Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2015, 07:47   #1

Boat: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142
Cruising Guides $5 each/free US shipping

Over the years I gathered quite a collection of cruising guides. In the years prior to owning Seaweed, they were my inspiration. Stuck ashore, well, there was nothing so good as reading about places I intended to go.

Then I bought the boat and all was well. Tucked the guides into my bookshelf (back row, behind Skipper) and continued my journey.

Unfortunately I managed to get a bunch of my cruising guides with mildew along the edges. Some have damage inside though all pages open and turn without issue. You can still read them.

What happened was this: They were in a bookcase directly above the reefer. The heat from my refrigerator compartment must have caused humidity. That, along with the heat set off the chain that left me with a bunch of books that I don't want to deal with.

Now if I was still on dirt with a place to spread them all out, you betcha I'd fix 'em. It's not hard. See YouTube for how-to's. In a 23' boat? No, I just cannot deal with it.

So today I offer them to you for free. Okay, you'll pay $5 per, and I cover shipping in the United States.

As you can see, the covers need to be cleaned and some are worse than others. These can be cleaned -- I just don't have the room on a 23' boat to do it, nor the inclination. YouTube will have videos on how to do it.

Titles: ($5 each and I pay shipping to any US location)
Cruising Ports the Central American Route by Capt. Pat Rains
Street's Cruising Guide to the Eastern Caribbean (Venezuela) - this one is old
Mexico Boating Guide (Baja, Sea of Cortez, Pacific Mainland, Gulf Coast and Yucatan) by Rains
Cruising Ports: Florida to California via Panama by Rains
Charlie's Charts of the Western Coast of Mexico by Wood (9th edition)
The Cruising Guide to Central and Southern California by Brian Fagan
A Cruising Guide to the Leeward Islands by Pavlidis (by far in the worst shape of all books/cover is shot)
A Cruising GUide to Trinidad and Tobago by Pavlidis
The Yachtsman's Guide to Jamaica by Lethbridge - old, out-of-print and hard to find
A Cruising Guide to the Northwest Caribbean (Northern coast of Jamaica, Cayman Islands, Honduras and the Bay Islands, Guatemala and Rio Dulce) by Pavlidis
A Cruising Guide to the Windward Islands by Pavlidis (cover damaged)
The Virgin Islands by Pavlidis Puerto Rico including the Spanish Virgin Islands by Pavlidis (icky cover)
The Abaco Guide by Pavlidis
Bahamas Bound by Skipper Bob (3rd Edition)
A Cruising Guide to the Maine Coast by Taft
The Turks and Caicos Guide includes Major Cruising Ports in the Dominican Republic by Pavlidis
On and Off the Beaten Path (The Central and Southern Bahamas Guide) by Pavlidis
The Exuma Guide by Pavlidis

The cover damage is from one cover sticking to the one next to it. I'm really frustrated with myself as I should have known about the issues long before now. I simply haven't been in the back row of books for too long. ARGH.

Some are old (from our boat, like the Venezuela book) but others are relatively new. If you want new/pristine, go to Amazon.

I'm tired, and frankly heartsick too. These represent a lot of cash outlayed, though they did serve the purpose of keeping me motivated in the years I took care of Mother (Alzheimer's)

If you're interested, email your list to me at mailto: janice142@gmail.com Thanks.

Post your wishes. Or PM here. Whatever works for you.
And thanks!
Old 04-06-2015, 18:11   #2

Boat: CORESOUND 17
Re: Cruising Guides $5 each/free US shipping

I would take the one on maine I am not into sailing yet but soon. I am in ga but want to see what the guides are like you can put another one in that you think might be good reading send me you address and I will put $10.00 in the return mail I am building a 17 foot open cat boat and painting the hull out side then I am going to put in water and look for leakes then buy yhe sailes and oars as soon as I go back to work late summer It has been fun building her name bucket list
Floyd McDermitt, 78 Gray rd, Carrollton, ga 30116
Old 04-06-2015, 18:44   #3

Boat: Catalina 36 / Morgan 33 OI

Janice; Sorry that you cannot use some of your charts, guides and books. It has happened to us also. They get wet on boats.
Would like to buy some of those you have.
Sent you a PM here and also your email. Thanks, Slowpoker.
Old 04-06-2015, 19:39   #4

Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdermitt View Post
I would take the one on maine I am not into sailing yet but soon. I am in ga but want to see what the guides are like you can put another one in that you think might be good reading send me you address and I will put $10.00 in the return mail I am building a 17 foot open cat boat and painting the hull out side then I am going to put in water and look for leakes then buy yhe sailes and oars as soon as I go back to work late summer It has been fun building her name bucket list
Floyd McDermitt, 78 Gray rd, Carrollton, ga 30116
Thanks Floyd. I'll await your letter. Please send to

