Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2015, 18:24   #91
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Now here is a georgeous bluewater boat for $49k

Ronald,

I think the issue of relative speed of boats and rigs (sloop vs. cat-ketch) is going to always be debatable or contestable here, but I prefer to focus on some of the other things I see on your boat.

One of the things I look for on aft cockpit "blue water cruising" boats is a good dodger.

Your boat has a hard dodger (something I would prefer over a soft one). Is there anything you can tell us about it? It looks like it is a bit different from most I have seen (taller), but I suspect that helps with protection from spray and perhaps makes it easier to enter the hatch. Any comments on the height or what you like about it or would improve if adding a similar hard dodger to another boat? What is the material (wood or fiberglass or metal?) + (acrylic or glass etc.)?
Old 20-03-2015, 19:47   #92

Re: 1996 42' Lavranos Pelican Cat Ketch - $49,900

Was wondering if I could come up and take a look on Sunday. Contact me at Dan at dcvintagecycles dot com if we can set something up. Thanks
Old 20-03-2015, 23:22   #93

Boat: 1996 42' Lavranos Cat Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
Ronald,

I think the issue of relative speed of boats and rigs (sloop vs. cat-ketch) is going to always be debatable or contestable here, but I prefer to focus on some of the other things I see on your boat.

One of the things I look for on aft cockpit "blue water cruising" boats is a good dodger.

Your boat has a hard dodger (something I would prefer over a soft one). Is there anything you can tell us about it? It looks like it is a bit different from most I have seen (taller), but I suspect that helps with protection from spray and perhaps makes it easier to enter the hatch. Any comments on the height or what you like about it or would improve if adding a similar hard dodger to another boat? What is the material (wood or fiberglass or metal?) + (acrylic or glass etc.)?
Hello. Yes, I am worn out about the speed issue. Be glad to change the subject. I explained all I could about it.

About the hard dodger, its the best thing for that boat. The rigidity holds a solar panel on top plus supports a track for a Bimini that laces up to the radar arch. The Bimini has side curtains that make it like a tent which overlaps the coaming keeping the cockpit dry in rain storms. The side curtains roll up in nicer weather. Love that idea.
The high dodger is nice to get out of the boat easily. The rigid dodger is also nice because it has a rigid plexiglass windshield rather than a soft thin plastic windshield. Thats about it. Cheers
Old 21-03-2015, 00:13   #94

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
50' sailing yacht, in drydock, installing a bilge pump, drilled the first hole through the inner skin, and water shot up ~2'! Cored hull.
Ive installed alot of bilge pumps. Just wondering why you had to drill into the hull below wl? Or was it a small screw to hold down the pump and that little screw shot water 2 feet? ?

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 21-03-2015, 07:11   #95

Hello. I emailed you today. You can call me at 443-240-5074, or email me at zz3k39@yahoo.com.
Old 21-03-2015, 07:34   #96

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Mounting screw.
Old 21-03-2015, 07:45   #97

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
Mounting screw.
I would have glued down a block of wood ,but that is just me.

I guess doing that I wouldn't know or worry about a saturated balsa core.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:24   #98
cruiser

Boat: swan 63 custom

did you get the lawsuit straightened out on the boat yet lawyer said there would be a heck of a mess with the claims on it last I talked to you you were working on it with your lawyer
Old 03-04-2015, 08:26   #99
cruiser

did you get lawsuit straightened out on boat? ;ast I talked to you you were working on it with lawyer
Old 03-04-2015, 08:34   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by myclady View Post
did you get the lawsuit straightened out on the boat yet lawyer said there would be a heck of a mess with the claims on it last I talked to you you were working on it with your lawyer
Sorry, you must have gotten the wrong impression. There is no lawsuit and there is no mess. Lawyers were hired on both sides but once all the facts came out and once my lawyer nullified all the buyers wishful demands, then it was dropped. Title was never exchanged and I took over possession in January. We haven't heard from the buyers in a month or two.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:39   #101
cruiser

no that's what you told me, no mistake, a serious legal entangle ment with buyer suing you and lien on boat
Old 03-04-2015, 08:54   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by myclady View Post
no that's what you told me, no mistake, a serious legal entangle ment with buyer suing you and lien on boat
Assuming the photos posted are recent and accurately reflect the condition of the vessel and assuming the list of systems and items on board as well as the boat being under 20 years old I am surprised at the asking price and now hearing of the alleged lawsuits and liens have to further assume that the price reflects those as well.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:55   #103

It looked like it was going to shape up that way, but once I hied my own lawyer I learned the buyer had no case and his lawyer was just making unfounded threats and demands. My lawyer discredited all his claims and got them back down to Earth. Then reality set it. The buyer finally understood he didn't have a case. There was a 3 week period that I expected them to sue me, but my lawyer told me the buyer would just be throwing more money away for a case they wont win. That's why they stopped.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:01   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Rogala View Post
It looked like it was going to shape up that way, but once I hied my own lawyer I learned the buyer had no case and his lawyer was just making unfounded threats and demands. My lawyer discredited all his claims and got them back down to Earth. Then reality set it. The buyer finally understood he didn't have a case. There was a 3 week period that I expected them to sue me, but my lawyer told me the buyer would just be throwing more money away for a case they wont win. That's why they stopped.
Do you have a formal "release of all claims" from them? As this would greatly enhance marketability of the vessel. Otherwise no guarantee that they will not come back to haunt your next buyer.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:02   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
Assuming the photos posted are recent and accurately reflect the condition of the vessel and assuming the list of systems and items on board as well as the boat being under 20 years old I am surprised at the asking price and now hearing of the alleged lawsuits and liens have to further assume that the price reflects those as well.
There are no leins, no lawsuits. The buyers seem to have lost interest in the case. The pictures are not recent but look about the same. There are some cosmetic issues which is what keeps the price down. I did reduce the price down to $45,900 and expect it to sell quickly. There is $42,900 in cruising equipment (excluding normal stuff like stove, working sails, water system etc), so I can almost say: " Buy the equipment and get the boat for free".

Tags
ketch, water