Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-07-2014, 20:15   #1

Compass 28 in Victoria, Australia

I’ve decided to sell Magpie, my lovely Compass 28.

I’ve been offered a job in Europe next year and have decided to buy a boat in the UK when I get there, and do my pottering around Europe, rather than Oz and South East Asia.

LOA 28'
Beam 7'
Draft 5'
Headroom 6'2"

Long keeled, thick GRP hull, pre-oil-crisis (1974) and tough as nails.

Here's the text of an ad i have on a popular Aussie boat sales website:
The venerable Compass 28 is a tough sea boat with a full keel and 41% ballast ratio, which is lead encapsulated into the keel. 6'2" headroom, 6 berths, 2 of which are 7' long. Magpie is pretty standard, with new rigging in 2011 and was re-engined by the previous owner, with a Yanmar 2GM16, 18hp.
There's a minor problem with the prop, the mechanic says the taper is wrong, and made a washer as a temporary fix. Apparently she needs a different prop. At the moment everything works just fine, but with too much throttle in forward the prop grazes the keel, as the motor moves slightly forward on it's engine mounts.
No osmosis, as per the survey i had done in July 2013 (available to interested parties).
I bought her in July 2013 with the intention of re-fitting for long-term voyaging. However I've been offered a job overseas and have decided to sell her.
Currently in Williamstown.

I’ve done very little to the boat other than rip out the smelly toilet, get all the halyards and lines working as they should, and given her a really good interior scrub. I also put some pricey new batteries in and routed the bilge pump hoses properly, though I didn’t actually buy a new pump yet.

I didn’t get around to putting in a new toilet though, and I have my doubts about one of the through hulls.

So there’s some basic stuff to do to her, though she’s usable right now for day sailing.

I did have some prop trouble that is only half-fixed. Apparently the taper on the prop doesn’t match that of the shaft. A mechanic machined up a new washer to keep the prop from vibrating, but it doesn’t stop the prop from grazing the keel when the motor shifts forward slightly on its mounts.
What that means is that I can use the motor up to full RPM in reverse, but in forwards the prop starts to hit the keel at about 2000 RPM. It’s fine for motoring sedately in calm conditions, but I suspect that motoring into wind and chop would be slow or perhaps not even possible.

The motor itself runs beautifully and starts easily with its new cranking battery. What's needed according Mariner Engineering is a new prop with the correct taper, and a spacer on the shaft coupling to put the prop back into its correct centre position. Inexpensive enough, the pricey part will be the haul-out.

Currently she’s in The Anchorage marina in Williamstown, and therefore easy to come and examine. If there’s no interest in her over the coming months I might put her on a swing mooring to save costs.

I’ve put a price of $19k on her, but there’s about $2k of haggling room in there (CF member discount!).

Cheers,
Matt
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airborne.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	85285   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0210.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	85286