Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2015, 07:02   #1

Boat: CORBIN 39
freash water, salt water claification

302/304: Also known as 18-8 (18% chrome and 8% nickel nominal). This alloy is the most common of stainless. Steel alloys providing good corrosion resistance and strength comparable to galvanized carbon steel grades. 305: Slightly more corrosive resistant than 302. This alloy is largely non-magnetic perfectly suited for applications in aeronautical and naval fields. 316: Extra corrosion resistant. Used in high corrosive atmospheres such as the Gulf of Mexico and the Caribbean where salt spray is highly potent. Approximately 10% less strength than 302 Stainless Steel. GALVANIZED: Zinc coated carbon steel offers some corrosion resistance. G1070 is the most common grade used in aircraft cable and wire rope. It remains ductile over long periods of working. Usually higher break strengths than stainless steel

I suppose Thomas hardware is right. salt water boats do use a different stainless steel, so: put that in your pipe and smoke it! folks
Old 01-02-2015, 07:14   #2

Re: freash water, salt water claification

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailr69 View Post
302/304: Also known as 18-8 (18% chrome and 8% nickel nominal). This alloy is the most common of stainless. Steel alloys providing good corrosion resistance and strength comparable to galvanized carbon steel grades. 305: Slightly more corrosive resistant than 302. This alloy is largely non-magnetic perfectly suited for applications in aeronautical and naval fields. 316: Extra corrosion resistant. Used in high corrosive atmospheres such as the Gulf of Mexico and the Caribbean where salt spray is highly potent. Approximately 10% less strength than 302 Stainless Steel. GALVANIZED: Zinc coated carbon steel offers some corrosion resistance. G1070 is the most common grade used in aircraft cable and wire rope. It remains ductile over long periods of working. Usually higher break strengths than stainless steel

I suppose Thomas hardware is right. salt water boats do use a different stainless steel, so: put that in your pipe and smoke it! folks
sorry for the terrible spelling, getting old I guess
Old 01-02-2015, 07:38   #3

just researched rusting on stainless steel as well. stainless steel does not rust, rust will form on stainless by free irons on surface. due to careless use of tools etc. will not effect the core SS. care should be taken when welding as well. how contrary to what people think.
Old 01-02-2015, 08:04   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Realize Stainless Steel, is a catch all phrase like Plastic is. For what it's worth there is no stainless steel in aircraft, there is only corrosion resistant steel. May sound silly, but it points out that stainless steel encompasses a whole lot of steel tyes, some a whole lot more resistant to corrosion that others, but all forms of steel whether called stainless or not are susceptible to corrosion. Some of course more than others

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 01-02-2015, 12:39   #5

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Re rigging:

In the real world, there are many salt water based boats with 304 wire in the rig, and there are many fresh water boats with 316.

May not agree with the hypothesis, but it is an observed fact.

Jim
Old 02-02-2015, 09:53   #6

I used to make stainless parts for a boat builder named Stevens Marine in Stockton California. all the parts we made were 316. Even they would rust when first finished. So after the parts were finish buffed they were washed down and then dipped in a tank of nitric acid. the nitric acid removed any atoms of Iron that were exposed by buffing. So then they didn't rust.

short story, years later. I met a sailor in Fort Myers Beach that had a gorgeous swan sailboat. He was polishing a railing with steel wool to take the rust off. I asked why he was using steel wool and he told me that the railing was made with cheap stainless and always rusted, so he polished it with fine steel wool. I explained to him what was happening and he would not believe me. I went back to my boat and got my bottle of Mary Kay, I believe that was the name of it. And showed him how easy it removed the rust from one of his stanchions. I do not know if it helped or not, he was pretty set in his way. Mac

Tags
salt, salt water, water