Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > General Classifieds (no boats) > Classifieds Archive
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-07-2008, 15:48   #1

Boat: Far From Turtle: 1980 Pearson 424 cutter rigged ketch
a little depressed over price of live aboard blue water cruising boats

Dear Cruising Forum Viewers,

Need your sage wisdom.

We want a blue water cruiser, preferably a catamaran but will take a great monohull. We want to circumnavigate and live on this boat for about 10 years. This thing needs to be practical, comfortable, and safe. And reasonably priced.

We're currently located in Florida, but could find our way elsewhere to purchase the perfect boat.

Have been looking for a while.

Put money down on a large catamaran recently but it flunked survey so bad the surveyor recommended we not get back on boat.

Can't seem to find any catamarans in decent shape with decent price that are live aboard size except a Simpson for $55K that went off market really fast. Have to wonder how it would have held up in a gale in the middle of the Pacific anyway.

Want a Privilege 39 catamaran or a solid monohull from 36' to 47'.

Anyone have any suggestions for finding a reasonably priced blue water cruiser for circumnavigation, mostly in skinny water for gunkholing? We don't want a draft in excess of 5' and prefer closer to 3' - hence the catamaran fascination.

I'm starting to gain weight eating excessive quantities of self-pity gelato in this process.

Help.

First Mate
Old 16-07-2008, 15:59   #2

Boat: Valiant 50
Have you considered the Alubat Ovni - theres one in Annapolis - asking 290K and has been on the market a while - hint hint .
Its aluminum, center board and certainly a capable circumnavigator (See Jimmy Cornells web site). Although aesthetically, not everyone's cup of tea.
Old 16-07-2008, 16:08   #3

A little rich for my budget. Alas, my treasure chest is small.

- there's the rub

thanks tho
Old 16-07-2008, 17:17   #4

Boat: Pearson 26
1985 Pearson 422 Cutter Boat For Sale=

Pearson 422 Center Cockpit (5' draft) is my current favorite. They seem to range from about $100,000 to $150,000. The 424 (aft cockpit version) is more common, so there's lots of them out there for about 1/2 what you'd pay for the 422.
Old 16-07-2008, 17:52   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
If a Simspon at $55k fits your budget I think you are going to have to be very patient. Finding the $50-$60k perfect boat is like panning for gold. The nugget may be out there but it is going to be hard to find.

You also are likely not going to be able to pick a brand. At this end of the money scale you are going to have to accept what comes as long as it is a good boat.

Be patient, switch to low fat gelatos and hang in there...
Old 16-07-2008, 17:54   #6

Thanks Ishmael

that's actually my price range. The boat is attractive in many ways - went to the link.

Center cockpits are favorite with us as well.

This is a durable blue water boat I presume?

Seems like 20+ year old 42' monohull is in my future, but I'm still keeping an eye out for the older catamaran for skinny water.

The more I look at boat ads, the more I like the wood interiors and comfortable accommodations of the 42' mono hulls. They look pretty stable for ocean crossings as well.

First Mate
Old 16-07-2008, 18:02   #7

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by First Mate View Post
went to the link.

First Mate
Pics were of sistership I think.
Old 16-07-2008, 18:07   #8

1985 Pearson 422 Cutter Boat For Sale - anyone know of this boat closer to Florida? - the link for this one is Washington state.

Anything on east coast or Bahamas, Carribean would be good for now. 2009 we will be available to go anywhere to buy a boat - patience is a virtue but I still need a boat now.
Old 16-07-2008, 18:25   #9

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by First Mate View Post
1985 Pearson 422 Cutter Boat For Sale - anyone know of this boat closer to Florida? - the link for this one is Washington state.

Anything on east coast or Bahamas, Carribean would be good for now. 2009 we will be available to go anywhere to buy a boat - patience is a virtue but I still need a boat now.

1983 Pearson 422 Boat For Sale
Old 16-07-2008, 18:36   #10

If you really want to go anywhere, an older Shannon should be on your list. Very strong boats, very seaworthy. Easy to refit. A 37/38 can be had for your budget. The centerboard version draws 4' 3" if memory serves.

Also, because Shannon is still in business, you'll be able to get advice and parts from the builder.

Here's one:

1987 Shannon CB Boat For Sale

Carl
Old 16-07-2008, 18:56   #11

sent an email to yacht broker for the Shannon. Hot on the trail of the Pearsons now.

Thanks for the leads. I'll look at everyone's favorite ocean crosser.
Old 16-07-2008, 21:18   #12

Boat: Oceanic 46 (Jack Savage)
Shannon, is a nice looking boat.

https://trekkingthesea.blogspot.com.au/
Old 17-07-2008, 11:17   #13

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha First,
I can't remember if you are cruising with a family? After sailing a long time and living aboard a bit on more than one boat I've determined that (in my opinion) 36 LOD is maximum needed. Everything else is just to hold more junk/stuff/treasures/heirlooms. I prefer aft cockpit because I'm a sailor and like to see everything while facing forward and sailing. I like monohulls because I prefer their motion when at sea and kind of enjoy heeling (weird, eh?).
If you look in the range from 32 - 36 foot monohulls you'll find lots under 55K.
Kind regards,
JohnL
Old 17-07-2008, 11:27   #14

Hey First Mate,
I noticed a 1982 Pearson out in St. Augustine, FL. The price was recently reduced (6/2008) from $92,500 to $89,900. With the way the market is going you may be able to negotiate this down if you go in with buyer representation. It is much more difficult to negotiate yourself with just the selling broker. Let me know if you need any help I can recommend a couple people to work with you. (No pressure, no stress type people).. Best of luck with your search!
Old 17-07-2008, 11:57   #15

CSY 44s are a very capable, roomy, well built boat that can be had for a fair price. The problem is that there is no one perfect boat and they are very much like hamburger,(you buy them by the pound). If in fact this is going to be home for an extended time for you and your family, I would be very careful what I chose and would not let price be the determing factor. Best of luck.
Fred