Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2010, 13:20   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 390 1990 model Seduction of Melbourne
HF Radio

Looking to buy Icom 802 HF transceiver /AT 140 Tuner /Pactor 3 Modem I am located in Australia and willing to pay all shipping costs ..Please send photos and costing details to ..tim1945@optusnet.com.au

Thanks Tim
Old 20-11-2010, 13:32   #2
Eternal Member

Tim:

There's and 802 and an AT-130 modem (virtually same as AT-140) on eBay right now for $1,799 buy it now or offer. Owner says it's in excellent condition. That's about $600 less than the U.S. price for these two pieces new.

I don't know anything about this seller or the radios...just thought it might be of interest to you.

Bill
WA6CCA
Old 20-11-2010, 17:09   #3
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Tim,

Are you aware the 802 is not type certified for Australian vessels; I am not suggesting you shouldn't get one, just letting you know in case you weren't aware of this fact.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 20-11-2010, 22:52   #4

Tim,
I am having trouble replying to your PM, maybe I will get it sorted in a day or so - standby
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 21-11-2010, 00:12   #5

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Tim,

Are you aware the 802 is not type certified for Australian vessels; I am not suggesting you shouldn't get one, just letting you know in case you weren't aware of this fact.

Hi Wotname.
I'm curious to know what this means, and what the ramifications are. I'm not buying at the moment, just gathering info.
Thanks,
Vic

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
Old 21-11-2010, 03:57   #6
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
The 802 has a higher power than allowed in Australia. 125 watts compared to 150, I think.
801 Austrlain approved 125W (PEP)
802 Output power150, 60, 20W PEP (Selectable)

Icom IC-801E HF Radio Set - products and systems for boat, yacht, RV, mobile home, caravan and remote powered sites, Gold Coast (near Southport), Queensland | Outback Marine
IC-M802 HF Marine Transceiver - Specifications - Icom America

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 21-11-2010, 05:31   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualVagabond View Post
Hi Wotname.
I'm curious to know what this means, and what the ramifications are. I'm not buying at the moment, just gathering info.
Thanks,
Vic
For a transmitting radio to be legal in Australia, it has to type approved by Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA) who are responsible for administrating the Radio Communications Act (1992). Under this act, certain restrictions are placed on the radio specifications.
MarkJ has covered one aspect - max power output. IIRC, another aspect is that a marine HF in Australia can't have operator selected TX frequencies, i.e. all Tx frequencies must be preprogramed by manufacturer or his dealer. The operator only has access to the preprogramed channels. I am sure there are other minor requirements.

As to ramifications - well there are probably none for the recreational boater. It may be illegal to use a non approved apparatus but is it policed?

Of course a vessel in survey would have to comply with the act but would the average yacht be checked for compliance, not likely. Unless of course, one starts transmitting all over the band and causing interference to other legit spectrum users.
Old 21-11-2010, 05:50   #8
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Hey, Wotname, How much difference in real terms would the extra 25 watts make on a long offshore passage?

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 21-11-2010, 05:56   #9

None except in very marginal HF conditions it MIGHT make a SMALL difference in your Tx range.

Tags
hf radio