Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > General Classifieds (no boats) > Classifieds Archive
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2013, 03:59   #1

Boat: Pearn & Co, Seadrift 20
19ft Sitka Spruce Planks - Masts, Spars & Oars Quality

For those interested in boatbuilding or making your own mast, spars or oars, here is a chance for you to grab a bargain. I have two very large planks of highest quality, marine grade Sitka Spruce. Both planks were purchased new from the Marine Division of Robbins Timber in Bristol. Their professional description is "Sitka Spruce - North American - Oregon to Alaska - prime, selected - straight-grained and knot free".

These are two superb quality planks. The first photo below shows the wider plank in situ where it has been stored under my boatbuilding shelter. The other, narrower, plank is now sitting alongside the first, as shown in the second photo below.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sitka_Spruce_3.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	439.3 KB
ID:	60860 Click image for larger version

Name:	Both_planks.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	60861

Unfortunately, I never found a use for them since I became disabled. I have therefore decided to sell them, hopefully to someone who will appreciate their quality and use them in boatbuilding.

I am selling them either together or separately. Here are the details.

Both planks are slightly over 19 feet long. The first plank was sawn to 9" wide by 3" thick and the second to 8" wide by 3" thick. The planks are perfect, straight grained with no knots and no damage (safely stored - as you can see - and naturally seasoned (stored since my purchase under shelter but open to atmosphere).

If you are interested, you are most welcome to inspect at my home just south of Bristol before making me an offer. Cash on inspection and collection is fine.
You can check out the present cost of buying such planks from Robbins Timber on their website. As a guide, the first plank sells to the trade at around £300 and the second to the trade at £275. Retail is considerably higher, of course. I hope to get around £200 for the first and £175 for the second but will consider offers in that (close) vicinity.

These planks are surprisingly light considering their size. Two people can very easily lift them but they are bulky. I cannot offer delivery, so please arrange for collection, either in person or by your own choice of courier.

If you have any questions, please contact me first through private messaging so that we can exchange contact details.

Best wishes

Mike
Old 17-07-2013, 05:02   #2

Re: 19ft Sitka Spruce Planks - Masts, Spars & Oars Quality

Do you still have these .We are a small Scottish coastal rowing club and we want wood to make oars .
cheers Frank
Old 17-07-2013, 06:02   #3

Yes, they are still available Frank. The only offer I've had was from Robbins Timber, where I bought 'em. Kind of them I suppose but I'd rather sell to a boatbuilder or for other related use such as for making spars or oars.

I have replied to your PM with my phone number.

Thanks for your interest.

Kind regards

Mike
Old 06-09-2013, 03:10   #4

Biggles65

Are your two Sitka spruce planks still available? Just lost the top section of my mast!

Bellone
Old 06-09-2013, 03:59   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellone View Post
Are your two Sitka spruce planks still available? Just lost the top section of my mast!
Oh dear, very sorry to hear that Bellone.

I am now planning another build (a 17' motorboat) so have decided to use them myself. Sorry.

Regards

Biggles65

Tags
paracelle