Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2016, 14:40   #1

Boat: Catana 40 1988
Cal 36 Cruising Project Trinidad

Yacht Cal 36 Cruising for Sale

Quoi Ca Dit

Photo above : QCD in 2005 in Poole, UK

Yard damaged yacht, located in Power Boats yard in Chaguaramus, Trinidad, Caribbean Sea

£6,000 ($10,000) or make me an offer

If you are interested in making a offer for this yacht I strongly suggest that you read all the damage reports I have available and study the photographs. You should then employ a qualified surveyor of your own to verify the current condition and inventory before making the bid. This yacht is being sold 'as-is-where-is'. None of the reports or photographs should be assumed to accurately indicate the current condition.

The boatyard has agreed to supplying 6 MONTHS FREE OF YARD FEES from the date of purchase. For confirmation contact Power Boats, Chaguaramas, Trinindad (website is http://www.powerboats.co.tt/)

If you are interested in receiving:
Damage Survey Report produced by Associated Marine Design for the boatyard
Damage Survey Report produced by Martin Smyth for me, the owner
Repair Cost Report produced by Ian Nicolson for the Court (this report is useful to get an appreciation of the magnitude of the repair work using the above reports, the available estimates, the photos, etc).

You need to send me a message so I can email them to you. The reports are all 2006 vintage and should not be relied on.

For 150 + photos before, immediately after, during recovery, to December 2014. (mostly around 150 kBytes each), please go to the following web albums:

https://picasaweb.google.com/106658824115349604241/RecoveryPhotosAndDamageDetail

https://picasaweb.google.com/106658824115349604241/PostAccidentPhotos

https://picasaweb.google.com/106658824115349604241/Refit20001

The following photos were taken by the boatyard in Dec 2014:
https://picasaweb.google.com/106658824115349604241/QcdDec14

Photo : Power Boats, Trinidad, March 2016

Background:

I have to sell Quoi Ca Dit (QCD) in order to settle a dispute I've had with the boat yard over the yard fees incurred in the eight years since she was knocked over in their yard in July 2006.

The yard has agreed to accept half the sale proceeds in lieu of the debt ... so there will be no debt attached to the boat when bought.

Prior to the accident, this yacht was sailed mainly single-handed from Alabama USA to Trinidad, and up to Antigua. From Antigua she was sailed to the UK via Azores in 2003, where she was officially imported. She was granted an exemption from the Recreational Craft Directive rules due the extensive rebuilding and modifications carried out by me in 2000 and 2001.

In autumn 2005 she started the first part of her circumnavigation. However she suffered major damage whilst hauled out in Power Boats boatyard in Chaguaramus Trinidad in July 2006 where she was knocked off her stands when the yacht on her port side fell over.

This yacht provided me with a wonderful cruising experience, both day-sailing through the Caribbean islands and twice across the Atlantic. She has kept me safe when the weather got really foul, and has protected me through hurricane strength winds whilst in harbour.

She had all the equipment necessary for long term cruising and ocean cruising. This should still be on board and functional, but I can give no guarantees.

Once again if you are interested in making an offer for this yacht I strongly suggest that you read all the reports I have available and study the photographs. You should then employ a qualified surveyor of your own to verify the current condition and inventory before making the bid. See above for instructions on obtaining the reports and photographs.

Basic Spec:

Year 1969
Designer Bill Lapworth
Builder Jensen Marine (California)
Imported into UK 2003

LOA .... actually over deck 35' 6" 10.82m
LWL 27' 8.23m
Beam 10' 4" 3.15m
Draft design 5' 8" 1.73m
Design Displacement 12100 lbs 4685 kg
Ballast (integral) 4500 lbs 2041 kg
Fuel: main tank 85 USgal 322 ltrs {+12 USgal in day tank}
Water 80 USgal 303 ltrs (note current flexible tanks may be damaged)
Mast, Boom, Spinny Pole Aluminium (all spars believed original and undamaged in the accident)
Mast Ht above water 48' 14.6m (approx for bridges)
Rig Masthead Sloop
Mainsail 295.85 ft2 / 27.48 m2 (2001 Lee Sails)
Genoa 304.50 ft2 / 28.29 m2 (2001 Lee Sails)
Spinnaker it should be on the boat (probably original - V Poor condition)
Engine Perkins 4107 (48hp?) capable of 7 knots (working just prior to accident)
Berths 2 x Double 1 x Single 1 x temporary Double in way of saloon table
Running Rigging c 2001 with Norsman terminals

Major equipment c2001 and working just before the accident:

Aries Windvane Autopilot ... folding removable version .... age not known but UK
Raymarine ST5000 autopilot .... new condition and never installed
Raymarine ST1000? tiller pilot
Icom M710 2RT ... marine SSB long range radio with remote head control
Echopilot gold ... forward seeking sonar with LCD display
Radar
40W marine battery charger 240-220v possibly 110v
2 x Dive Tanks
4 person life raft in valise New 2000, serviced 2005?

See this site for independent data and line drawings :
http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=1598

The original colour brochure:
http://www.richardanderson.net/TechSavvy/CAL_BOATS_files/Cal-Cruising%2036%20Color%20Brochure.pdf

Photo midship double berth Dec 2014

Photo. saloon table with views Dec 2014

Brief History
Quoi Ca Dit is a 35'6" deckhouse yacht designed by one of the most well known American designers of his time, Bill Lapworth, designer of the Cal 40. Known as the Cal 36 Cruising, she sails really well, and the deckhouse gives plenty of protection from the elements whilst allowing the boat to be navigated comfortably from the saloon table.

Known Class Problems

Cal 36 Cruising yachts had a few faults. One was a 80 gal mild steel fuel tank located under the saloon and galley sole that was impossible to remove without removing the entire galley and saloon. Sludge and rust would block the fuel supply pipes and the tank would be relegated as useless.

I removed the tank in 2000-1 refit, refurbished it, added an inspection plate and a fuel sample tube and refitted it. The inspection plate has been very useful for removing sludge and other contaminants from the fuel.

Another problem was the poor quality of the plywood used for the bulkheads and furniture. The plywood on Quoi Ca Dit, had mostly rotten and/or delaminated. Most of this was replaced with American marine ply. The furniture in the forecabin is original as is the cabinet and both bulkheads on the port side of the heads.

Improvements during refit 2000-2001 unless otherwise noted:

double chainlocker to take two rodes without the problem of tangling.
epoxy filleting and glass tabbing of all the new bulkheads
Glass windows replaced with tinted 12mm Lexan polycarbonate.
All furniture except for the port side head basin cabinet and the furniture in the fore cabin was renewed with new American marine ply, glued with West Epoxy
The saloon table/chart table is designed to be lowered between the saloon bench seats to make a double berth.
Standing rigging renewed using Norsman re-useable end fittings and backstay insulators.
The mainsail reefing system was converted to slab reefing rather than rotating boom furling which proved to be time consuming.
Harken roller furling gear was installed for the genoa.
New mainsail and genoa
New Plumbing (pressurised water)
Totally renewed electrical cable (marine quality tinned copper wire)

The topsides were repainted with Awlgrip in 2003

This shows the main starboard bilge damage when the stands bent and fell over and she ended up resting on them. The bilge is sheared in this region (see below)

This is the main damage to the starboard bilge. The hull is solid grp and has been sheered mainly in way of the galley stove.

Tags
cal, cruising, project