Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2012, 16:21   #1

Honey Teak

I am buying HONEY TEAK (all parts but especially catalyst) and I cannot get it from the manufacturer. I believe Signature Finish is out of business? If you have done a HT job in the past and have extra, well I am in the middle of my job and in need.

You may want to stop using Honey Teak, make a clean break of it if the product is no longer supported, but me I just need to finish this job and then I can switch over to some other finish for maintenance.

I'm in a pickle here so it's pretty much "name your price."

johnnydunc@gmail.com
Old 27-01-2012, 13:14   #2

Boat: Columbia 50
Re: HONEY TEAK

Look into Bristol Finish - it's the same stuff. Apparently the two guys who started the business split up, both starting their own businesses.

I have about a 1/2 gallon of the part a left, but the catalyst sort of solidified....welcome to it.

Matt
Old 27-01-2012, 13:27   #3

Thanks but I've read too many bad reviews of Bristol to go with it, peeling up and whatnot.

Incidentally, much like how Honey Teak went out, Bristol hasn't answered their phones for the past three days.

My follow-on is going to be Awlbrite Clear Urethane. I like the repairability and (relative) flexibility of that acrylic urethane over the harder (but more chem & ding resistant) polyester urethanes like Epiphanes PU and Interlux Perfection Plus. Plus there's the virtue of keeping with one system, and I like Awlgrip two-parts for my topside and bottom paint.
Old 27-01-2012, 14:24   #4

Boat: Westsail 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlydon View Post
Look into Bristol Finish - it's the same stuff. Apparently the two guys who started the business split up, both starting their own businesses.

I have about a 1/2 gallon of the part a left, but the catalyst sort of solidified....welcome to it.

Matt
Absolutely not the same product. Did a complete brightwork project just recently for a customer in Honey Teak. Talk to Tom at Honey Teak and tell him they are the same products and see what reaction you get.
Avoid Bristol Finish like the plauge:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...eak-70530.html

Signature Finish and Honey Teak Products - Honey Teak
Old 07-02-2012, 20:15   #5

Re: Honey Teak

Honey Teak has not gone out of business, They had a fire and lost all contact info. You can reach them at their new number 772-932-7076 or 772-626-9065cell. I ordered some today.
By the way, if you have not tried this product I can tell you it will last at least 5 years and can send you pics of this product on doors that gets the full west sun that are still good after 5 years. Best product I have ever used. I will not put anything else on the exterior of any boat that I do the work on.
Old 08-02-2012, 04:45   #6

Sailorman, I got the great news as well. Tom is in fact indestructible and Honey Teak is in fact the best.

I'll re-post here the news that needs to get out:
---------
FABULAINC
SIGNATURE FINISH
HONEY TEAK

Hello;

On 12-15-11 a fire destroyed our facility 100%. All files: customer invoices with mixing records, standard formulas, ship to addresses, phone numbers, and credit card information were all lost in the fire. The phone number and fax number were also lost due to our carrier "Comcast". Comcast has to date refused to reactivate our original numbers. 772/287-6077 business phone and 772/287-6252 our fax number. AT&T is trying to correct this problem. In the meantime our temporary numbers are 772/932-7076 (Land Line) and 772/932-7080 (Fax) or Toms cell number 772/626-9065."

We have a print out of your E-mail. Catalyst, Flow Fluid, and Clear top coat for the "Honey Teak" should be available by 2-6-12. The Honey Teak, White-Only, and Black paint should be available by 2-10-12.

The price for materials will remain at the 2010 rates for now. Can charges will increase and supplies may increase.

To start things going you may want to E-mail or call in your shipping address and phone number. You can order at any time.

Ordering paint: Pick colors from a marine paint chart. Awl Grip and Interlux have a good choice. To match your previous paint color we will need a sample of the paint color painted on a piece of aluminum broiler foil using catalyst so it cures hard.

In the past orders were generally out in 48 hours most times it went out the same day. However for now it might take more time.
The phone will be answered 9a.m.-9p.m. every day Florida time.
Hope to continue to serve you
Old 08-02-2012, 14:34   #7

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner

I have started using Honey Teak on my outside bright-work and it certainly looks good after two coats of the clear-coat. I don’t know how long it will hold up in Florida, but I hope what others tell me proves true. It’s pretty expensive, but if it lasts a number of years it will be worth it.
Old 08-02-2012, 20:45   #8

Boat: Nordhavn 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger
I have started using Honey Teak on my outside bright-work and it certainly looks good after two coats of the clear-coat. I don’t know how long it will hold up in Florida, but I hope what others tell me proves true. It’s pretty expensive, but if it lasts a number of years it will be worth it.
On my previous boat, I had honey teak on my exterior teak for 9 yrs. Every couple of years I'd scuff it with a 3m red pad and put 2-3 coats of clear on wet on wet. No stripping required! When I sold the boat the teak was exceptional and I know the new owner continued using it because he called me for the supplier details.
Old 11-02-2012, 22:56   #9

Anyone have any experience with using their paints? I am completely repainting my boat and redoing all the brightwork. Going to try Honey Teak, but now am intrigued by their paint as well.

Thanks!