Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2010, 11:52   #1

pirate 23' American Spirit - $2900

For sale is a 1980 American Spirit 23' sailboat in good condition. The hull was manufacturered by Glasstron in their first attempt at moving into sailboat building. The Spirit23 is one of the most unknown yet best designed boats ever made. It was designed by Bob Finch who also designed the Islander Bahama 30 and was on the design team at Catalina. These were manufacturered in the USA in Austin, Texas.

This boat has some very nice ammenities that you typically don't find in a boat this size. They include:

*The boat was hauled out and painted 1.5 years ago. The hull is solid with no problems.

*Shoal keel with only 2.5' draft which is perfect for the Keys. You can go pretty much anywhere without worry of grounding.

*Sails are in great shape.

*Roller furling jib which allows a single person to put out or take in the jib in about 5 seconds. If you're sailing by yourself at all this should be a requirement.

*Auto Pilot - Also a very nice feature not usually found in boats this size

*Fully battened mail sail with two reefing points.

*Beautifully colored spinnaker that is worth $1000 by itself.

*5 HP Nissan outboard propels the boat nicely through the water when there isn't enough wind. Gets incredible fuel economy.

*Very nice custom padded seat covers for the cockpit. So much nicer than sitting on fiberglass.

*Can be plugged into 30 amp shore power. Has two house batteries although I only use one, I believe the other one to be dead but haven't looked at it.

Some other smaller niceties include:

-Small propane grill that can be mounted to the rear railing.

-Ice Box

-Head with 5 gal holding tank set up for pumpout

-40 gal water tank, huge for a boat this size

-Electric Sink, very nice and much better than having to use a manual pump.

-VHF radio

-AM/FM CD player with Pioneer speakers

-Removable table for dining

-Brand new Mold and Rot resistant life vests

-New navy blue carpeting

-Interior cushions are in very good condition. I wouldn't mind some slip covers as the upholstery pattern looks like it's from 1980. (because it is)

The only thing I would do is put some teak oil on the exterior teak. It is still in good condition but is gray and needs to be maintainted. After you look at the boat I'm sure you'll agree that it has been taken care of extremely well for the last 30 years. It was a one owner boat until about two years ago.

It also has an interior gas tank, I was told that it just needs to be cleaned out to be used. I use an external tank but having some extra room in the cockpit would be great.

It does have wind and boat speed meters but neither work. I don't worry about it since I use GPS.

You can view the manual for this boat here: http://www2.netdoor.com/~weaton/NAManual.pdf

***You are welcome to come look at the boat any time and leave a deposit but I will not be selling the boat until June 21st at the earliest as I have a trip to the Marquesas planned for the previous weekend.***

The boat is trailerable but it does not come with a trailer. From my understanding a good trailer can be had for less than $1000 and then storage is free.

I have put as much information I can think of into this ad but if you have any questions please feel free to email me. The boat is currently located in the Key West mooring field. You can keep the boat on anchor in the area for free or pay $298 per month to use the mooring field which includes use of the dinghy dock, parking, and showers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KeyWest_Spirit_cropped.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	16885   Click image for larger version

Name:	KeyWest_Topsidecropped.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	16886  

Old 15-06-2010, 09:23   #2

Dropping price to $2900. I need to sell this soon so please bring offers if you're interested. Anyone know how I can change the title to reflect the price change?
Old 18-06-2010, 17:10   #3

I just took more pictures of the boat and they can be viewed here:

Picasa Web Albums - Jon - Ad

I can manage to get the boat shipped pretty much anywhere in the South if its purchased for the asking price.
Old 21-06-2010, 10:27   #4

Price is now $2500, I'm taking a loss on this boat but I'm also leaving town so I need it gone soon.
Old 13-07-2010, 06:19   #5

still seling it what is its seaworthiness
Old 13-07-2010, 10:58   #6

It is still available. It is meant for weekend trips, not blue water crossing. It's very fun and easy to handle, everything works and it's good to go.
Old 13-07-2010, 11:19   #7

i rather think of this thanks anyway

Robert Tucker Ballerina