Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2012, 19:53   #1

Family Sailboat

Hi everyone... here is yet another first timer on the forum.
I have some sailing experience (approximately 30 hrs) and am willing to purchase a boat to sail with my family.
I am looking at 34-44' and a budget of probably $20k - $30k. Was looking at O'Day 37 CC, or no CC, and Cherubini.

Safety is priority and NO PROJECT Boats.

Any and all ideas, suggestions, preferences are welcome.
Old 21-05-2012, 20:42   #2

what is your budget for expenses every year? are you handy? can you work on motors?
Old 21-05-2012, 20:45   #3

Re: Family Sailboat

I am handy, Mechanical Engineer...with a good grasp of Fluid Dynamics. Generally, system issues I can solve, however If I need to repair, I get it done, but it is a mess but works...
Budget, annually.... didn't think of it, however, I think I can cover general operating expenses and probably one major annual issue...
Old 21-05-2012, 21:24   #4
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluiddynamicist View Post
I am handy, Mechanical Engineer...with a good grasp of Fluid Dynamics. Generally, system issues I can solve, however If I need to repair, I get it done, but it is a mess but works...
Budget, annually.... didn't think of it, however, I think I can cover general operating expenses and probably one major annual issue...

What kind of waters will you be sailing in? The Cherubini, for instance, is a tender boat that will bounce around a lot in rough waters. It seems unlikely to me that none of the members of your family will be prone to seasickness. No family is that lucky.

I have a Hunter and I advise my passengers to take Bonine the night before if there's any chance of rough water. it's a tender boat and it feels the motion of the water more.

30 hours is certainly enough time to get the basics of sailing down if the skippers have been helpful to you, but I bet it was only on 2 or 3 different boats -- right? See if you can't network through the sailing people you already know and actively seek to sail on as many different kinds of boats as possible. Ask them the strengths and weaknesses of each one. Make sure you get some helm time, but really scope out the cabin below and imagine *your* family in there. Do you have a teenager who simply has to have some time by him or herself? Then a forward or aft cabin a little away from the rest of the boat will be helpful. You're going to want them all to be comfortable on the boat even if you don't agree with their needs (most parents don't like that teen tendency to physically withdraw, but it's a reality ...)
Old 22-05-2012, 04:44   #5

I have a 32' Columbia that I need to sell because I am moving. Send me an email and I can give you the details.
Old 22-05-2012, 05:49   #6

Well, those are all good questions... I guess like most of us, I have a dream to circumnavigate the world... slowly.. to retire and just head off and enjoy life and visit all corners of the world.
So, at least initially, and at least for the first boat, my intention would be to sail From Maine, Cape Cod, Nantucket, MW, Long Island, Down to probable Chess Bay. perhaps even to take it south for extended Winter vacation.
Teenager.. yes, she thinks she is 27 at least. But mainly, I envisage this to be a boat where my wife and I can spend quiet time together...
I like the questions... poses more food for thought. keep them coming. And Many thanks!!!
Old 22-05-2012, 06:01   #7

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch

Your hunter 31 is not a cherubini. Look up the motion comfort of the hunter 37 cutter very nice ride a cherubini design.
Old 22-05-2012, 06:34   #8

Boat: Gulfstar Sail Master 47
I have a 37 Irwin center cockpit sloop for sale. Everything is new in the last two yrs. Running rigging,standing rigging, awl gripped hull and topside, customs, full Garmin package. Located in lake worth Florida 45k. Reason for selling. Purchased a 47 gulfstar.
Old 22-05-2012, 06:44   #9

My 82 37 c is for sale all new sails isotherm sp fridge martec folding prop. Asking $31000.
Old 22-05-2012, 08:51   #10

IMO center cockpits don't work in boats under 40 ft. Because too much space below is wasted. Some good models for you: Pearson 10M, Pearson 35, Catalina 30 and 36, Hunter Cherubini 33 and 37, newer Hunter 34, various Beneteaus and other french built, O'Days.

Family of 3? Catalina 30 is the only 30 footer that might work if you expect to be cruising for longer than few days at a time.

At your budget don't expect anything newer than 1985 or so. Make sure the diesel is in good shape, Atomic 4 (gas) is ok as long as you are not going offshore, but diesel is better, and the brand of diesel is probably more important than the brand of boat because of parts cost and availability.. Good: Yanmar, Beta, Perkins.

It's a buyer's market. Plenty of bargains available on ebay and craigslist, but you need to be patient if you want to avoid project boats.
Old 22-05-2012, 09:26   #11

Sorry, family of 3 kids + me and my wife... so 5... + St Bernard!
Old 22-05-2012, 09:53   #12

How old are the kids? And if the St. Bernard is as big I think, that really complicates things.
Old 22-05-2012, 10:05   #13

Boat: Celestial 48

Opinion only: With your budget and desire for no project boat, I think 28' to 32' is more appropriate size (and keep dog on land for goodness sakes).
Old 22-05-2012, 10:30   #14

You can buy a 37 c for high 20s low 30s which is the nada price not over inflated prices of most boats. People think they buy a 30 grand boat put 15 in and think it's worth 45. I bought a new main ,staysail and 135 headsail last fall plus a lighter staysail this spring all made by local Doyle loft. This doesn't make the boat worth 9000 more. In the water sailing. You can find a boat in your price range.
Old 22-05-2012, 10:43   #15

OP, if this boat is well maintained, it's attractively priced and definitely worthy of consideration:

SEAFARER 37 CRUISING SLOOP SEAFARER 37 CRUISING SLOOP | eBay

While I am not very knowledgeable about Seafarers, I think they have a good rep.. Designed by McCurdy & Rhodes, very solid, conservative design firm.

Tags
family, sailboat