Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2012, 06:02   #1

Boat: Young Son, Cutter 43 foot
Cruising Asymetrical Spinnaker

Leaving in two weeks for the Abacos and need to buffer up the kitty.

Origianally bought this sail last November off the forum and it seemed like a good choice. I have since changed my mind (We really won't be ready for a cruising spinnakker till 2013). Would love to keep it but could really use the extra money to extend our spring fling in the Bahamas. Took to Masthead Sailing in St Pete and they measured it at:

Luff-50
Leech-46.9
Foot-30.7
815 Square feet

The sail is practically brand new. The original owner said he had only flown it twice and it looks it. Set up for a continous line furler but Paul at Masthead told me it could be socked just as easy.

This sail was originally listed as "Code Zero" in the January classifeid forum and there are some pictures in that listing.

Priced out the shipping and it looks to be anywhere from $75 to $150 in the continental US. Any where else I don't know.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:24   #2

Re: Cruising Asymetrical Spinnaker

How much is the sail?
Old 05-03-2012, 15:06   #3

I paid $1800 for it but will accept any reasonable offer.
Old 20-05-2012, 09:39   #4

Saw some interest in A-sails so I thought I would try to bring this thread back on-line. Still have the sail and will consider any reasonable offers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Code Zero 3.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	41281   Click image for larger version

Name:	Code Zero 1.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	41282  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Code Zero 4.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	41283  
Old 04-06-2012, 17:51   #5

Boat: Pearson 40

HI

Is this a Code 0 or an Asymetric spinnaker please? From the area it seems a Code 0.....

Thank you
Old 05-06-2012, 08:30   #6
Marine Service Provider

You might want to specify material and cloth weight. It's hard to tell from the picture if it actually has thimbles spliced on. If it was originally built for someone who races, it may attract a wider audience. There are girth requirements for a racing code zero so it measures as a spinnaker as opposed to a headsail.
Old 07-06-2012, 23:29   #7

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42cc

what is the color/colors and what is the asking price?
Old 08-06-2012, 03:56   #8

The sail is solid royal blue. This sail was originally built for a Beneteau 43 as a racing code zero. It was orginally on a Fancor 2500 CL furling system. I paid $1800 for the sail last December and never used it. The original owner said that he used twice but had to retire from racing due to health issues. He sold his Beneteau but decided to keep the code zero because it was brand new.

The meaurements I quoted are accurate and were done at Masthead Sails in St Peterersburg, FL., Paul at Masthead gave the sail a A- rating and told be I could expect to get between $1500 to $1700 for the sail. I will take $1600.

Hope this helps in clarifying this posting. Thanks to all who showed and interest.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:15   #9
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautpegleg View Post
what is the color/colors and what is the asking price?
If you're planning on using that sail on a Tayana 42, it will be way short on the luff. Your theoretical forestay length is about 58 feet.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:58   #10

Interesting. I was planning on using this sail on my Young Sun 43 which to my knowledge is nearly the same rig height (58 ft) and forestay length as a Tayana 42. My current head sail is 53 on the luff and fills the length of the forestay without a pennant. A 50 ft luff on a code zero coupled with a CL furler with a one foot pennant work just fine. I don't see how that would be considered too short. But then again it is all theoretical and since I have never used the sail any potential buyer would be wise to get these questions answered before any transaction is finalized.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:34   #11
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namaste Heart View Post
Interesting. I was planning on using this sail on my Young Sun 43 which to my knowledge is nearly the same rig height (58 ft) and forestay length as a Tayana 42. My current head sail is 53 on the luff and fills the length of the forestay without a pennant. A 50 ft luff on a code zero coupled with a CL furler with a one foot pennant work just fine. I don't see how that would be considered too short. But then again it is all theoretical and since I have never used the sail any potential buyer would be wise to get these questions answered before any transaction is finalized.
The Tayana 42V has an I of 55 and a J of 18.
I can't find the I and J of your Young Sun 43 in my database and I'm not sure if it's the same rig as the Formosa or not.

I think if you tried the sail it would probably be a bit short on your boat which I suspect has a slightly shorter rig than the Tayana.

Assuming your headsail luff is 53, keep in mind the following:

The spin halyard that the code zero will fly from is well above the head shackle on the upper swivel.

The drum height of your genoa is unknown to me but if you have the typical long link plates it's likely a ways up off the deck.

But rather than guesses, why not run a measuring tape attached to the spin halyard at max hoist and see where 50' really is? I think you may be surprised just how high that furler would be off the deck.

If it was being flown from a sock, you could get away with a pretty short luff, but not quite as feasible with a furler.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:38   #12
Marine Service Provider

Namaste,

I'm not trying to kill any deals for you but I deal with people every week who made ill advised purchases of sails not designed for their boat and are asking me if I'll take their mistake in trade towards a new sail. You have a good sail from the sounds of it but it's a limited audience that can use it.
Old 08-06-2012, 13:42   #13

I just stumbled across this thread. I am the original owner of this sail and everything he says about it is true. It is a wonderful sail and was in "new" condition when he bought it. It is a large asymetrical built with double luff lines so that it can be furled on a continuous line furler such as the facnor 2500 that I bought for it hence the code zero designnation. It is not the close reaching code zero that some may be thinking of but it will go forward of the beam. Like he said I only flew it twice both in light air before I sold the boat. It will fly well off the wind because it is BIG. The first time I flew it on my Beneteau 43 (singlehandled) in 5knots of true wind on the beam, only sail up, the boat was doing over 6 knots. It is 1 1/2 oz nylon to answer a question out there. I do not have the paperwork on ot anymore so I cannot give anymore details.
Old 08-06-2012, 15:13   #14
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by idanno View Post
The first time I flew it on my Beneteau 43
Assuming your Beneteau was an Oceanis 43, the I dimension on that boat is 50.4 and the J dimension is 15.8.

That would make the theoretical forestay 52.81.

Just out of curiosity, was the sail built specifically for your boat?
Old 09-06-2012, 03:14   #15

Your assumption is wrong. It was a Moorings 432 and it was built for the boat.

Tags
cruising, spinnaker