Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > General Classifieds (no boats) > Classifieds Archive
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2012, 05:35   #31
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
Re: Bluewater Circumnavigation Capable Sailboat 50K

Richard Kahn Annopolis sailyard is the master of cheep boat buying,make sure you get a good survey.
Old 18-06-2012, 05:53   #32

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Lots of beneteaus and Jeanneaus (same company these days) have circumnavigated. These boats have a good reputation for blue water. I have a Jeanneau 40 footer that I will circumnavigate in.
Old 18-06-2012, 07:22   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by casual View Post
Richard Kahn Annopolis sailyard is the master of cheep boat buying,make sure you get a good survey.
What exactly does Richard Kahn do? Is he a surveyor?
Old 18-06-2012, 07:49   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
How about this ...1984 Nautical Development Offshore 40 Center Cockpit Sail Boat For Sale -

Seems to have most of what you're looking for and is in your area. Knock 10K off the asking price and you're getting in your price range.
First time poster. I am in the market for a boat similar to the original poster, although the upward bound of the budget is higher. That's how I found this thread--surfing away at cruisersforum for thoughts on CC boat choices.

I looked at this boat on Saturday. It would certainly do for us. The drawbacks I saw were the fact that is has a single head, and this boat seems like it is one of the CC boats that you sail "on" not "in". The broker has reprints of several old articles about this boat. Seems pretty nice. And there is no teak on deck.

Another question mark is how does it sail? With so few produced, it is hard to google on the sailing characteristics.
Old 18-06-2012, 08:46   #35

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffwynn View Post
First time poster. I am in the market for a boat similar to the original poster, although the upward bound of the budget is higher. That's how I found this thread--surfing away at cruisersforum for thoughts on CC boat choices.

I looked at this boat on Saturday. It would certainly do for us. The drawbacks I saw were the fact that is has a single head, and this boat seems like it is one of the CC boats that you sail "on" not "in". The broker has reprints of several old articles about this boat. Seems pretty nice. And there is no teak on deck.

Another question mark is how does it sail? With so few produced, it is hard to google on the sailing characteristics.
I know nothing about the boats. It just looked good on paper to me and seem to check all the boxes for the OP.

As for only one head, in my opinion more than one on this size boat is a waste of space.

What do you mean exactly by sail "on" not "in"? Are you referring to the fact than on a cc the cockpit is usually higher up than on an aft cockpit boat?
Old 18-06-2012, 10:19   #36

Quote:

Check out a Kelly Peterson 44. Two great staterooms, 2 heads, great sailing boat, wonderful blue water boat. Lots of info and boats for sale at:

kp44.org
Old 18-06-2012, 10:22   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedoo View Post
Check out a Kelly Peterson 44. Two great staterooms, 2 heads, great sailing boat, wonderful blue water boat. Lots of info and boats for sale at:

kp44.org
Yeah, the Peterson 44 and its cousins are definitely on the short list, as a Passport 47. One is being offered by the same brokerage as the Nautical Development. 47 is getting a little big, though.
Old 18-06-2012, 10:30   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
What do you mean exactly by sail "on" not "in"? Are you referring to the fact than on a cc the cockpit is usually higher up than on an aft cockpit boat?
Perhaps it was the fact that the boat was on the hard (eek, heights!), or the fact that this boat didn't have a dodger on, but it really seemed exposed up in the cockpit versus other CC boats I've been on. But my sample size is pretty small: I've only sailed on a handful of CC boats.

Plus, it had this aftermarket gimbaling seat mounted in back of the binnacle. That put you up another foot or so!
Old 18-06-2012, 11:00   #39

Boat: S&S Hughes 38

Have never seen a Passport 47 or Petersen 44 for anywhere close to 50k.A nice Morgan OI 41 sloop on Ebay right now.What about steel?
Old 18-06-2012, 11:10   #40

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Perhaps it was the fact that the boat was on the hard (eek, heights!), or the fact that this boat didn't have a dodger on, but it really seemed exposed up in the cockpit versus other CC boats I've been on. But my sample size is pretty small: I've only sailed on a handful of CC boats.

Plus, it had this aftermarket gimbaling seat mounted in back of the binnacle. That put you up another foot or so!
Personally, that would have to go if it were mine. I think seats like that just look funky on a monohull sailboat.
Old 18-06-2012, 22:55   #41

Well now I have to eat my words.Seeing for the first time a well equiped Kelly Peterson 44 listed for under 50k, it must be true boats are getting cheaper,as long as you avoid the brokers.
Old 18-06-2012, 23:48   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by highseas View Post
Well now I have to eat my words.Seeing for the first time a well equiped Kelly Peterson 44 listed for under 50k, it must be true boats are getting cheaper,as long as you avoid the brokers.
Where? Can you share a link?
Old 18-06-2012, 23:50   #43

Ebay.ca I have my eye on something else,looks nice though.
Old 19-06-2012, 00:02   #44

Speedo. It was there a few hours ago,but at full price only $49000.,now it's gone.That was fast! Just found it ,"Dream Catcher" on Yachtworld.com;deal pending
Old 19-06-2012, 09:22   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by highseas View Post
Speedo. It was there a few hours ago,but at full price only $49000.,now it's gone.That was fast! Just found it ,"Dream Catcher" on Yachtworld.com;deal pending
OK thanks. I found it under "completed listings" on ebay. Sold for $47.5 and it was a steal if everything said in the listing is accurate.

However, I think it may be too much of a coincidence that the same boat popped up for sale at $50k few months back.. I made some inquiries then but the seller disappeared. Maybe the current seller bought it then and has since had it surveyed and found too many problems. If not, as I said it was a steal at $47.5.

Yachtworld shows one in Hawaii priced at $65k, as I recall.

Tags
circumnavigation, sailboat