Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2015, 12:51   #1

Boat: Gulfstar 50
1978 Gulfstar 50 Sloop Center Cockpit

'78 Gulfstar 50 Sloop/ Owner's Version

The perfect center cockpit with large aft cabin, cruising sailboat! With two large cabins and lots of storage space, this is a wonderful boat for a cruising couple or family; for me it has been the perfect boat for a lady skipper living an adventure in Mexico. In fact, when I moved my stuff from the boat to a house this year, I was amazed at how many volvo wagon loads it took to take my things out o fall the hanging lockers, drawers, and storage. Tall people will appreciate the headroom throughout.
Built in 1978 so fiberglass hull is thick and interior has beautiful wood everywhere.

The boat is currently located in Ensenada, Baja California, Mexico but soon will be in San Diego. For the last ten years, I have lived aboard and taken people for day and weekend trips to the local islands. The rigging was replaced and the mast painted in 2007. I have an excellent mechanic who has kept the engine, generator, and all systems in good working condition. Add new electronics, and you will have a fabulous boat at a great price. Asking 99,000.

Measurements
LOA 50 ft
Beam 13.8 ft
Draft 6 ft
Displacement 35,000 lbs
¾ Cruising Keel with skeg rudder
Engines
62 HP Perkins Model Model 4-154M Diesel
7.5KW Onan Genset with hard sound shield
Tanks
100 gal Diesel Fuel Tank
2 40 gal waste tanks
200 gal Water

For me this boat’s most attractive feature is its interior. The sun-filled master stateroom aft with an en suite head and separate shower boasts an enormous U-shaped double berth with enough space for a
couple to sleep together athwartship while in harbor or separately in lateral positions while at sea. The forward stateroom, which shares a head with the saloon, has a large V-berth that fills in to form a
double.

The L-shaped galley runs down the walk-through alley under the center cockpit to port, with twin sinks close enough to the centerline to drain on either tack. The saloon has a dinette to port and a settee plus a pilot berth to starboard. However the previous owner installed a beautiful wood wine cabinet in the berth which I have found much more useful to have on board than a pilot.

The two cabin layout means that the nav station and engine room are both spacious. Teak and holly floors throughout.
Galley
Large L-shaped galley has double stainless steel sinks, pressure water system and foot pumps for fresh
and salt water. Shipmate three-burner stove with oven large enough for a Thanksgiving turkey.
Electric freezer and refrigerator are under the counter so there is ample counter space with wonderful
storage behind and below the counter. Large space for microwave oven.
Electronics
Raytheon 16 mile radar
Raytheon GPS
Standard Horizon VHF radio
B&G knot, depth, water temp, wind, and direction gauges but need some repairs.
B& G auto pilot
Simrad Shipmate CP32 GPS
Danforth compass

Deck & Hull
Bow pulpit with roller—Bruce anchor on bow with 300' chain, Spare Danforth anchor with 100'chain
and 200' rode—Plath electric anchor windlass with foot switches. Fresh and saltwater bibs in lazarette,
propane tanks in vented locker aft, Stainless Steel and Teak boarding ladder off transon, Wheel
steering on pedestal with talbe and glass holder. Engine instrument panel, Teak grate on cockpit sole
2 Barient #32 self-tailing winches, 2 Barrient #23 self-tailing winches, 1 Barrient #21 Halyard winch
Mainsheet traveler aft of cockpit on cabin top.
I removed the canvas dodger and isinglass for some television work, and never put them back on.

Sails & Rigging
North Sails: 155 % Furling jib, new 2003, 1.5 oz cruising Gennaker, Main, Schaefer jib furling system,
Adjustable backstay, Aluminum mast and boom, new mast step in 2003, Standing rigging replaced in
2007. Replaced wire main halyard with high performance main halyard system so sail goes up with no
effort
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	016.jpg
Views:	1025
Size:	406.3 KB
ID:	97110   Click image for larger version

Name:	014.jpg
Views:	1018
Size:	413.8 KB
ID:	97111  

Name:	018.jpg
Views:	1032
Size:	406.7 KB
ID:	97112   Click image for larger version

Name:	021.jpg
Views:	989
Size:	404.9 KB
ID:	97113  

Name:	020.jpg
Views:	947
Size:	405.4 KB
ID:	97114   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3813.jpg
Views:	1135
Size:	417.6 KB
ID:	97115  

Attached Files
Old 12-03-2015, 19:21   #2

Re: 1978 Gulfstar 50 Sloop Center Cockpit

Is this the two stateroom owners version? Looks very nice....

I read a great article about these boats. A friend who is 6'5 claims he is able to walk about the salon... Lots of headroom....
Old 12-03-2015, 20:34   #3

Thanks that is the layout. The big "aft cabin" and the headroom for my tall men "friends" is what sold me on the Gulfstar 50 and the storage space for dive gear, surf boards, and guitars and drums.
Old 18-03-2015, 21:41   #4

Boat: Moody 47

I sent you a text this evening so you should have my cell number. I have a concern with the galley location and available head room. I am 6' 2" and my sons are up to 6' 4". I know that is a lot to ask for a sailboat but the other center cockpit boats I have been on did not have a lot of headroom in that area and understandably so. Bottom line. Can I stand up and use the stove?

Walt.
Old 18-03-2015, 22:13   #5

Yes. I have a friend who is 6 foot 6. I can take a picture of him in the head and galley and you can see the headroom. The only place that you have to bend is walking from the galley to the aft cabin where you walk underneath the cockpit.

This is why I bought a Gulfstar 50. My boyfriend at that time was 6 ft 3.
I really needed a boat for tall people.

Alice
Old 19-03-2015, 21:09   #6

GULFSTAR 50: An Affordable Big Boat | Sailfeed

Here is an nice article about the Gulfstar 50
Old 23-04-2015, 23:26   #7

Boat: Ericson sloop 27'

Is the Sloop still available, where is it currently?
Old 24-04-2015, 13:38   #8

She is still in Ensenada where the slip fees and maintenance costs are relatively low.
Alice.
Old 27-05-2015, 21:55   #9

Boat: Moody 47

We have yet to visit one. The one in Alameda was gone when we got there. We put the house up for sale and ran into a few snags. I'd it is still available when we untangle we may take a trip South to finally get a look.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 03-06-2015, 13:16   #10
Marine Service Provider

Great boats (I have hull #3). What winches do you have? I currently have some 3 speed non-self-tailing winches that I want to swap out.

Regards!
Old 05-06-2015, 08:53   #11

Boat: Alberg 30 Ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltdrechsler View Post
We have yet to visit one. The one in Alameda was gone when we got there. We put the house up for sale and ran into a few snags. I'd it is still available when we untangle we may take a trip South to finally get a look.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Will she be riding out the hurricane in Mexico or California?

Good luck.

Tags
gulfstar, sloop, cockpit, center cockpit