Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2015, 08:57   #1

Boat wanted for larger family

Hi all,
We are a family looking to sail with our four small kiddos (under 10) and two Labradors. Wanting to start off in Bahamas and Caribbean. We live in New England.

Wants: at least three cabins, around 100k with a little wiggle room. Monohull or catamaran. Open transom and/or swim platform for ease with kids and dogs.

Would be nice: cruising ready with solar, wind, etc.

If you know anyone selling something that may interest us, send them my way!

Thanks all,
Stephanie
Old 28-06-2015, 10:08   #2

Boat: Hudson Force 50
Re: Boat wanted for larger family

Three rooms, swim platform, cruise ready and at 100K. That is going to be a tough search. A good boat is the Hudson Force 50. It has three rooms and lots of storage space. I love mine. But you will not find them cruise ready at your price.

However, you can find some that require repairs for about 50,000 and up. Plan to spend another 50,000 to get it cruise ready (assuming you do all of your own work).

The Witchdoctor
Old 28-06-2015, 14:01   #3

Boat: csy 37

No open transom but the big Morgan Out Island series like the 41 and 46 are possibilities and can be had well under your price.
Old 28-06-2015, 19:45   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

The three cabin Beneteau 381 would probably work. You would likely be at the top of your budget after outfitting however.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Old 29-06-2015, 09:03   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

If you need three sleeping cabins, that is no one uses the fold down settee in the main cabin, that will limit the options somewhat.

Most of the center cockpit/aft cabin designs have a nice, big, private aft cabin but only a forepeak forward so someone has to sleep on the sofa.

The first options that come to mine are some of the charter versions Hunter or Beneteau that have the aft cabin divided by a bulkhead into two cabins. Makes them a bit snug, no walk around and you have to climb into the bed but gives two private cabins aft and the forepeak with a double forward.

Agree that getting one ready to go for $100K will be tight. Not impossible if you look long and hard you might get lucky but would probably have to be an older one with very few bells and whistles, older electronics and such.

So how's your family DIY skills?
Old 29-06-2015, 09:17   #6

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onecrazymamma View Post
Hi all,
We are a family looking to sail with our four small kiddos (under 10) and two Labradors. Wanting to start off in Bahamas and Caribbean. We live in New England.

Wants: at least three cabins, around 100k with a little wiggle room. Monohull or catamaran. Open transom and/or swim platform for ease with kids and dogs.

Would be nice: cruising ready with solar, wind, etc.

If you know anyone selling something that may interest us, send them my way!

Thanks all,
Stephanie
At your price point and berth requirements you may look for a cat that has been in the charter business? It might come in on the + side of you wiggle room.
God help you with that many young'uns and dogs aboard.
Old 29-06-2015, 09:35   #7
cruiser

Your expectations aren't realistic.
Old 29-06-2015, 09:37   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Google 'Catamarans for Sale by Owner.' Remember that these are asking prices - the actual sold values are often substantially lower. Also, 'Large catamarans for sale' website has a number of cats.
You can certainly buy one of the older Prouts (33, 35 or 37ft) in this price bracket. They are no rocket sleigh but they are comfortable, tough and beyond all, safe. See 'Large Catamarans For Sale' and search 'Sailing Catamarans for Sale' - right now they are showing just one Prout Event 34ft at $76K. That may be negotiated? All these Prouts can be used for world cruising - after the checks that anyone would want to do for such a venture. Even consider looking in Europe / Mediterranean and start your journey from there? Last year we saw a beautiful Prout Snowgoose 35 for sale in Kyrenia, Cyprus at $65k and she was in amazing condition and loaded with kit - but has since been sold (a friend bought it) - that went for $52k including low hours diesel motors, small RIB with 9.9hp Yamaha, radar, chart plotter, solar panels, Honda generator and a small 12v water maker plus plus plus. The deals exist out there. Message me if you want any assistance at finding a cheap cat.
Old 29-06-2015, 10:09   #9

Boat: Horstman 38 Trimaran

We bought a 1997 38' Hotstman Tristar three years ago after a lot of negotiations for about 50k and put another 40k to get it in top shape. Scott Fratcher book was a big help- How to buy boats on the cheap.

Amazon.com: How to buy boats cheap (Crusing Careers Book 1) eBook: Scott Fratcher: Kindle Store
Old 29-06-2015, 13:32   #10

Boat: Ex Salina 48, now Lagoon 380
Send a message via Skype™ to spiv

Sorry to say that if you want to live aboard with your family, I believe you need at least a 40' cat.
Any smaller and you'll probably regret.
Save some more, sell some more stuff and get a boat that will give you a bit more room.
Old 30-06-2015, 17:38   #11

We have looked at a decent amount of boats. We were really impressed with a 2000 Beneteau 411, but feel the layout is just a bit small, and really for the storage. I think our money spot is around 45'... loved the Bavarias.

My husband is a naval architect, retiring fromt he Coast Guard this week, and grew up on boats in Florida, so I would say his DIY skills are better than most.

We do realize our budget is tight, but have seen boats that would suit us for not very far off of our budget, that are well equipped.

We are going to look at a Bruce Roberts design 45' next week in Boston.

Thanks for your opinions...we know this won't be a slam dunk, but feel with some patience we should be able to find something that will work for us.
Old 01-07-2015, 07:38   #12

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
We have looked at a decent amount of boats. We were really impressed with a 2000 Beneteau 411, but feel the layout is just a bit small, and really for the storage. I think our money spot is around 45'... loved the Bavarias.

My husband is a naval architect, retiring fromt he Coast Guard this week, and grew up on boats in Florida, so I would say his DIY skills are better than most.

We do realize our budget is tight, but have seen boats that would suit us for not very far off of our budget, that are well equipped.

We are going to look at a Bruce Roberts design 45' next week in Boston.

Thanks for your opinions...we know this won't be a slam dunk, but feel with some patience we should be able to find something that will work for us.
Just a caution on the Bruce Roberts. It is probably a one off buy someone.

Insurance my be nearly impossible to get.
Old 01-07-2015, 08:12   #13

It was built in South Africa by Fortuna?

Thoughts?
Old 01-07-2015, 08:20   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
It was built in South Africa by Fortuna?

Thoughts?
To expand a little on the comment from Cadence, Bruce Roberts it a boat designer, not a builder. They sell plans for their designs, mostly to home builders. However I have encountered a number of Roberts design that were professionally built in South Africa. Not certain of the name but Fortuna might be the one. I inspected one many years ago and it seemed to be built reasonably well.

In this case I would say caveat emptor. Get a good survey before moving on any boat but especially on one that is a one off, custom, home built or from an unknown builder.
Old 01-07-2015, 08:23   #15

Yes, built in South Africa, and a survey a must on any vessel. We will have a better idea once we view the boat next week.

The boat has had three owners, and the two previous were friends. The family sailed with their three children and did what we want to do. Definitely worth the look for us because it is somewhat local and in our price range, and completely outfitted for extended cruising.

Tags
family, wanted