Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2012, 01:53   #1

Beautiful house in Spain to exchange for motorsailer

Hi everybody
I have a recently modernised house in Spain (Andalucia) which I would like to trade for an ocean going motor sailer yacht.
The house is currently advertised for sale at 99.999 Euros which is way below its bank value. The kitchen alone has cost in excess of 25.000 Euros. The annual cost of running this property is negligible. The small mountain town in which it is located is in the centre of a Natural Park. Please view the pics attached and let me know what you propose.
Many thanks
Paul Chynoweth (p.anthony1954@gmail.com)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1080139.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	47360   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010809.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	47361  

Name:	P1010810.JPG
Views:	169
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	47362   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010811.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	47363  

Name:	P1010812.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	47364   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010813.JPG
Views:	168
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	47365  

Old 29-09-2012, 07:12   #2

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
Re: Beautiful house in Spain to exchange for motorsailer

I wish you good luck, but even a beautiful, well-situated house in a bankrupt country facing a social and economic revolution is probably not a good trade for a boat that can make it to international waters in two hours.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
Old 29-09-2012, 10:25   #3

Hi S/V Alchemy

Thank you for your good wishes. It is always good to have someone elses views about your own country.
What a shame that you are so far away as I would offer you a weeks free vacation to experience how wonderful my country is. Yes, it has economic problems but how many other countries do not?
We have a wonderful climate, a wide, rich, tasty and healthy diet at very affordable prices, a culture that spans millenia and wonderful scenery. We are, at present, the second most popular holiday destination in the world after France. This is obviously due to something that the country has going for it.

Good luck with your sailing.

Paul Chynoweth

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
I wish you good luck, but even a beautiful, well-situated house in a bankrupt country facing a social and economic revolution is probably not a good trade for a boat that can make it to international waters in two hours.
Old 29-09-2012, 11:51   #4

Boat: Searunner 37 Aroha

Nice reply Paul
Old 30-09-2012, 10:41   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulchynoweth View Post
Hi S/V Alchemy

Thank you for your good wishes. It is always good to have someone elses views about your own country.
What a shame that you are so far away as I would offer you a weeks free vacation to experience how wonderful my country is. Yes, it has economic problems but how many other countries do not?
We have a wonderful climate, a wide, rich, tasty and healthy diet at very affordable prices, a culture that spans millenia and wonderful scenery. We are, at present, the second most popular holiday destination in the world after France. This is obviously due to something that the country has going for it.

Good luck with your sailing.

Paul Chynoweth
Just curious as to where the popularity statistics you quote come from?

According to "2011 Highlights". UNWTO World Tourism Highlights (UNWTO). June 2011. (and aggregated on Wikipedia does have Spain in the top 4, but AFTER
#1 France
#2 United States
#3 China
#4 Spain

Although Spain and China appear to be quite close.....

I have been to Spain, lovely country, great people.... well worth multiple visits....

Best of luck with a swap.

Ezzy
Old 30-09-2012, 11:15   #6

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

I don't debate the positive aspects of Spain or the Spanish people, Paul, and I wish you good luck and thank you for your kind wishes for us.

Really, I have a cellarful of Rioja wines. I am all for Spain.

I do think, however, that with a youth unemployment rate as high as is current in Spain, and the very strong likelihood that economic and political uncertainty may continue to trouble Spain and the Spanish for many years, whether or not the EU stays together or votes to eject Spain, Ireland, Portugal and Greece, the idea of purchasing property in Spain is less attractive than it would have been even five or six years ago.

That was my only point: A beautiful house in a country that may have a very troubled future is going to be difficult to trade, even if the people and the landscape are as appealing as is the case with Spain.

I have friends in Portugal and relatives in Ireland facing very similar issues regarding property selling. Perception is everything.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
Old 30-09-2012, 11:15   #7

Boat: Heritage East 40
Paul,

So why leave?
Old 30-09-2012, 15:07   #8

Info has come from Organización Mundial de Turismo:

VIAJES: ¡LOS 10 PAISES MAS VISITADOS DEL MUNDO!

Paul Chynoweth

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzzyD View Post
Just curious as to where the popularity statistics you quote come from?

According to "2011 Highlights". UNWTO World Tourism Highlights (UNWTO). June 2011. (and aggregated on Wikipedia does have Spain in the top 4, but AFTER
#1 France
#2 United States
#3 China
#4 Spain

Although Spain and China appear to be quite close.....

I have been to Spain, lovely country, great people.... well worth multiple visits....

Best of luck with a swap.

Ezzy

Tags
motorsailer, Spain