

tnx for the reply. I am thinking of building a hookah. Air compressor, octo regulator and food grade hose. I guess I would need to buy fittings. bang! I can clean and inspect my hull. It would just be a tool. not for diving. I like to snorkel for that.

thanks again

skip KK4NOI
Old 09-02-2014, 08:06   #67
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

misty,
if you remember to always slowly exhale as you come to the surface, you would have a very hard time hurting yourself. You'll be fine
Old 09-02-2014, 08:09   #68

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbiJim View Post
The ones that I have found have all been at least several thousand dollars (new). What kind of numbers are you calling "not all that expensive"? If you found one that is more affordable than the ones I saw, I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks,
Jim
The Hookamax I linked to runs just under $US1,000 for an electric and just under $US2,000 for the gas. I have seen anchors in that price range.

Lets also remember that just as when you buy an anchor you will also need chain and line a hooka will need air hose, filters, regulators, some type of vest/weight belt, and a mouth piece that is more secure than a SCUBA mouthpiece because the air hose is much longer.

I would also point out that a hooka used for diving less than 10 feet to clean the hull will not need to be the same quality as one used to dive on a reef in the 30 feet range. But both should have the same level of filters and method to secure the mouthpiece to the diver's body. Also keep in mind that while suction cups can be useful you will probably still need a weight belt of some point.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:30   #69
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
If all your doing is cleaning your bottom, get a cheap used BC and an aluminum 80 and SCUBA. My SAC rate (surface air consumption) is .67 cu ft per min and about average. At 10 ft or so depth that's over an hour for one tank. What do you need a Hooka for? AIr fills are what, 2 or three bucks?
Both systems have their advantages, but an electric hookah is going to be smaller and more lightweight than air bottles, you don't need a BC and the air supply is limitless and essentially free. Plus, with a hookah, you will never forget that the tank is nearly empty and have to run to the LDS for a fill when you could have had your bottom clean already and be out sailing.
Old 09-02-2014, 21:32   #70

Quote:
The Hookamax I linked to runs just under $US1,000 for an electric and just under $US2,000 for the gas. I have seen anchors in that price range.

Lets also remember that just as when you buy an anchor you will also need chain and line a hooka will need air hose, filters, regulators, some type of vest/weight belt, and a mouth piece that is more secure than a SCUBA mouthpiece because the air hose is much longer.
Thanks,
I hadn't seen the prices on the website, so I didn't realize that they were as reasonably priced as that.

Some information from that website would seen to fill in some of the blanks, as to how much is enough in terms of specifications - "Hookamax's E2005C-12V battery system comes standard with a massive three quarter horse motor, which supplies a battery hookah industry leading 2.55 cfm at 65 psi. Hookamax's battery hookah dive system's depth ratings are as follows; a single diver to a depth of 50 feet and two divers to a depth of 30 feet."

Also - "
Specifications:

weight......48 lbs(1x50) hookah diving compressor, weight belt/harness, 50 ft. dive hose and regulator

amperage draw to operate the compressor: 45 amps MAX

HP 3/4

45 AMP DRAW @ 12VOLTS WHEN RUNNING.

OPERATION= 1 DIVER 1/3 OF THE TIME

2 DIVERS 2/3 OF THE TIME"

That sounds to me like the kind of thing that the electrical systems on most cruising boats could probably handle.
Old 09-02-2014, 22:51   #71
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbiJim View Post
I hadn't seen the prices on the website, so I didn't realize that they were as reasonably priced as that.
Don't be fooled by the Hookamax sales pitch. This is not high-end gear. Quite the opposite. Their hookahs are based on the cheapo, nail gun compressors I have mentioned previously. You could absolutely put together the exact same unit yourself from easily available components for a third or a half of what Hookamax is charging.

My favorite bit is the "Floating Kit", apparently intended to allow you to tow one of their 12-volt units around, where you get a $40 pool toy and a $15 battery box for the low, low price of only $350.
Old 09-02-2014, 22:58   #72

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Don't be fooled by the Hookamax sales pitch. This is not high-end gear. Quite the opposite. Their hookahs are based on the cheapo, nail gun compressors I have mentioned previously. You could absolutely put together the exact same unit yourself from easily available components for a third or a half of what Hookamax is charging.

My favorite bit is the "Floating Kit", apparently intended to allow you to tow one of their 12-volt units around, where you get a $40 pool toy and a $15 battery box for the low, low price of only $350.

Some information from that website would seen to fill in some of the blanks, as to how much is enough in terms of specifications - "Hookamax's E2005C-12V battery system comes standard with a massive three quarter horse motor, which supplies a battery hookah industry leading 2.55 cfm at 65 psi. Hookamax's battery hookah dive system's depth ratings are as follows; a single diver to a depth of 50 feet and two divers to a depth of 30 feet."

Massive motor
Old 10-02-2014, 07:26   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post

Massive motor
I am no expert on electric hooka systems and understand your comment about 'a massive three quarter horse motor'. On the other hand I wonder what you think about the much more expensive Brownie using a .75 horse power motor.
Old 10-02-2014, 07:35   #74
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I am no expert on electric hooka systems and understand your comment about 'a massive three quarter horse motor'. On the other hand I wonder what you think about the much more expensive Brownie using a .75 horse power motor.
I think you miss the meaning of downunder's post. I don't believe he is saying that a 3/4hp compressor is undersized. Rather, he is saying that Hookamax's description of it as "massive" is laughable.

The reality is that while a 3/4hp compressor is probably going to be able to produce an adequate air supply, it is also probably the least powerful compressor that can do so.
Old 10-02-2014, 07:49   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post

I try to not be fooled by any sales pitches. I also recognize your real world knowledge based on much more experience than I have underwater. While I do have multiple certifications including advanced open water, search and rescue, cavern, and cave I tend to only dive when I do something like sail to the islands and even then only when the conditions are nice.

I have been happy with my Hookamax, but it is the gas version. I have had it for four years, but have used it a lot more in fresh water spring fed rivers in Florida and not so much in salt water. While the "Floating Kit" does seem kinda cheesy I was not that much more impressed by the Brownie. I am no fan of West Marine and think their products are often over priced but the float I got from Hookamax is more like this

SOLSTICE Solstice 4-Person Dinghy at West Marine

than a $US40 pool toy. I would point out I have seen the West Marine inflatable I linked to go for around $US200, still less than the $US350 Hookamax charges.

I have no doubt one could put together a unit similar to the Hookamax for less than what Hookamax charges (same for any other business). But my time is worth something and quite frankly I could do lots of things I pay others to do because I can always make more money but I can never make more time.

While I am happy with my Hookamax I look at it as a consumable that will have to be replaced somewhere along the line, kinda like the outboard on my tender. So could you suggest a system for me to look into when my current one bites the dust.

Also interested in your take on electric verses gas. I got gas because the motor is 5hp and provides air for two (or possibly three have not tried that) divers at 30 feet with no problem (maybe deeper but I can not confirm that).

Bottom line is while I would like to cruise in a Gunboat I could only justify getting a Seawind and will be applying the same idea when I get a new hooka.

Tags
diving