Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2020, 00:10   #16

Boat: Outbound 46
Re: Television Mount

I am not sure why my question would raise such a negative discussion. I didn't just fall off the turnip truck. I have been sailing since I was 17 and have had our current boat for 15 years. An Outbound 46. We sail full time.

I have been dealing with a major health issue and while I am in 33 days of Radiation treatment here in Papeete, I bought a TV after these 15 years take my mind off things. I plan on getting through this....

So; does anyone have some REAL pertinent information to share? Answers like Paul's just demonstrate that there are too many armchair trolls in here typing from the comfort of their living room. Anyone who calls this a "sport" is not a sailor IMO. Never heard anyone reference sailing in that regard before.

Bob

sv HEDONISM
bob-lauriem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 01:10   #17

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Yes, Paul J. Nolan’s asinine comment. Sorry. Thought it was obvious.
DocBrauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 06:27   #18

Boat: FP Lucia 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob-lauriem View Post
Just shopping for a TV mount. After 15 years we bought a TV. My concern is mainly, how is it in a seaway? Like, crossing Oceans seaway. I was considering an articulating one or perhaps one just with a tilt but from what I have seen, they will not hold the TV firm for days on end at sea? Or will they?

I am leaning towards a HD fixed mount for that reason.

Thoughts? Currently in French Poly...
Ours does not have an integrated lock. (there are some that do) 90% of the time we don't have issues. In rougher seas we wrap a bungee or a line around it and tie to hold it in place. The TV is very light so it doesn't take much force to hold it down securely.
Terbonium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 06:36   #19

Boat: Hunter 2003 356 - Persistence
Television Mount

I’ve had a three way articulating mount on Persistence, my Hunter 356 using Dishnetwork on KVH antenna (on second one) since 2003, just under 10,000 miles, KY Lake, down to northern Gulf Coast and Florida. Mine tightens friction with nuts and I use 3M heavy duty hook and loop to fix it when In heavy seas. My 356 has 3/4 inch thick bulkheads and it’s through bolted with 4 bolts.
By the way Paul, I love my TV and so does my wife. We have sailed a lot - spent 1,209 days on board - how many have you been onboard since 2003? If you don’t watch TV, then don’t get one.
J Clark H356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 06:56   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

We have two TV’s and a Satellite system, yes isn’t that horrible?
I bought our mounts off of Amazon, modern good flat screens are exceedingly thin and weigh almost nothing, and the way ours are mounted, they easily fold flat against the bulkhead they are mounted to and swing out when you want to watch TV. So stowed they take up about 2” of space flat against the bulkhead. In fact I’m sitting in a Marina right now, watching Gomer Pyle USMC, remember that show?
It’s the 21st Century, it’s silly to say real men don’t sail with a watermaker or refrigeration or even a TV.
Normally we have just come in from cruising, but with this Virus thing we came in early, and with the virus thing we are staying aboard way more than usual, so we watch more TV than usual too.
We also both have Kindle’s and have Kindle unlimited, so we read several books a month, lately several a week. I’m a Sci-fi fan, but why not watch TV?

I tried and couldn’t find a decent 12V TV, good ones just don’t exist, so what I did was buy a Samsung “smart TV” and a small 130 watt inverter to run it
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 07:06   #21

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

We built our own mounting arm for the flat screen monitor/TV. It is stainless steel. It swings and articulates through 90 degrees on a 14" arm so it can be next to the laptop for an extended screen session or swung out for better viewing in the cabin. A bungie cord which can be hooked behind it prevents wild swinging while at sea.

There is no rust or corrosion and it is quite strong enough for our flat screen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	085101-TV Bracket.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	302.0 KB
ID:	218694  
Old 19-07-2020, 12:22   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terbonium View Post
Curious to where everyone might be installing their television(assuming you've decided to install one)

We went with a 32" Samsung SF351 thin monitor. Just about 1" thick at the base, and thinner and the top. The mount allows for us just about see the monitor from outside which is a nice addition that we did not plan on.
Looks great! Where is better place to connect TV to electric power?
Captain Il is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2020, 08:59   #23

Boat: FP Lucia 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Il View Post
Looks great! Where is better place to connect TV to electric power?
The TV is powered from 12V. The panel with the AC duct is removal, ample room there to install a small DC fuse panel. Power is run from the DC distribution panel on the starboard side under the main settee.

We also have a small network hub and our wifi AP installed in that space as well.
Terbonium is offline   Reply With Quote