Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2016, 12:42   #1

Boat: 1980 Pacific International Marine 41.5
15-30hp diesel engine for 27ft sailboat

Looking to purchase or trade something for a RUNNING diesel engine for my 27ft Bristol. It's ok if the engine needs some work, however it can't be seized and price must reflect the repairs that are needed.

I am looking to get a engine thats 15hp-30hp that is in the $1000 price range. Preferably located in Washington State, however its not a deal breaker if not(as long as your willing to crate it and ship it - I can cover shipping cost).

I'm tired of having the outboard on the back of the beautiful stern of the Bristol 27, plus also sick of having the engine pop out of the water when ever a wave passes.
Old 21-01-2016, 12:59   #2

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: 15-30hp diesel engine for 27ft sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowdan View Post
Looking to purchase or trade something for a RUNNING diesel engine for my 27ft Bristol. It's ok if the engine needs some work, however it can't be seized and price must reflect the repairs that are needed.

I am looking to get a engine thats 15hp-30hp that is in the $1000 price range. Preferably located in Washington State, however its not a deal breaker if not(as long as your willing to crate it and ship it - I can cover shipping cost).

I'm tired of having the outboard on the back of the beautiful stern of the Bristol 27, plus also sick of having the engine pop out of the water when ever a wave passes.
Sounds like your bracket is too high, and the engine shaft is too short.

I bought an old diesel for mine a few years ago in Seattle for $1,300. It leaked a lot, smoked, smelled bad, but ran for a while. It was a 1974 or so.

I now have a new bought 2012 5 HP 4 Stroke Mercury Outboard with a 25" XL Shaft mounted on a 14" adjustable bracket. Its much better than that old Bukh 10. I've used it now for 3 years.....$1,500 w/ 5 year warranty.

I pulled all the diesel crap out of my boat and totally cleaned up all the old diesel, sludge, and oil from the bilge
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01944.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	423.6 KB
ID:	117205  
Old 21-01-2016, 13:12   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Sounds like your bracket is too high, and the engine shaft is too short.

I bought an old diesel for mine a few years ago in Seattle for $1,300. It leaked a lot, smoked, smelled bad, but ran for a while. It was a 1974 or so.

I now have a new bought 2012 5 HP 4 Stroke Mercury Outboard with a 25" XL Shaft mounted on a 14" adjustable bracket. Its much better than that old Bukh 10. I've used it now for 3 years.....$1,500 w/ 5 year warranty.

I pulled all the diesel crap out of my boat and totally cleaned up all the old diesel, sludge, and oil from the bilge
I definitely know that a XL shaft would make all the world of a difference for the hobby horsing! We have one of those adjustable mounts, but again i much prefer the clean transom for the Alberg boats.

Do you still have that leaky old diesel? Sounds like it needed a rebuild Want to sell it to me for cheap so i can rebuild it and install it?
Old 21-01-2016, 13:38   #4

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

I might suggest 20 as the upper range due to weight. A little one cylinder job 7-9 HP would be great. I had an Alberg CD26 with an outboard that had some similar shortcomings. I do not know the numbers, but there is more useful power per HP in a diesel.
Old 21-01-2016, 14:44   #5

Boat: Luger, Southwind, 21

Quote:

You motor when you can't sail, so the question is how to re-power for when you need to motor. How much do you motor? Are you coastal cruising or passage on open ocean? An electric motor system, along with planning mindset alteration, would be advisable for coastal cruising. The solar and battery storage would be almost a pound for pound swap for motor, accessories, and fuel storage. Cleaner bilges make for happier Captains. Just a thought from a guy that loves diesels.

Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 21-01-2016, 15:07   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonesoldier0408 View Post
You motor when you can't sail, so the question is how to re-power for when you need to motor. How much do you motor? Are you coastal cruising or passage on open ocean? An electric motor system, along with planning mindset alteration, would be advisable for coastal cruising. The solar and battery storage would be almost a pound for pound swap for motor, accessories, and fuel storage. Cleaner bilges make for happier Captains. Just a thought from a guy that loves diesels.

Cruisers Sailing Forum
Thats a very good point, i've never really thought about going electric, however I dont think the cost of it would be worth it, considering not only do i need to re-fit a whole new set of batteries, but I need to aquire the propulsion setup.

That said, going all electric would be super nice, but I dont think it'd work very well towards my budget($1500 or so). The reason i am looking for a USED diesel is the fact that yes I am a costal cruiser in the PNW, but I also am planning offshore in the next few years, and it is likely to occur in this boat.
Old 21-01-2016, 15:49   #7

Quote:
I definitely know that a XL shaft would make all the world of a difference for the hobby horsing! We have one of those adjustable mounts, but again i much prefer the clean transom for the Alberg boats.

