Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-07-2010, 07:50   #1

Ample Power Energy Monitor / Controller

I have an Ample Power EMONII H1 Energy Monitor. On the back of the case it says Energy Monitor/Controller 2001, then handwritten under Model # it says "EMONII H1" and for Serial # it says "10516 8.3". I assume the 8.3 is a firmware revision. I am not familiar with all of its features, but I was using it as a typical amphour meter, and it was functioning fine.

More can be read about it here: Energy Monitor/Controller

This unit was removed from my boat in favor of a Victron BMV600. I replaced all my batteries and decided it was a good time to replace the monitor too. It includes a shunt, two wiring harnesses with terminal strips (one for each bank it can monitor), and a battery post temperature sensor.

I don't think Ample makes these anymore. I can't be much help with configuration, but the documentation is available here: Ample Power Manuals and Wiring Diagrams. I wouldn't count on much help from Ample either. My decision to replace this was influenced when they didn't answer my emails or phone calls.

I have no idea what these sold for. I am selling for $50 with free shipping in the US. This is the lowest price at which it is worth my time. You're paying me to dinghy ashore, ride my bike to the store, buy a box, ride to the post office, mail it, then stop at a bar on the way back and drink several beers, grab a taxi home, and crash the dinghy into the side of my boat.
Old 27-07-2010, 13:48   #2

Boat: 1987 Nimble 30' Yawl
Hi Jay,

I'm interested. After reading the docs you linked to, it's not clear to me if it works with all types of batteries (e.g., AGM). Do you know if it does?

Thanks
Mark
Old 27-07-2010, 14:40   #3

It works with any type of battery. It was monitoring AGMs when it was installed in my boat.

The monitor watches the current that goes into and out of the battery, and based on a known capacity*, calculates a state of charge. It also monitors the voltage and temperature of the battery. Otherwise it doesn't really know anything about it. It does not play any direct role in the charge process**, which is where knowledge of battery type is important.

Some monitors have advanced settings that let you specify the Peukert exponent and Charge Efficiency Factor of the battery it is monitoring. In theory, this allows you to fine tune the monitor to improve its accuracy. I don't think the Ample has those settings, but I don't think they're very important either. The Victron I have now does have those settings and I still haven't got them set right because the monitor loses a noticeable amount of capacity over a period of several days. The Ample Power never did that on my boat.

*When you hook it up, you will have to reprogram it from my battery capacity to yours. You'll probably also want to erase whatever data logging history it has in memory, which will be from my boat.

**I say it doesn't play a direct role in charging, but I think it can interface somehow with an Ample Power alternator regulator if you have one. I don't, so never used that functionality.
Old 27-07-2010, 15:32   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
I say it doesn't play a direct role in charging, but I think it can interface somehow with an Ample Power alternator regulator if you have one. I don't, so never used that functionality.
It does share the temperature sensors but that is really all it shares. The regulator works on voltage and temperature to compute charge acceptance. I have both the monitor and the regulator. They work OK. Mine won't support AGM as it is a bit older but the regulator does support solar input too. It makes it nice for attaching the solar panels as it works with alternator and solar input automatically.
Old 27-07-2010, 15:35   #5

Boat: 1987 Nimble 30' Yawl
OK, Jay, I'll take it. I can't figure out how to PM you - maybe because I'm a new user.

If you email me at mark *at* whipplefamily #dot# com we can arrange for payment.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 27-07-2010, 16:45   #6

Boat: Freedom 39 Pilot House "Spartan"
Alpha Alternator regulator For sale

This post reminded me that I have a new, container seal unbroken, ALPHA Alternator Regulator. It was part of my parts spares on my long gone Nordic 40. Will handle Wet and Gelled. Will take $75.00 plus shipping from 98908. Shipping weight figure 2.5 lb.

Howard
svspartan at msn. com
Old 30-07-2010, 07:05   #7

Sold

The Ample Power Monitor is sold. Thanks.

Tags
ample power