Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2012, 13:25   #1

first sailboat

Looking for advice on buying first sailboat. I am not that experienced and am looking for a sailboat that will be easy to learn on and single-hand as well as a live aboard. I have been researching for a few weeks now and have been getting a lot of feedback as to what size & make I should get that has me rather going in circles! I would appreciate all info & help, Thanks!!!
Old 08-04-2012, 13:36   #2

Re: first sailboat

sailing area and budget?

Old 08-04-2012, 13:45   #3

East Coast, Mainly VA, NC, SC for the summer. Budget $6,000.
Old 08-04-2012, 13:54   #4

You are probably at about the 27 foot level with that budget. Maybe a 30. one person can live aboard a 27. I have seen a couple of Catalina 27's go up here for $3500 and less. Two older Cat 30's went for $7500 or less, both with older diesel engines.
Older boats: Many have bolt on keels, many of those have never really been rebedded and had the bolts checked. Just something to think about. For inshore , non-choppy waters an outboard engine is fine and keeps things simple and provids more room in the boat. You might just search around Craig's list, or some of the sites like Yachtworld and see what pops up. Keep in mind that people think their boats are worth more than they really are. I have seen boats start at $12000 on Craigs list and end up at $7000. I looked at a 27 Catalina that started at $5500 and eventually the owner gave it away free as he was moving out of state. (Argghh... wish he had called me!) Might be best to come upp with some possibilities and then present them to the group here.... each boat has it's own weak points it seems....

Old 08-04-2012, 14:03   #5

Sounds great. Will repost with more specific boats that I have been looking at. Thanks for the advice!
Old 08-04-2012, 14:22   #6

Boat: too many

Balboa 26, leaded swing keel, trailerable, and a Lyle Hess design.
Old 08-04-2012, 14:27   #7

Boat: Newport 27 S-II

Keep researching and go see as many boats as you can. buy a copy of Don Casey's sailboat maintenance (you will need it if you buy a boat anyway) My wife and I are 1/2 through refitting a newport 27 and it has plenty of room for us. Whatever you end up with, be prepared to do alot of work to it to make it yours/seaworthy at that budget. Keep an eye on craigslist, it was the best resource for us, and did I mention, go look at as many boats as possible? I would recommend working as much as possible to boost your budget as well... it will not take long to burn through $6000 when working on a sailboat. It's shocking if you've never done it. don't buy anything new unless you have to and never even go to WestMarine. That place is a ripoff. Craigslist, again, will eventually have what you need for a fraction of the cost. Remember B.O.A.T. means Break Out Another Thousand.....
Old 09-04-2012, 10:59   #8

Make sure you look at a Catalina 30. It's easily the roomiest 30 footer around so for living aboard it's great choice. Probably will have to settle for one that needs some work at your $6k budget, but there are so many around that you can get a lot of fixing up help and Catalina of course is still in business so parts and support are available.. Catalina 27 is a good boat as well, and you should be able to find a nice one at your budget $.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:09   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedoo View Post
Make sure you look at a Catalina 30. It's easily the roomiest 30 footer around so for living aboard it's great choice. Probably will have to settle for one that needs some work at your $6k budget, but there are so many around that you can get a lot of fixing up help and Catalina of course is still in business so parts and support are available.. Catalina 27 is a good boat as well, and you should be able to find a nice one at your budget $.
Yes, lots of room, good sailing and more easily resold than many.

Old 04-05-2012, 14:12   #10

Boat: Chrisler Intrepid

Hey mate, I'm in the same boat here (so to speak).
I'm on the west coast, there is a ton of boats here for sale for 5500-9000$
They are easy to find, but they are older. The person said a survey would qualify it for a nice live-aboard marina. (They require it+insurance)
Check "kijiji" on the east-coast, there are some there, talk to the owner...
Old 07-05-2012, 15:57   #11

Boat: tayana 37

i have a friend that is selling a morgan 36 that needs an engine boat is in florida. he will probably take 7,000 for it.
as for what size to buy..if you are going to live aboard ( ideally, 30-40' boat) ; that obviously doesnt need major $ to make it seaworthy. if you are handy, this boat could be a good liveaboard / cruiser.
Old 17-05-2012, 08:03   #12

My 32' sloop is for sale. It was my first boat and I lived aboard her for 6 years. My # is (772)672-0831.I can give you all details and photos if you are interested.I am located in Stuart,Fla.
Old 17-05-2012, 08:10   #13

Boat: 52' Irwin Ketch

Spend a lot of time on close quarters motoring. While the sailing aspect is important, the most damage and general mayhem can most likely occur with the engine running in close quarters. Practice with different winds and currents. You will learn to tweek your sails as you go.

Tags
sailboat