Do you still have that leaky old diesel? Sounds like it needed a rebuild Want to sell it to me for cheap so i can rebuild it and install it?

It was sent to salvage where it belonged for scrap metal

I was trying to make the point that an old diesel is trouble. At least on my boat though, it had a diesel, prop shaft, exhaust system, etc already there.

Does yours have all that plus the stuffing box and thruhull for the prop shaft?

Even if it does, you shouldn't go that route with an old junk diesel.

Folks mount all sorts of stuff on their stern like monitor wind vanes etc.

I can remove my outboard once I am out of the marina and store it.....which is what I would do if I were cruising long distance.

Check this website. He isn't installing diesels when he rebuilds; he's using the very efficient and easily maintained 4 stroke outboards.

If looks are so important, put the outboard in the well like this guy:

Atom Voyages - Triton #503 Refit Part 2

Atom Voyages - Home
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	catalystname01kb74_20121107_1306957417.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	117221  
Old 21-01-2016, 16:11   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
It was sent to salvage where it belonged for scrap metal

I was trying to make the point that an old diesel is trouble. At least on my boat though, it had a diesel, prop shaft, exhaust system, etc already there.

Does yours have all that plus the stuffing box and thruhull for the prop shaft?

Even if it does, you shouldn't go that route with an old junk diesel.

Folks mount all sorts of stuff on their stern like monitor wind vanes etc.

I can remove my outboard once I am out of the marina and store it.....which is what I would do if I were cruising long distance.

Check this website. He isn't installing diesels when he rebuilds; he's using the very efficient and easily maintained 4 stroke outboards.

If looks are so important, put an outboard in the well like this guy:

Atom Voyages - Triton #503 Refit Part 2

Atom Voyages - Home
No doubt old used diesels can be a problem. I have everything installed aboard, I'm mainly looking to replace my current diesel. The one i have is completely seized and will cost as much to get back into running order as it would be to buy a new(to me) one.

Outboards are not a solution for long term offshore use i believe. I am not a fan of gas onboard a boat, i much prefer diesel. This could be a discussion that has two different views and usages.

Plus diesels will far out last the petrol based engines in almost all cases. They also are easier to work on i believe.
Old 21-01-2016, 16:25   #9

Quote:
No doubt old used diesels can be a problem. I have everything installed aboard, I'm mainly looking to replace my current diesel. The one i have is completely seized and will cost as much to get back into running order as it would be to buy a new(to me) one.

Outboards are not a solution for long term offshore use i believe. I am not a fan of gas onboard a boat, i much prefer diesel. This could be a discussion that has two different views and usages.

Plus diesels will far out last the petrol based engines in almost all cases. They also are easier to work on i believe.
That's all up to you.

This is the first sailboat that I have owned with an engine, and it's my 5th sailboat.

I'd rather have the new outboard than the old diesel.

My boat would hobbyhorse with that old diesel and make about 1 knot against a 20 knot wind.

I have experienced both engines is my point......
Old 21-01-2016, 19:34   #10

did putting the motor weight higher and all the way aft further from the center of gravity help the hobbyhorsing?
Old 21-01-2016, 19:42   #11

https://stockton.craigslist.org/bpo/5395855742.html

not quite nearby...
Old 21-01-2016, 20:20   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

For a 27' boat would be looking for 5-15 hp. 30hpmwouldmbe redo blouse and even 20hp would be overpowering the boat.
Old 22-01-2016, 03:17   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanibel sailor View Post
did putting the motor weight higher and all the way aft further from the center of gravity help the hobbyhorsing?
Actually there is probably less because I have more power with the 5hp outboard over the old 10 hp diesel. (diesel wt: 352 lb; outboard wt: 58 lbs; boat disp:6600lb)

The old diesel didn't like to run at too many rpm's

Plus, if at all possible I have the sails up to assist these days. I really haven't had a problem with hobbyhorsing in 4 years except one time coming out a very narrow creek into a 20 knot headwind. I motorsailed out as soon as the creek was wide enough to tack. This is my first sailboat with an engine so it was not a big deal just slower

Also, the outboard can be removed and stored where the diesel used to be if necessary after leaving the marina.
Old 22-01-2016, 04:21   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

chowdan,

I am in agreement with two points brought up here...

1. Yours- That Bristol doesn't need an ugly OB ruining her lines...

2. Others- 20 hp seems a good max... More than that and you would need foils and some Nascar decals... Which would negate opinion #1

Mai Tai's fix everything...
Old 22-01-2016, 04:53   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

You know in my neck of the woods they are cleaning up the derelicts, they sit in the city Marina for awhile, then disappear, I assume to be disposed of. Seems a lot of them are smaller boats with motors the size your looking for.
Are there any yards where you are that do this disposal, maybe you can get a re-buildable motor that would fit for a good price at one of these yards?

Tags
diesel, engine, sail, sailboat