Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2014, 09:12   #31

Re: Heat Exchanger for Perkins diesel

Hi Irish Rambler,
Thank you for this. I had in fact tried to look at your recommended Serck site but it doesn't come up.I think I also phoned the contact you mentioned in the UK. He was not able to supply. Serck used to do these years ago.In fact I bought one exact original unit made by Serck for Perkins 4236 10 years ago. I have also contacted Serck UK and they don't this work now.
I have also contacted Lansing Marine UK who recommended E J Bowman UK, who first suggested Therco Heat Exchangers , but they were unable to supply. Bowman suggested Lansing Marine UK, who suggested the Bowman EC140, which I would have to modify. Another different Bowman agent said that the EC 140 will not cool efficiently in 30deg Centigrade eg in the Med August, but said that the Bowman FC-100-3891-2 pass would. Bowman said both would work but refused to recommend which unit would do the job!!. Lansing has only done one modification in North France and then when I asked for a guarantee from Lansing they withdrew their offer.The other agent has only done one modification, which is being used on a Perkins Generator running at 1500 revs which is half the speed of my engine 2200-2500 revs so the calculation of cooling efficiency is void.
Unfortunately, I cannot afford any unclear answers and I need a Heat Exchanger that will cool efficiently. in 30 deg C.
In view of the different opinions I shall only think of the Bowman modification when I see it work. So far I am leaning to buying the original Perkins/Serck type with end fittings that require no modification. This is supplied from Golden Arrow Marine and other Perkins agents but is expensive at €2300.
THerefore I may dismantle and recondition my Serck until I see the Bowman conversion with my own eyes.
Old 15-01-2014, 09:26   #32

Boat: Birchwood Centre Cockpit 33, Broom Shannon Class 42 flybridge.

I think in your case I would strip down the old one and see what's needed. If the outlet ports are pitted a good welder can build them up to OE spec for you.
Any radiator shop will do the core.
I have a Perkins lowline 4236 in my boat and with 35/40 c air temps here in the med it runs fine at cruising speed, an extractor fan in the engine room is very helpful.
Have a chat 'online' with asapsupplies as they are located in the centre of the boatbuilding region and have a great wealth of knowledge, an engine number would be helpful to them.
I hope this helps.
Old 15-01-2014, 12:55   #33

Location: Boat currently for sale in Oriental, North Carolina
Boat: Nauticat NC36 36'

Thanks for the info Irish Rambler. I hope that this may help someone else since I ended up purchasing a rebuilt heat exchanger from Mid-Atlantic Diesel for $1,700.00 (OUCH!). Everyone - be aware that some aftermarket heat exchangers that proport to fit the Perkins 4.236 will, I assume, fit the newer models but would not fit my engine built in 1981. I found this out the hard way by buying one and having to send it back.
Incidently, if anyone should need a rebuilt heat exchanger for an old Perkins 4.326 I now have one. I had my old one rebuilt and I really don't think I need to keep it as a spare since the origional one lasted 30 years.

Al, S/V Finlandia
Old 16-01-2014, 01:30   #34

Boat: Birchwood Centre Cockpit 33, Broom Shannon Class 42 flybridge.

You are welcome to any help I can give, I'm pleased you got sorted out in the end albeit a tad on the sharp side dollar wise.
I've often posted on here that we should use a recommended coolant/anti-freeze mixture which may seem a bit silly if you are in the Med/Greek Islands or the Pacific and the simple reason is that coolant mixtures contain not only anti freeze but water pump lubricants and anti-corrosive additives.
These additives ensure that the internal waterways are kept clean and that the heat transfer from the liners and the cooling system can work effectively as it's designed to.

Tags
diesel, perkins