Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2007, 20:36   #1

Boat: Seabird Kayak :)
Diesel Marine Engine WANTED for 35' cruising yacht.

We are still looking for a motor for our cruising yacht. It must be located in Australia (had to be a catch) and prefer one that is in good condition that we can drop into our empty hole.

20 to 40 horses, with 25 to 35hp being ideal.

Need the transmission as well, though if the motor is good and has no transmission then we will cope with that. A down angle on the shaft would be even better as we have a horrible 20 degree angle on the prop shaft to horizontal.

Thanks
Old 04-11-2007, 01:15   #2

Boat: Privilege 37
Have you considered thinking "out of the box"

A 20 degree down angle demands a very specific installation of a normal transmission.

Have you considered converting to diesel electric. Install an electric drive on the shaft, they dont care what the angle is.

Instead of a normal engine and gearbox, fit a diesel generator. The new cats have all sorts of fancy gear to enable the props to put charge back into the batteries as they are running their drives from the batteries. Personally I reckon that although it may be a more efficient system, it adds complexity and increases the possibility of failure. A generator pouring power directly to the drives mimics what we are already very much used to, however, you then have a nice big generator for air con, washing machine etc etc.
Old 04-11-2007, 03:21   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Have you costed new?

Have you costed putting a new transmission on a reconditioned or new marine engine?

It would be interesting to get a price on a ZF 15 MA on a smaller marinised Kubota or similar.

By the time you bring an older engine up to scratch there might not be a big price difference. I stopped costing when reconditioning costs passed $14k and a new engine could be had for $20k.

Lacey Marine has some secondhand small diesels that might be worth checking, as does J.J. Marinecraft.

Small secondhand marine engines are keenly sought after at the moment.
Old 04-11-2007, 13:20   #4

I had not thought of an electric drive. Have come across a couple of hydraulic drives. Will look into those options bit more.

New motors are actually quite reasonable compared to what many want for their old motors that have done a lot of work and seen their better days. It is a last resort but a new motor is a consideration if we can not find a good used one. There was a new Yanmar 40hp with a down angle shaft went for 8.5K a month ago, tempting, but it is just a bit big and we would have to drive to Queensland to pick it up.

Most of the motors we have come across are either huge old long stroke motors that weigh 300kg or they are too big or small in the HP range. Lots are 18hp Volvo or Nanni, or 45-50hp Perkins. Some of the motors have been a great buy, but just not for our vessel.

The ZF15MA is a nice gearbox and is what was quoted by Nanni on a new motor when we enquired last year.

Will keep advertising and hope fully someone will know of a suitable motor.

We have been offered a nice little 19.9hp Nanni with a Aquadrive shaft coupling. Is that too small for our vessel ? Steel 7 ton.
Old 04-11-2007, 16:12   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
It depends...

The size and type of engine that you need depends on the type of cruising that you plan and your budget.

If not being able to power into a 40 knot gale would distress you then a powerful engine is on the cards.

If you think you might end up motoring for days on end in calm conditions then a smaller engine with large fuel tanks might be indicated.

And so on...
Old 04-11-2007, 16:27   #6

Hi guys MBS rules !!
hurth (ZF) 15 M set up for standard bell housing engine 2.5 to 3 $K Aus The down angle box is dearer. New non marinised engine 5 to 6 $K Aus (40 to 60 HP) plus keel pipes, engine mounts and shaft to gearbox flange flexible coupling. I would be a bit carefull with 20 HP. My present on the water boat is under powered and it makes life interesting at times. If you have a very easily driven hull with little freeboard and windage it helps, but it still dosent stop stong currents. Having said that you would find that as long as your not pulling large HP off for battery charging etc, in most cases it would do. Personally I would go a little bigger given the weight and hard chine hull. Being a cruising boat my preference is to try and keep things cruisey !!
Old 04-11-2007, 16:35   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Consider where you plan to do most of your cruising and the availability of parts. Yanmar is very popular in Asia...
Old 04-11-2007, 20:45   #8

Boat: Trismus 37
There are several companies that do marine conversions in Aussie, try googling marine diesel and see what comes up. I have a Diecon Kubota that is a sound conversion now into its 7th year.
Old 04-11-2007, 21:43   #9

Boat: Schioning 12.3 "Wilderness" Bi-Rig under construction
Send a message via Skype™ to Whimsical
Cheapest I found is a non marinised Kubota from a local small tractor dealer and a marinising kit from Sea Wasp Sea Wasp Marine Diesel Generators Silent Honda Portable Generator Sets

A 20 Hp motor was 2,500 and the marinising 1,500

Mike
Old 05-11-2007, 00:50   #10

The self marinising is an interesting idea, I live in a rural town, so I will ask around.

I got a price from Nanni, 10.5K for a 30hp (3 cylinder) @3600 revs, 12K for 38hp (4 cyl) @ 3000 revs, all have 3 year warranty, and the price includes a ZF box with a down angle. Both Yanmar and Volvo were comparable prices when I enquired last summer, though I think they have only 12 mths warranty.

Tags
diesel