Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > General Classifieds (no boats) > Classifieds Archive
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2012, 09:31   #46

Boat: S&S Hughes 38
Re: Bluewater Circumnavigation Capable Sailboat 50K

In reality,you don't get much for less than $60k.I have been watching the numbers for a long time.
Old 19-06-2012, 10:45   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by highseas
In reality,you don't get much for less than $60k.I have been watching the numbers for a long time.
I concur with this (at least as far as the posters requirements go anyway). I've been shopping for a good 9 months now and anything i've seen that looked like a great deal had something wrong with it.

I've had to up my budget and lower my requirements. I have a much more realistic view of the market now than I did a year ago. Good boats may be cheaper now than 4 years ago but that doesn't mean people are trying to give their good boats away. There may be some steals out there but you'd better get to them quick cause they don't last long.

Good boat are still demanding pretty good prices.
Old 19-06-2012, 11:22   #48

Boat: ex-Tartan 40

This message is cross-posted from a Tartan list. Depending on condition, it could be a good fit for you. I know nothing about the boat or the person posting.

Hello I am assisting with selling the 1976 Tartan TOCK, Bright Star which was owned by my father in law prior to passing away a few months ago. I hope you do not mind me posting this ad, I thought your Yahoo Groups may have someone that is interested. I have been following you group for a few weeks now. I have a Catalina30 there a Catalina 30 Yahoo group also much of the discussion is very similar. Thanks for your time.
Below is description of Bright Star pictures are located at the link.
https://picasaweb.google.com/1157060...TOCKBrightStar

Contact Information: dw.mpsa at gmail dot com

Year: 1976
Price: $42,900
Located: Cobb Island, MD
Forward and aft heads
Great cabin 22x13
U-Shaped dinette
Enormous refrigerator
Separate large freezer
Double stainless steel sinks
Three burner propane stove with oven
LectraSan
New sail covers on order FX

Dimensions Engines:
LOA: 41 ft 4 in
Beam: 13 ft 3 in Draft: 4'10''

Engine:
Ford Lehman
Total Power: 80 HP
Engine Hours: 4,972

Tanks:
Fresh Water Tanks: (150 Gallons)
Fuel Tanks: (120 Gallons)
Holding Tanks: (15 Gallons)

Electronics:
Autohelm: ST7000, Tridata
Wind, Navdata

The Tartan TOCK is a S&S design. It is descriped as a fast cruiser. This boat is set up for a couple to live aboard and/or cruise. Through the walkway on stbd, you'll find easy access to the engine room and tons of storage; then you enter a mid-cabin that has an single bunk over a double bunk, a desk and chair, and three large storage hanging lockers; forward of that is a V-Berth with a double berth and more storage. Like new mast and rigging, sails in very good condition, all lines lead to the cockpit. This 41 foot yacht could be easily single handed. If your dream is to go to the islands or enjoy time on the Chesapeake, you can do it on this boat.
S/V Sapphire Tartan 40 #71

Old 19-06-2012, 11:45   #49

Dream Catcher,a KP 44, was for sale and lying on the hard at Port Annapolis. I talked with the seller a few times but ultimately felt the boat a shad too big for what I was looking for.

If someone is truly interested in the boat then please PM me and I will try to dig up the owner's phone number. He was living in Florida as far as I know.

As for a $50K boat, it needed a complete cleaning after sitting on the hard for too long, had some new rigging and new electric. Looked like it needed a new bottom job and top job sooner than later as well as new canvas for the full enclosure. Most others I have seen posted on Yachtworld or similar were asking closer to $120K. Rogue Wave also had one that was a new listing and I think I saw it as sale pending quite quickly. I saw that boat from the outside but didn't look down below as it was out of my price range.

Regarding Jeanneau's and Beneteau's - no offense meant to any owners or admirers and there may very well be plenty that have circumnavigated. The question I have to ask is how many could be rolled, righted and keep sailing? Not trying to pick any fights but just looking for something that can handle something like rounding the horn and come out the other side in good shape.

To the other poster looking for a boat - where are you located?

I e-mailed the Tartan Tock owner but while everything looks pretty good for a nice cruising boat at the right price and it is center cockpit it seems the layout is not couple friendly.

Cheers, Mike
Old 19-06-2012, 13:41   #50

Boat: S&S Hughes 38

Tartans are well built boats,though two masts are unnecessary on a 40 ft. boat.The helm seems very far forward on this boat,somewhat of an issue of cc boats.80 hp seems a bit much.
Old 19-06-2012, 16:42   #51

Boat: Jack Kelley Peterson 46

Mike, I can just tell you that whatever budget you set will likely be blown away in very short order. The Caribbean is no longer the "cheap" place it used to be. Expect US price plus on most everything except rum. I have heard many stories of big prices everywhere except Indonesia. Get whatever you buy set up well here before you leave with a spare for just about everything. Good Luck and Fair winds
Old 29-06-2012, 11:31   #52
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Agulhas 45

Westerly Oceanquest for sale in Annapolis. Light in equipment but excellent quality, very light use and open to an offer. see www.enduranceyachtdeliveries
Old 29-06-2012, 11:47   #53

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightstreetmike View Post
Regarding Jeanneau's and Beneteau's - no offense meant to any owners or admirers and there may very well be plenty that have circumnavigated. The question I have to ask is how many could be rolled, righted and keep sailing?

