Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2016, 11:44   #1

Boat: Looking for my next boat!
1980 Mason 33 ... Here it is, your bluewater vessel at a bargain price

This is not my boat. But I have seen so many postings on CF from sailors (noobs and otherwise) searching for a strong, well equipped, bluewater vessel to take them away to follow their dreams. Well, there is a local boat here which meets that description, and the asking price is very low (IMHO).

Its a 1980 Steel hulled Mason 33 (37 loa) and loaded with almost everything you need to start cruising already installed and included. The owner it seems has had some health issue and just needs to sell.

The boat is located in Kingston, Ontario, Canada, and is on the hard right now.

Here is the link:

Passage making sailboat for sale | sailboats | Kingston | Kijiji

If anyone is interested, I would be willing and able to assist at this end. The current price is $9500 CDN, which converts to something like $7000 USD, and the seller is motivated. IMHO, this boat is a gift for someone who is ready to sail from Lake Ontario to the Caribbean.

Here is the text, pasted, for those of you with limited wifi:

33 foot steel hull cutter, designed by well-known naval architect Mason, custom built for original owner in steel in Hamilton. Sailed until 2015, must sell. Includes roller furling on jib and staysail, sails are good, 4 person Avon liferaft, dinghy, 6-post cradle, VHF, GPS, Loran-C, radar, 3 anchors plus 200 foot chain rode, manual anchor windlass, 25hp Volvo MD2B diesel, nice old-fashioned brass pressure kerosene heater, custom full size kerosene cabin lamp, all-welded heavy pulpit and stern rails, electric autopilot, wind vane self-steering, tiller steering. Boat is 6,8 tonnes, full keel, designed and equipped for blue water passage making. Very strong rig with steps for climbing it, stepped on deck for easy lowering. A lot of boat for a little price. Nice to windward. No spinnaker or gear. Sleeps two forward, two amidships, two in quarterberths. Nice galley with Pacifica 3 burner gimballed propane stove with oven, good electrically cooled fridge/icebox. Lots of headroom. Good liveaboard vessel. Has fixed 3-blade prop installed but fully feathering variable pitch 3-blader also included. Very nice nav station opposite galley. Can be seen on the hard at Loyalist Cove Marina yard.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.JPG
Views:	924
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	134906   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	833
Size:	412.5 KB
ID:	134907  

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	909
Size:	430.4 KB
ID:	134908   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	947
Size:	394.3 KB
ID:	134909  

Old 04-11-2016, 11:47   #2

Re: 1980 Mason 33 ... Here it is, your bluewater vessel at a bargain price

Here is a letter from the owner (attached) with more description of the current condition of the boat and its history. Please note, I'm not the owner, just trying to help out:

Update for those still interested in the Mason 33 that I have for sale on Kijiji.

Today’s showing did not end with a purchase (2 no-shows and a tire-kicker)
Therefore, Wynflo is still for sale. At this time, the first person to get the purchase price to me, will get title to the boat (bank draft, money order, cash or wire transfer).

A few more details, which may be of use to those who can’t travel across the country to see her. I attach some photos taken today. In the interests of full disclosure, here is more of her story. I don’t want to put anyone off, to be sure, but I understand the perceived risk in buying a boat sight unseen.

I bought her in the fall of 2011, after she had been ashore and neglected for two years following the death of her original owner. I sailed and motored her to her present location in the fall of 2014, so sailed her for only two seasons, and have done little work on her since, except a bit of paint, replacing the electric fuel pump and making sure the alternator was working (it is). She is, therefore, not in showroom condition, but then most of you will understand that an ocean-capable 6.8 ton yacht for $9,500 is not likely to be the same as one you might see on the floor at the Toronto Boat Show! I did replace headsail and main halyards.

She does need a good paint job and brightwork attention, to be sure. You will likely also eventually want to replace most of the (1980s) electronics, all of which work but are way outdated (I did not check out the radar, but using it for an hour would likely drain the batteries dead). But the Volvo MD11 diesel worked fine when I had her hauled in October 2014, the standing rigging is very solid (double lower stays on the main, welded integral chainplates, etc.) sails are OK and I am quite sure the hull and deck are pretty much as solid as when she was built, visible rust spots notwithstanding. There is a wind generator that was working when I hauled her out.

If you were to buy her, sight unseen, here is my advice: be prepared to have a diesel guy around when you start up, just in case. At the end of my hundred-mile single-hander in 2014 that motor pushed Wynflo along at about 6 knots, but a couple of years on the hard means be careful. Similarly, I tossed the (3) batteries that fall because they were old and worn out, but you would likely be wise to have an electrician give the system a decent once-over before heading out on a longer trip. Make sure the nav light bulbs are ok, haha. Loyalist Cove Marina is a full-service outfit that wants to please, and they can help you.

The other investment you will likely eventually want to make, is to replace the propane tank storage system and solenoid valve control, which the first owner built in, himself. It is quite safe, I think, the tank is in a welded stainless box vented overboard, but it does not meet current code and for about $700 or so West Marine sells one that does meet code, and then your lovely little gimbaled Pacifica stove and oven will work fine. I disconnected the stove gas in order to get a better rate from my insurer. The fridge/icebox is impressively effective.

The Aries windvane self-steering is intact, with a spare vane. That alone runs over $7K today, I think. There is an electric Autohelm unit which can be rigged to the tiller but I never had the chance to try either of those out.

So, I do want to sell her this fall, and that is about as much as there is to tell. I look forward to an offer.
Old 04-11-2016, 23:02   #3

Boat: C&L Sea Ranger 36, Columbia Payne 9.6

Appears to be a deal and a half. I'd be all over it if not for the location.
Old 25-11-2016, 09:39   #4

Boat: Beneteau 40CC

Not showing on the link. Assume it's gone?
Old 25-11-2016, 15:28   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreaminFred View Post
Not showing on the link. Assume it's gone?
Took about two weeks, but the Mason 33 sold for $7000 cdn (about $5000 USD). Someone got a real deal. This was practically free, loaded and ready to go, just needed a good cleaning and maybe some fresh paint here and there. I'm kicking myself for not buying it, but the timing just was not right.

Oddly enough, a boat I sold just over a year ago is now for sale again:

Pearson 30 sailboat for sale | other | Kingston | Kijiji

Current asking price is $12,300 cdn, negotiable.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	$_27.JPG
Views:	291
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	136944  
Old 25-11-2016, 15:47   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

I like the sink location on aft end of table. Never seen that and seems a good solution a boat that size.
Old 26-11-2016, 17:14   #7

Steel Hull stories........I'd like to read testimonials about skippers who went back to GRP.
So that I can stop myself from doing something stupid....; )

SunnyJ

Tags
Bluewater, price, water