Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2009, 15:30   #1
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Are We Allowed to Steer Members to eBay?

If there are a bunch of things listed?
Old 03-08-2009, 15:47   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Nope.

Why?

ebay has a Marine section. Every last one of them would be posted here if we allowed it. CF is high on the hit list of marine sites. We like to think it's the better class of folks that hang out here. You are already one of them because you never posted a link to eBay (that stayed up).

You can post a personal classifieds for stuff that belongs to you and you might also say it's on eBay but don't post the link. It's the limit you can't cross.

Don't pitch items for sale in the message sections. That is worse. Do it more than a few times and you be gone.

We have a spam policy that takes a hard line. We don't know another way. If enough members thought spam was great, I would leave.

CF isn't about selling stuff (we have paid for ads for that). If the atmosphere changes to selling this place is doomed.
Old 03-08-2009, 16:04   #3

If we send a member a link is that ok? Let's say they are looking for a certain boat or a piece of hardware...?
Old 03-08-2009, 16:36   #4
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Thank you for the clarification...
Old 03-08-2009, 18:58   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
If we send a member a link is that OK? Let's say they are looking for a certain boat or a piece of hardware...?
So long as you publicly don't appear like a vendor or are post any place public you are probaly safe. Generally, the classifieds are for things members have being sold to members and not based on a business. If you are a marine professional and carry stock we don't allow that. If you post 50 items for sale and want to avoid working on a site like ebay or CraigsList then we are not a substitute for sites that offer that service.

Abuses of the classifieds and crew wanted / available have all happened and we watch them.

If unsure about something specific send a request to any moderator / administrator and expect a reply soon. Sometimes it's more a matter of how you do things that what you do. You need to show you are different than the cell phone and shoe spammers we get almost daily. If you are a member we know you can expect a little bit more trust than a shoe spammer.

PM's sent to members without their consent is a violation. Member to member mail is not filtered or monitored. All issues relating to private mail are based on complaints by those receiving it. All complaints are investigated.
Old 03-08-2009, 19:28   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Sending unsolicited PM's as a means to sell something would be a violation. Of course it's more about getting caught than not. If a member gets one and complains about being solicited - you would be in trouble. We don't want members confronted with unsolicited PM's. The real test is if a member feels confronted you messed up.

Those that would attempt to push the limits of the rules will eventually cross the line.
Old 03-08-2009, 20:19   #7

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
If I said that there is an item that you are looking for on eBay would that be alright?

Just trying to get clear on what we can or can't do. I just try to be helpful for someone looking for things.

Thanks Paul
Old 03-08-2009, 20:49   #8
Moderator Emeritus

The links are a problem. In any context it makes us a target for anyone selling anything on ebay or any other site. In private, we don't see it or more important no one else or any search engine sees it.

We don't want to be a desirable place for spam. That requires a hard line policy with feet on the street looking. If you want this place clean of spam then that is the price. We have made it a rule. We don't want spam, we don't like spam, and if you see it please report it. Most spam posted here won't see the light of the next day most places on the planet. We really want it that way or better.
Old 03-08-2009, 22:57   #9

Boat: Beneteau 36.7
I appreciate the lack of commercial hard sell on this site. When users come on and push items it stands out like a sore thumb.

What's a bit unclear to me is where the line between commercial interest and user information lies. For instance you quite frequently see links to yachtworld dot com - I've sent a few myself - in response to "what boat" type threads. There have also been threads with links to amazon books which have been useful. The same could be true for ebay.

Do you (admin) have a set of sites other than ebay that we should be avoiding linking to ensure the smooth running of this site?
Old 04-08-2009, 04:15   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
... You can post a personal classifieds for stuff that belongs to you and you might also say it's on eBay but don't post the link. It's the limit you can't cross...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
Sending unsolicited PM's as a means to sell something would be a violation...
General “netiquette” suggests that when in doubt, don’t post or message.
However, it’s generally ok to invite a PM to yourself, offering to provide additional information privately (such as eBay links).

Does this fairly represent the CruisersForum policy?

Old 04-08-2009, 04:31   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
General “netiquette” suggests that when in doubt, don’t post or message.
However, it’s generally ok to invite a PM to yourself, offering to provide additional information privately (such as eBay links).

Does this fairly represent the CruisersForum policy?
I think it does as long as the person receiving it does. There have been cases where the person receiving it had already under previous circumstances not wanted communication from that person.

Most of the details about the rules fall into context situations as well. It's easy to find one case that says never and and another that just seems fine.

The commercial issues go on almost every day about something and some subtle difference. As we have grown and included more people and more cultures it gets harder. We continue to try and keep the fundamental ideals that got us where we are today and where most members want us to be.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:31   #12

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by theonecalledtom View Post
I appreciate the lack of commercial hard sell on this site. When users come on and push items it stands out like a sore thumb.

What's a bit unclear to me is where the line between commercial interest and user information lies. For instance you quite frequently see links to yachtworld dot com - I've sent a few myself - in response to "what boat" type threads. There have also been threads with links to amazon books which have been useful. The same could be true for ebay.

Do you (admin) have a set of sites other than ebay that we should be avoiding linking to ensure the smooth running of this site?
Ooppps
Ive done this too. I didnt give it a thought that I might be helping spammers get a foot in the door.

Sorry guys
Old 04-08-2009, 06:53   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
A member posting a link they have no stake in is generally considered ok, outside of the classified ads. If you are asking about a specific boat and I find a link to a broker for you that is usually considered fine. If I am a broker and post the link that is taboo. I especially dislike the "Hey I found this cool boat you are looking for" kind of link. Making it sound as if you have no affiliation to the product. We have people that try to sneak those past at times. One of our litmus tests for this is will you make money off this link?

Of course the moderation team does reserve the right to remove a link or post containing links if we feel the boundaries have been pushed. We tend to send a nice note about why we feel it is inappropriate. Most people that are on the up and up understand. We have also been know to restore them after discussion amongst ourselves and with the poster.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:34   #14

thanks FrankZ, that about what I thought.