Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > General Classifieds (no boats) > Classifieds Archive
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2010, 18:10   #1
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Cruising Boat in the Sea of Cortez this Summer

So here I am updating the "For Sale" notices I have posted around on the various sailing and cruising websites and a thought hit me: Why not rent THIRD DAY (a 1978 Pearson 365 Ketch fully outfitted for crusing) rather than sell her? Oh I know…there are boat insurance issues with renting and I’ve already called my insurance company to have them give me a price quote (and they didn’t laugh me off the phone).

The questions then become:

Is there someone out there that would want to rent a fully outfitted cruising boat for a month or for the summer in the Sea of Cortez during the prime cruising season?

Is there someone out there looking for a summer vacation of their lives?

Is there someone out there that wants to try out the “cruising lifestyle” without having to buy and ready a boat?

My gut tells me that there is and that I could be better off financially in renting THIRD DAY rather than selling her. [Important note: this is my gut talking here and it has not been calibrated by the all so important Admiral yet]

This type of thinking outside the box either makes you a genius if it works out or gets you committed to a nut house and since many of our friends are checking into vacancies at many of the leading mental health facilities for me after our bigger boat buy, why not give them the evidence to go all the way!

So if you are interested, shoot me an email at svthirdday@yahoo.com, let’s talk!
Old 25-05-2010, 07:20   #2

Boat: finally a catamaran dive boat...
Send a message via MSN to cdennyb Send a message via Skype™ to cdennyb
OMG, a second business venture, chartering! What a great idea Rich.
Old 25-05-2010, 07:24   #3

Boat: Sold Sigma 33 OOD some time ago, will be chartering in Turkey really soon
What service apparatus would you have in place?
Sailors renting yachts for a month or less expects things to be fixed (within 4 hours please) when they break down; in my experience something always breaks down; even if you 'charter' for just a week.
Old 25-05-2010, 11:16   #4

Boat: Pearson 424 Ketch
Rich:

You may want to contact the OP of this thread. If you have insurance, they may be interested.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...oat-38240.html

Paul
Old 26-05-2010, 16:54   #5

Having just left the Sea of Cortez, the problem is it's just darn hot there in the summer. The second big problem, hurricane season. I just put my boat on the hard and temps are hitting in the high 90's already and it's still early.

Winter is another proposition altogether. We're in San Carlos, which would a good location to rent a boat. There's a few people I can think of that would be helplful.

JC
Old 29-05-2010, 19:36   #6
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Just goes to show how different cruisers like different things. Last summer in the Northern Sea of Cortez was by far the best cruising we've had and beats the "fools Gold" (as I call it) Gold Cost hands down. We can't wait to get our new boat down there ASAP and enjoy another great summer of fishing, diving, and swimming.

Out of the people I've spoken to that have done the summer in the Northern Sea...I've never met anyone who didn't rank it as a cruise highlight. Hot...sure it's hot but the water temps perfect!
Old 29-05-2010, 19:52   #7

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Sex in The Sea of Cortez:

From 2 feet away, you extend your index finger.

Your spouse/significant other does the same.Fingers briefly touch, then quickly retreat.

You say,

"It was good for me, was it good for you?"

Trust me, we've been there.

You can feel the heat of the other person when they're 2 feet away!!

In early June in Bahia Conception, with 30 knot winds it is like sticking your head in an oven.

Ayn Rand
Old 29-05-2010, 21:57   #8
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post

In early June in Bahia Conception, with 30 knot winds it is like sticking your head in an oven.
Who's in Bahia Conception during June.... Santa Rosilia''s the same...gotta get North Amigo...North.

Much cooler and comfortable in the Bahia Los Angeles area! BC's about off limits for heat by the 4th of July Cruisers pot-luck!

Steve, have you summered in the Northern Sea of Cortez?
Old 30-05-2010, 04:10   #9

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
I haven't spent a summer in the Sea of Cortez, but I have been in Phoenix (further north) when the temp was 123 degrees, and it wasn't fun.
Old 30-05-2010, 08:28   #10
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
I haven't spent a summer in the Sea of Cortez, but I have been in Phoenix (further north) when the temp was 123 degrees, and it wasn't fun.

It's no where near that hot in the northern Sea of Cortez. Phoenix is much hotter than the Bahia Los Angeles area. The hottest we saw inside the boat cabin was 95 Degs. That's hot by any standard but with the great water temp swimming and water sports in swimming pool clear water all day seemed to get us through the heat of the day. The temps do drop at night, and sleeping with a fan is the norm. San Carlos and Santa Rosilia are unbearablely hot with humidity being added to San Carlos. But the Bay of Los Angeles, where most people spend the summer to avoid hurricanes, isn't humid and with all the islands to anchor out at, gets you away form the radiant heat of Baja rocks.

The people we met that didn't enjoy their time in the Northern Sea were the people that didn't swim or snorkel and were just limited to spending all day on the boat without cooling off in the water. Now that would suck for sure.

Tags
sea of cortez