Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-12-2015, 15:58   #1

35 to 41 ft bluewater boat near Florida

My Girlfriend and I have decided we are finally ready to make the plunge and work for a couple more years then we want to sail the world. Now we need a boat $20k and 40K for me to begin preparing! I am open to everything reasonable, also open to any advice seasoned cruisers have to offer!

We work on a river cruise line for a living. I have been in deck and engineering for years so I am up for a boat that needs a bit of repair, but i am looking for a solid boat.

********Not ruling out sizes if something looks right!******
Old 29-12-2015, 16:23   #2
cruiser

Boat: cal 29
Re: 35 to 41 ft bluewater boat near Florida

Yachtworld has a decent search feature. The parameters include size , price and location
Old 29-12-2015, 16:28   #3
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

There is one currently floating off the coast of Florida...

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 29-12-2015, 16:39   #4

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.

Mark, youre worse than kmacdonald.
Old 30-12-2015, 08:16   #5

Boat: Scout 30

Buy the smallest boat that will get the job done. Buy the best quality boat in the best condition you can afford.
Old 30-12-2015, 08:39   #6

Boat: Lagoon 380, 38', I Dream of Jeanne

Buy the smallest (not the biggest) boat you can live with.
Old 30-12-2015, 08:45   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

What boat will depend a LOT on your personal preferences. For example

1. First, a big question, what do you mean by blue water? There are as many definitions of the term as there are boats and boaters? Better to say where, when and how you plan to use the boat. For example, cruising FL with occasional trips to the near Bahamas. Some would call that blue water, others slightly more than day sailing. Or do you plan to cross the Atlantic to Europe or through the canal to the Pacific? Most would certainly call this blue water. Regardless of the terminology, the planned usage will dictate a lot about what boat you need.

2. How small a space can you tolerate? I have seen four people cruising on a 27' sailboat and a couple that thought 45' was much too small.

3. What kind of amenities and comforts are must have for you? More bells and whistles you need the smaller boat you can afford.

4. What kind of boat turns you on? Some want a performance cruiser, others want a heavy traditional, gaff-rigged ketch. Either design, properly built and rigged would be a blue water capable boat.

A hint, at last count I think there were 4,679,415 previous discussions on exactly this issue. I may be slightly over counting but seriously there are dozens, some extending to 10-20 pages of discussion. Spend a few minutes using the forum search function and you will find enough reading to keep you busy for a couple of weeks.
Old 30-12-2015, 09:13   #8

Thanks to some of you for legit suggestions.
To clarify by blue water vessel I am looking for something passage worthy. We want to own the vessel now doing smaller trips to familiarize ourselves and build our skills.before our first transatlantic. As suggested I will go through the other forums on the same discussion.

I was really looking for anyone who had a boat in the criteria looking to sell, as well as solid advice from people who have been through the process buying their first boat and starting out as cruisers.
Old 30-12-2015, 09:14   #9

Boat: Bluewater 40, Cal 20, Bayliner Avanti

Tried to get an old Amel Maramu... sailboatlisting.com is a good starting point... Run from "custom" boats... Another good one could be a Morgan.. cheap but as good bluewater like the Amel...
Old 30-12-2015, 09:18   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrobito View Post
Tried to get an old Amel Maramu... sailboatlisting.com is a good starting point... Run from "custom" boats... Another good one could be a Morgan.. cheap but as good bluewater like the Amel...
Don't think you will find a Amel to fit the OPs budget, at least not one still floating.

A Morgan on the other hand is a strong possibility.
Old 30-12-2015, 09:18   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrobito View Post

Thanks garrobito I have been looking at a couple of Morgan's. I am also looking at a Columbia 36 right now any thoughts?
Old 30-12-2015, 09:27   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkcrawford23 View Post
My Girlfriend and I have decided we are finally ready to make the plunge and work for a couple more years then we want to sail the world. Now we need a boat $20k and 40K for me to begin preparing! I am open to everything reasonable, also open to any advice seasoned cruisers have to offer!

We work on a river cruise line for a living. I have been in deck and engineering for years so I am up for a boat that needs a bit of repair, but i am looking for a solid boat.
Use the search button in this forum. Use Google. Go look at some boats. Do some sailing.

Do all of that BEFORE you buy a boat. Don't rush on the purchase, because as soon as you make it, expenses will mount. Your research before you make the purchase is a lot cheaper.
Old 30-12-2015, 09:35   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindwardPrinces View Post
Use the search button in this forum. Use Google. Go look at some boats. Do some sailing.

Do all of that BEFORE you buy a boat. Don't rush on the purchase, because as soon as you make it, expenses will mount. Your research before you make the purchase is a lot cheaper.
Maybe I should have clarified that part we have been sailing for 5 years now we are tired of only sailing a week or two at a time we have not rushed to this decision and we have done some research I'm just looking for a little additional guidance from people who have been doing this a while.
Old 30-12-2015, 09:37   #14

Boat: Ohlson 38

I wanted a bluewater sail boat and had about the same requirements so decided on an Ohlson 38 and shopped for 2 years, making low offers before my offer was accepted. Paid under $30k. There were about 130 made. Mine is a 1970 model and I have enjoyed doing all the repairs necessary to bring it back to being a great boat with everything working. You learn a lot about your boat when you work on it. The boat is as solid as can be and if I had a lot more time and money I would not have done anything different.
Old 30-12-2015, 09:37   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I was really looking for anyone who had a boat in the criteria looking to sell, as well as solid advice from people who have been through the process buying their first boat and starting out as cruisers.
Been there, done that so hope I can help. Also, if you are anywhere around north Florida you're welcome to come by and chat. I'm in Gainesville, boat is in Green Cove Springs.

Quote:
Thanks to some of you for legit suggestions.
To clarify by blue water vessel I am looking for something passage worthy. We want to own the vessel now doing smaller trips to familiarize ourselves and build our skills before our first transatlantic.
This info helps a lot but still a lot of options to sort out.

Again a lot depends on your personal likes and dislikes and must haves but for a transatlantic I would prefer a boat no smaller than mid thirties in length. Considering your purchase budget of $20K, unless you get lucky (ex-wife gets husbands boat in divorce and sells it cheap for spite, don't laugh, it happens) for a decent boat mid thirties will be about the max you will find. Do expect a fixer-upper which brings the question, how good are your skills in: plumbing, carpentry, electrical, rigging, etc, etc, etc?

Some boats in this size/price range that would work:

Westsail 32. Very heavy, solid and roomy for 32' but not a fast or close winded boat. Older so you can find some real deals if you look but be careful of rot in the decks and cabin sides of some. Lots of these were sold as kit boats with varying degrees of quality in the finish.

CSY 33. Again an older, not fast but very solid boat. No wood at all in the structure so no concerns about structural rot.

Morgan. A lot of models from 30-38'. Some fast cruisers (Morgan 38, 382, 384), some fat but hugely roomy (the Out Island 36 for example). Pretty well built but not like the Westsail.

Pearson. Generally well built boats, many models in the 30-40' range mostly from the 70s to 80s but a few older models. Pearson was one of the first fiberglass boats built and the older ones especially over built.

Other brands to look for but certainly not all inclusive:

Tartan, Cal, Catalina, Bristol, Ericson.

Buying an older boat take care. There are a few problems that can come with age that will cost more than the boat is worth to fix. Serious leaks into the deck core is one. Major problems with bulkheads, hull deck joint, keel, etc can also be issues. Most problems with rigging, cosmetics, engines, sails, electric, plumbing, etc can be addressed if the price is right for the boat.

Tags
florida, water