Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2014, 19:03   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Hookah Diving Rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbiJim View Post
I'm not looking to challenge your statement or say that you are not correct, but I am interested in knowing the reason(s) why a plain old air hose from Sears would not be a good idea. Can you list the potential hazards?

This is just an academic question.

Thanks,
Jim

Because God knows what kind of VOC's it's gassing off etc. Food grade means it's wont hurt you. Chinese baby toys have been know to contain lead and lord knows what else, what about the hoses not meant to supply breathing air?
I'm full cave and full Tri-mix, regularly dive to 200' plus. I tell you the most dangerous depths are the first 33'. You double the pressure in the first 33'. To double it again you have to go to 120 something feet.
You can get hurt breathing compressed gas in less than 10' of water. Take the class, it's fun and pretty cheap considering. You'll have a blast, trust me. But you may find a new addiction
Old 07-02-2014, 19:11   #32

Re: Hookah Diving Rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsadler View Post
I decided to go for an in-between solution.

I bought a small scuba air bottle (I forget the capacity and it's on the boat in the UK so I can't check) and had a dive shop make up a 10m (33ft) length of the same type of hose that goes between the first- and second-stage scuba regulators and installed this hose between a first- and second-stage regulator.
I've seen this done before, usually with larger bottles. It works OK for shallow use, but as you go deeper, the air pressure in your hose decreases relative to your ambient pressure. When you have the 1st stage of the regulator mounted to the bottle on your back, the first stage compensates the intermediate hose pressure relative to the ambient pressure. Leaving the 1st stage top-side will eliminate that benefit. The demand valve on the second stage will probably need to be tuned a little on the stiff side.
Old 07-02-2014, 19:13   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Intermediate pressure of almost all primary regulators is 150 PSi plus or minus. Pressure increase in salt water for a depth of 10 meters is about 15 PSI. rendering the IP about 135.
You'll be just fine, trust me
Old 07-02-2014, 19:14   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
You double the pressure in the first 33'. To double it again you have to go to 120 something feet.
Do you want to check your math on the second half of that statement?
Old 07-02-2014, 19:17   #35

Boat: Marine Trader 36 sedan
Send a message via Skype™ to happyendings

I've seen a hybrid hookah rig that uses a float cradle for the tank that might have some appeal for bottom cleaning, etc. without the bulk of a BC vest and a tank on your back. I use a regulator and tank on the dock with a food-grade hose myself. I have owned a gas-powered Brownie in the past but it was a load to carry around and required a strict PM procedure after each use. I met the Canadian owner of Sea Breathe, a 12-volt surface supplied air compressor, in Placentia, Belize. He pretty well convinced me that his unit was the way to go for a portable SSA unit. Here is the link: https://www.seabreathe.com/

I have no commercial interest in the company, just passing it along.

-Mark Z
Old 07-02-2014, 19:22   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Do you want to check your math on the second half of that statement?

I don't know, just got back fro a nice steak and plenty of Beer. But if I remember correctly 33' of sea water is one atmosphere, so you double to 2 at 33. to double again you would have to add three ATM to get to four ATM, so add 99 to 33? OK, so that's what 132'?
I'm boat shopping, supposed to be having a good time and your wanting me to do math? I suck at math
Maybe my math is screwed up, point is you can hurt yourself at relatively shallow depths, you don't have to be deep to embolize
Old 07-02-2014, 19:22   #37

I usually do bottom cleaning with a pony bottle. You can get them in all sorts of sizes. The largest I have is 30cf. The smallest I have is probably around 6. Something in the 15-20 range usually works best for me when cleaning a boat that is not over 30 feet.

When I'm working face-up, I carry the tank on my belly, rather than my back. This prevents my well-tuned easy-breathing regulator from free flowing as much.
Old 07-02-2014, 19:25   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

It's add three more to get to a total of four?, so 99'?
Shouldn't have had that last 20 oz beer at Outback tonight
Old 07-02-2014, 19:27   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I don't know, just got back fro a nice steak and plenty of Beer. But if I remember correctly 33' of sea water is one atmosphere, so you double to 2 at 33. to double again you would have to add three ATM to get to four ATM, so add 99 to 33? OK, so that's what 132'?
I'm boat shopping, supposed to be having a good time and your wanting me to do math? I suck at math
Maybe my math is screwed up, point is you can hurt yourself at relatively shallow depths, you don't have to be deep to embolize
Sea level = 1atm
33ft = 2atm
66ft = 3 atm
99ft = 4atm

twice 1 = 2
twice 2 = 4

I concur that shallow depths can be dangerous.

Have fun looking at boats.

Sorry to be a nag about the numbers.
Old 07-02-2014, 19:35   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I stand corrected, your correct. I have been so far, we have driven 750 miles in the last 24 hours. Most boats I have looked at are way overpriced for what they are. It's amazing how bad run down a ten yr old boat can be. I've only found one so far I'd consider. Initially I thought it overpriced, now I'm beginning to see maybe it isn't
Old 07-02-2014, 19:46   #41

a64Pilot Your experience is completely normal. All the talk from the internet folks about 30-50% off asking prices etc. etc. great deals are almost all rubbish. There are very few really clean nicely kept boats out there for sale and those that are usually don't last that long if reasonably priced. Its lots of work shopping, we spent months and traveled all over the place before finding something reasonable. Its fun to shop though so have a good time.
Old 07-02-2014, 20:00   #42
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
I'm not looking to challenge your statement or say that you are not correct, but I am interested in knowing the reason(s) why a plain old air hose from Sears would not be a good idea. Can you list the potential hazards?
Non-breathing hose can off-gas toxins. There's a reason the U.S. Navy developed a mil-spec for breathing hose.
Old 07-02-2014, 20:14   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Non-breathing hose can off-gas toxins. There's a reason the U.S. Navy developed a mil-spec for breathing hose.
So then, common rubber hoses are a problem, but commercial nylon hose (like the coiled type), maybe not so much?

I'm familiar with how rubber is produced & I understand how the off gassing occurs. As far as I know, Nylon does not share this issue, even if it is not a food grade.

The coiled nylon type might present a problem with kinking though.

I'm just tossing this out for discussion. I'm not trying to insist that sub-grade hoses are a good choice.

Thank you for the reply.
Old 07-02-2014, 20:17   #44

[QUOTE=a64pilot;1462338 Most boats I have looked at are way overpriced for what they are. It's amazing how bad run down a ten yr old boat can be. I've only found one so far I'd consider. Initially I thought it overpriced, now I'm beginning to see maybe it isn't[/QUOTE]

I'm seeing the same thing in my area. The market is firming up. Most of the cheap boats out there now are cheap for a reason. Good deals are fewer & further between. The good deals don't hang around long at all. I've called on a boat that came up for sale within 3 hours of it being listed & found that it was already sold.

There was a little lull in used boat prices the first two weeks in January, but it disappeared as quickly as it came. I missed the boat on that one, both literally & figuratively.
Old 07-02-2014, 20:18   #45
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
So then, common rubber hoses are a problem, but commercial nylon hose (like the coiled type), maybe not so much?

I'm familiar with how rubber is produced & I understand how the off gassing occurs. As far as I know, Nylon does not share this issue, even if it is not a food grade.

I'm just tossing this out for discussion. I'm not trying to insist that sub-grade hoses are a good choice.

Thank you for the reply.
I'm no expert. But as I spend 1000+ hours every year breathing through it, I ain't taking any chances. Why bother questioning whether to breathe through the $1.25/foot hose or the $.50/foot hose?

Tags
diving