Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > General Classifieds (no boats) > Classifieds Archive
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-12-2008, 12:05   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

F.S. Furuno NN3D Chartplotter, Raymarine Plotter & Radar

For Sale:

* Furuno NavNet3D MFD12 Chartplotter (new)
* Navpod GP2090 (fits MFD12, also new)

* Raymarine RL80CRC+ Chartplotter/Radar (2003 vintage)
* Raymarine 4KW Radar Scanner (2003 vintage)
* Raymarine RL70CRC+ Chartplotter/Radar (2003, has problems)
* Raymarine GPS (2003, Seatalk, rail-mount)
* Raymarine Smart Heading Sensor (2005, "gyro" / fluxgate compass)
* Raymarine Seatalk converter
* CMAP charts for West Coast USA, and Oceanana. (2003 vintage)

I am replacing my old Raymarine chartplotters and radar with new Furuno Navnet3D gear.

The Furuno MFD12 is new and functions perfectly. I had intended to install this unit at the helm but have now decided to go with the smaller MFD8, because the MFD12 and Navpod are just too big to put at the helm (they fit there, but limit my visibility more than I like). The MFD12 comes with the original Furuno box, cables, manuals, probably everything as shipped. I have had it running on my workbench, but it has never been outside. The software has been updated to the Furuno latest.

The Navpod has a blank face and is for 12" pedestal-guard spacing. This is NavPod's "Grand Prix" series, and is sized to carry the Furuno MFD12.

The Raymarine equipment functions perfectly (all but the small chartplotter which I will throw in for free), but does not have some features I want. As an out-of-production product, it has limited support. This equipment was installed in 2003 and has been well-maintained. The radar was only used to locate church on Sundays. (Actually, it has sailed coastal San Francisco waters, and has made three round-trips to Hawaii). The Smart Heading Sensor provides rate-compensated heading information to the chartplotter and is essential for good MARPA Radar target tracking.

I have manuals for the Raymarine gear, and some cables. The CMAP (vector) chart chips are for the Raymarine chartplotter, and are from 2003 so they are not current. The RL70 occasionally spontaneously resets. Raymarine service may be able to repair this, but I haven't tried.

Prices:
* Furuno NavNet3D MFD12 Chartplotter - $2,250 (List $3,389, ConsumersMarine.com price $3,189)
I am pricing this the same as the MFD8 plotter I am replacing it with.

* Navpod GP2090 $250 (List $667, internet price about $430)
New, in original box and packing. This is a big pod: 19.75" x 15.88" x 7.25". Face dimensions 17" x 13.5"

I will take any reasonable offer for the Raymarine gear. This equipment works well (except the RL70).

Questions? Please ask!
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Old 17-12-2008, 14:22   #2

Boat: GEMINI,105Mc,33.6-MAHALLO
RAYMARINE FS

I'm interested in the RL80 CRC.
How much just for this unit?
sailkane@aol.com
Old 18-12-2008, 06:39   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
The RL70CRC problem MAY be voltage related. They HAVE to have a good, constant 12v supply - they are very well known for this problem.
Old 18-12-2008, 08:00   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The Raymarine equipment has been sold. Thanks for your interest. I am still trying to find a home for the Furuno NN3D MFD8 -- this is a pristine unit, only out of the box for testing.

The RL70CRC+ plotter reset problem is definitely not power-related. This unit resets even when the battery bank is freshly-charged, with solid connections and no other loads. It's a strong battery bank, with good connections, and I monitor the voltage. I did disassemble the unit far enough to re-seat the accessible connectors, but this didn't help. However, I didn't strip it down very far, so I suppose it could still be a connector somewhere deep inside the unit. It doesn't respond to vibration though, so I believe it is a component failure.
www.sailvalis.com
Old 21-12-2008, 22:11   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

All Equipment Sold - Thanks!

That was quick! All this gear has been spoken for.

Smooth sailing,
Paul
www.sailvalis.com
Old 22-12-2008, 13:13   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Passport 47 CC
Send a message via Yahoo to SV Someday Came
Paul

When you did your nav station layout, how did you manage to get all your rectangular goodies to fit the wood paneling? Do you remove everything and custom cut the "newcomer" a place? Do you have a woodworker do the layout?

Are you going to place the Furuno where your Raymarine is now?

Thanks

Michael
Old 22-12-2008, 18:27   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Michael,

Most of the electronics were installed by Pacific Seacraft, or when I had the boat commissioned. The two panels can be unscrewed, and over the years I have added a few small aluminum plates with connectors for the satphone, 12V outlets, and most recently a headphone jack and volume control for the SSB radio.

The Furuno chartplotter will be replacing the Raymarine unit, but since the cutouts are different I am fabricating a new panel from 1/2" teak ply (just as the original panel was). There isn't enough clearance behind the panel for the Furuno to be completely flush-mounted, so I have made a small teak "picture frame" that will stand the chartplotter out from the panel by about two inches.

I am also taking the opportunity to consolidate my miscellaneous connectors and sockets onto one big black-anodized aluminum panel, and this will go below the chartplotter frame (I used FrontPanelExpress.com). I'm hardly a pro woodworker, but this is all simple enough that I think it will look good when I am done. I will take some photos so you can see how I did!
www.sailvalis.com

Tags
chartplotter, electronics, furuno, radar, raymarine