Janice Marois
General Delivery
Carrabelle FL 32322

And I've wrapped yours up. Thanks!
Old 04-06-2015, 19:49   #5

Updated list:

Mexico Boating Guide (Baja, Sea of Cortez, Pacific Mainland, Gulf Coast and Yucatan) by Rains
Cruising Ports: Florida to California via Panama by Rains
The Cruising Guide to Central and Southern California by Brian Fagan
A Cruising Guide to the Leeward Islands by Pavlidis (by far in the worst shape of all books/cover is shot)
The Yachtsman's Guide to Jamaica by Lethbridge - old, out-of-print and hard to find

The Virgin Islands by Pavlidis Puerto Rico including the Spanish Virgin Islands by Pavlidis (icky cover)
The Abaco Guide by Pavlidis

The Turks and Caicos Guide includes Major Cruising Ports in the Dominican Republic by Pavlidis
On and Off the Beaten Path (The Central and Southern Bahamas Guide) by Pavlidis
The Exuma Guide by Pavlidis

These are spoken for:
Ed - A Cruising Guide to the Northwest Caribbean (Northern coast of Jamaica, Cayman Islands, Honduras and the Bay Islands, Guatemala and Rio Dulce) by Pavlidis
Floyd - A Cruising Guide to the Maine Coast by Taft

Thanks!!
Old 04-06-2015, 19:53   #6

Note to Slowpoker: I've sent an email and will await word from you... wasn't clear if you wanted the guides or just was looking for the Explorers.

I tell you, if I ran across Explorers I'd keep 'em regardless. They really are the best. Good luck and let me know what suits you best Cap'n.

Thanks.
Old 04-06-2015, 19:53   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Hi Janice.

I can use a couple for daydreaming until I get back in the water. Can put them on the shelf next to my old, mildewed guides from the last time I was cruising.

Would like the Pavlidis Guiedes to: Abacos, Exumas, and Off the Beathen Path.

Also the Rains FL to CA via Panama and Fagan guide to California.

Do you do Paypal?

Skip
Old 05-06-2015, 04:38   #8

Hello Skip. I'm not sure if slowpoke wants those first three. If he doesn't, they are yours. Fagan's California and Rains book are definitely set aside for you. And yes, Paypal is great.

And Thanks.
Old 05-06-2015, 04:44   #9

Updated list:

These are spoken for:
Ed - A Cruising Guide to the Northwest Caribbean (Northern coast of Jamaica, Cayman Islands, Honduras and the Bay Islands, Guatemala and Rio Dulce) by Pavlidis
Skip - Cruising Ports: Florida to California via Panama by Rains
Skip - The Cruising Guide to Central and Southern California by Brian Fagan
Ordered - The Abaco Guide by Pavlidis
Ordered - On and Off the Beaten Path (The Central and Southern Bahamas Guide) by Pavlidis
Ordered - The Exuma Guide by Pavlidis

Thanks bunches!!
Old 05-06-2015, 05:55   #10

Note to Skip: The entire list you requested is yours. Please paypal me when you get the chance. Don't forget to include your shipping address too. And thanks. Heading for the post office in a few minutes but I do go every day (waiting for a shunt to arrive for my ammeter install...)
Old 05-06-2015, 07:52   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by janice142 View Post
Note to Skip: The entire list you requested is yours. Please paypal me when you get the chance. Don't forget to include your shipping address too. And thanks. Heading for the post office in a few minutes but I do go every day (waiting for a shunt to arrive for my ammeter install...)
OK. So I think it was five books so 5 X 5. I'll send paypal asap.

Skip
Old 05-06-2015, 08:38   #12

Updated list:

These are spoken for:
Skip - Cruising Ports: Florida to California via Panama by Rains
Skip - The Cruising Guide to Central and Southern California by Brian Fagan
Skip - The Abaco Guide by Pavlidis
Skip - On and Off the Beaten Path (The Central and Southern Bahamas Guide) by Pavlidis
Skip - The Exuma Guide by Pavlidis
Gus - Bahamas Bound by Skipper Bob (3rd Edition)

Thanks boaters!!
Old 05-06-2015, 09:08   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by janice142 View Post
Paypal sent. Ship to should be included with the payment. If any questions post here or send me a PM.

Skip
Old 05-06-2015, 09:29   #14

Gus: Payment arrived and I'll post your tracking number when I get it. Remember it takes a day or two for tracking to get into the system. Because you're close it's entirely possible the book will arrive before tracking says it was shipped!

And Skip: Thank you. Payment received. I need to know where to send the books though. No address was on the paypal page.
Old 05-06-2015, 09:44   #15

Boat: Gemini 105Mc+
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailorman Ed

Janice - payment sent.
thanks,
Ed

Tags
cruising, cruising guides, shipping