Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2013, 08:49   #16

Re: Cape Dory 25D or Vancouver 25 Sloop

A Bayfield 25 with trailer sold on ebay early last year or late 2011 for less than $5k with a trailer and Yanmar diesel!

Old 02-09-2013, 09:26   #17

Take a look at the link that Faith posted. The Pearson Ariel is a fine little seaboat. I believe it was an Alberg design, and it is hard to go wrong with an Alberg design unless you are in a big hurry. In equal condition, I think the Ariel will be much less expensive than a Vancouver. The Cape Dory, Vancouver and Ariel are all good boats, so price and condition, and your personal likes and dislikes will make up your mind. Another 2 cents worth.____Grant.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:13   #18

There is a beautiful Vancouver 27 for sale in BC. I would love to buy this boat but hubby says too small. Sigh.

Vancouver 27 pocket world cruiser - British Columbia Sailboats For Sale - Kijiji British Columbia Canada.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:36   #19

The Vancouvers are all capable of world cruising and are wonderful boats especially the smaller ones. Unfortunately if in decent condition they are not the cheap seats so I would pass them over unless I was seriously considering sailing offshore.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:40   #20

The Bayfield 25 is really a 23 footer. They look very shippy and are quite spacious for 23 feet but I would not really want to take one offshore. By the way they go to weather like a straw bale.
Old 02-09-2013, 16:50   #21

Boat: Vancouver 27

That Vancouver posted by terminalcitygirl looks to be in excellent condition. You don't see many Pheon-built Vancouvers for sale on this side of the GMT. Owning a Pheon-built V27 myself, and admittedly a bit biased, I'll just say that the only reason I would part with this boat woudl be to get something larger if the need ever arose. Personally, for a couple, I do not think that's necessary. The Pheon-built versions (can't speak to the Canadian builds) perform better than their reputation would allow. Still not gonna win any races, but easy to sail and a solid motion underway. True bluewater.

The Yanmar 3YM20 (22hp) is a perfect size for the boat (I have a 2004 3GM30F 27hp and think it's a bit too much).

I bought a well-found '82 V27 2 years ago for $30G. Went small for the budget and have no regrets...have lived on larger boats and know that, generally, you get what you pay for. I'd rather have small and quality.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:43   #22

Regarding the size of the boat and prices (vancouvers)

It would seem that the 27 is normally twice the cost of the 25(From what I've seen) While I do understand that it is a way bigger boat, I just seem to drift towards smaller (cheaper!) if that makes sense.

While my plan is not going more than 100 miles offshore right away I would like to do so sometime within next couple of years!

Cheers

-Z
Old 07-09-2013, 10:31   #23

I have a Vancouver 25 in Portland, OR that I might consider selling if you are still looking.

Tags
paracelle, sloop