And you want this for $50K? There is no guarantee that any sailboat no matter what price can be rolled, righted and keep sailing. They may still float but the keep sailing bit might be a bit difficult.
Old 29-06-2012, 16:19   #54

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

There are a few boats out there that can be rolled right over, righted and keep motoring.

But they are not sail boats.

They are motor Rescue vessels, I have been on one in Port Stephens,

They are designed for very heavy weather motoring in extreme conditions, mainly to rescue stricken sailors and other persons in difficulty,
Old 29-06-2012, 17:11   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
There are a few boats out there that can be rolled right over, righted and keep motoring.

But they are not sail boats.

They are motor Rescue vessels, I have been on one in Port Stephens,

They are designed for very heavy weather motoring in extreme conditions, mainly to rescue stricken sailors and other persons in difficulty,
Right, they are not sailboats. And they are not $50,000 boats either, not even close, I would bet.
Old 29-06-2012, 18:12   #56

Boat: Union Polaris 36

Your list is too long and detailed to find a turn key boat that price that could take you comfortably around the world.

Look at Tiburon 36 (Cabo Rico), there are a few out there, but most boats will take some effort. It's all about what luxuries you want, not about blue water capabilities. You will be hard lucked to find everything on that list for under 50k. At least in good working order, but it is not impossible. You are going to have to take some risks in your purchasing approach to get the price down.

Do your research on refit costs for items, some are worth buying with the boat (a well installed and grounded ssb, watermaker), some are not (liferaft, dinghy, outboard)

Good luck

Life's a dream, live it!
Old 01-07-2012, 05:51   #57

Boat: 1981 Ta Tong Cape Horn Cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to gts1544

I have a 1981 Ta Tong Cape Horn Cutter 43', identical to a Polaris 43' (flush deck to the mast / small blue water aft cockpit with full canvas enclosure / 2 @ wind generators (Air X) / 2 @ large solar panels on radar arch / 200A Balmar alternator on a Perkins 4-108 / water maker / Garmin GPS chartplotter with 36 mi radar / Interphase forward looking sonar / separate freezer and refrigerator / propane stove with oven / sleeps a bunch V-berth - Pulman berth - Pilot berth - Dual settees - Quarter berth / single head with shower / large storage/utility compartment aft accessed from inside beside the companionway ladder / all new extra thick cushions for sleeping) that may fit your needs. Wife doesn't care for the small cockpit for our coastal cruising. The first 4 pictures are of my boat, the last is of a Polaris 43'. Polaris 43 can be found on sailboatdata.com.
The boat is currently on the hard in Hampstead, NC.
gts1544 / George / 307-256-6650
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10-04-05  Carefree 001[1].JPG
Views:	255
Size:	195.6 KB
ID:	42926   Click image for larger version

Name:	10-04-05  Carefree 002[1].JPG
Views:	267
Size:	211.3 KB
ID:	42927  

Name:	10-04-05  Carefree 003[1].JPG
Views:	244
Size:	163.1 KB
ID:	42928   Click image for larger version

Name:	10-04-05  Carefree 004[1].JPG
Views:	200
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	42929  

Name:	1979-Polaris-43.jpg
Views:	418
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	42930  
Old 01-07-2012, 13:29   #58

Boat: Spindrift 43 SV Falkor

Heres a tiburon but I doubt its turn key..
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...url=&imc=pg-fs
Old 06-07-2012, 16:13   #59

Just e-mailed a sailing friend that was living in or near Kemah and might have her look at the Cabo Rico Tiburon 36. Lots of new (shiny!) parts and pieces but wondering how much is left to be done!

As for the type of boat and my 'list' - I'm trying to narrow down the search and exclude some boats that wouldn't do well in a big storm! While I will do what I can to avoid bad weather I want a boat that can handle bad weather (better than other boats).

At least rum is still cheap in some of the islands! Yes I have been travelling a lot the past three years and it does seem that the bargains that used to exist in the rest of the world are quickly going away. Even if a country or an island is cheap (food or drink or no anchoring fees) they seem to make up for it in entry/exit fees, visas, mandatory moorings, and other charges.

Still looking but feel like I am getting closer!
Mike
Old 22-07-2012, 17:07   #60

We are ready to move to a trawler, and plan to sell our Tartan 42. Designed to be ocean-capable by Sparkman & Stevens, she was substantially upgraded pre-2005 trip to Mexico from Vancouver, BC - upgrades included sails (Main, Storm Jib, Storm Trysail etc); all standing, running rigging and lifelines; windlass; Profurl; solid teak (strip) sole; 2x120W solar panels and controllers; hatch acrylics; twin bow-roller anchor assembly, electrical panels; galvanic isolator; diesel and water tank cleanouts; cutless bearing and stuffing box; Garmin Chartplotter; ComNav 1420 auto-pilot with rate stabiliser etc Boat is hauled annually for bottom paint and zinc changes on MaxProp etc. Last haulout and Survey: June, 2012
Pictures are on Internet at: http://tinyurl.com/2v49znp
Full Specs on request.
John
PS Other same type (but less well-equipped) vessels are being offered between $90 - 115,000

Tags
circumnavigation, sailboat