Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-08-2014, 09:25   #1

Brent Swain 36 for sale

Asking $65,000. Is made of steel, is the single keel version of boat and was launched in 1993. Located in Comox BC Canada. Standing rigging is 2 years old, and the sails are almost new with just a passage from Hawaii to Canada on them. New Isuzu 35hp engine put in in 2004 and now has 3400 hours on it.
Boat is just back from a 5 year circumnavigation and is fully equipped. Has Raymarine chart plotter and Radar. Vhf with AIS. Ham/SSB radio. Depthsounder.
Boat has dry exhausts and "keel cooling" using the skeg as a coolant reservoir for trouble free operation. No impeller pumps, heat exchanger or raw water strainers etc to screw up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Boat on hard.jpg
Views:	1509
Size:	404.5 KB
ID:	86642   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0644.jpg
Views:	918
Size:	415.3 KB
ID:	86643  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0647.jpg
Views:	893
Size:	408.0 KB
ID:	86644  
Old 15-08-2014, 10:27   #2

Location: Dreaming - through the bars to the Chesapeake... Land cabin: near Raleigh, North Carolina
Re: Brent Swain 36 for sale

Beautiful boat. Congrats on the circumnav - wonder why you're selling. New boat or landlubbering for awhile? Recent ultrasound?
Old 15-08-2014, 10:41   #3

Yes landlubbering now. We are not life long sailors. My retirement goal was to sail around the world. (see www.tagish.blogspt.com) I wanted a strong boat to do it in, its done, was fantastic. But now on to other things we like to do and I don't want to pay for boat moorage.
No ultrasound, but I think it would be good as no rust inside or outside of hull, and bilge is stainless steel pot where any water would collect form spills or stuffing box. Everthing welded on, stanchions etc, as they should be on a steel boat, so only holes in boat are the windows.
Old 16-08-2014, 06:43   #4

hello,
Could you post a few more pictures? Maybe the cockpit?
How does it sail? single handed? into the wind? speed? light wind?
Beautiful boat,
thanks
Old 16-08-2014, 07:29   #5

Location: Dreaming - through the bars to the Chesapeake... Land cabin: near Raleigh, North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by txjoe View Post
hello,
Could you post a few more pictures? Maybe the cockpit?
How does it sail? single handed? into the wind? speed? light wind?
Beautiful boat,
thanks
Tagish's master has put some great info on his site, but the link in the message is incorrect. It's Tagish - Sailing around the World

There is a great maritime travelogue on that site which describes the various weather situations that they got into, how the boat responded, and what they did to carry on. I wish other boat sellers had such great sites giving detail about boats under consideration and their voyages/passages. Additionally, the stories on his site make for good reading.

At one point he describes a gale situation and using a tire drogue (interesting) - and how he followed it with a commercially made drogue to good effect when the weather worsened. I liked his description of the Panama Canal trip too...
Old 16-08-2014, 07:31   #6

The boat sails as good or better than some heavy traditional design fiberglass sailboats in light winds, it is not as heavy as some of them. Usually need 6 to 8 knots to start moving. The Brent Swain style of wind vane on boat works if there is enough wind to move boat. For a strong cruising boat it does fairly well to windward. And single handed? I sail the boat single handed when it is my watch at night.

For more pictures, I have boat listed now with a local broker at Wills Marine Boat brokers. I don't think I am allowed to but the link here. If you google it you will get to him. He put lots of pictures in the ad.
Old 16-08-2014, 08:57   #7

thanks,
Beautiful....thanks for the info , great reading

Tags
for sale, sale