You guys nailed the whole bearing replacement scenario and really made my life easier. Thank you, all.
Hauled the boat
in Bellingham, WA and explained exactly what I wanted to do. They were all great and the lift
operator juggled a launch to let me pull the rudder
before he removed the slings when I told him I would have it ready to drop in 20 minutes.
I was prepared to jack it down from the top but he grabbed another yard guy (when Linda offered to give him a hand) and I levered down as they rotated it back and forth. No swear words (it came later) and it was out.
As soon as the rudder
was clear, they blocked the boat
with 12”x12”x16” blocks under the mini keels and a couple of screw jacks fore and aft and I got to work
on the frozen bearing.
Just as you described, white powder compacted into glasslike flakes had it frozen tight. Drilled 2 6-7mm holes through the plastic bearing parallel to the shaft hole and a 10mm wood
chisel carved out a groove. If you do it in the middle of the cut out area in the race
, the race
walls are nearly parallel to the shaft hole. Had no issues nicking the race.
I thought that I would insert a crescent wrench into the groove and rotate the bearing. No way. Take a drift and drive the bearing like you are trying to close the cut groove and it will free itself from the walls of the race. Not really free but loose enough to rotate and pry out.
Found the curved end of a 12” crescent wrench was useful to scrape the plated crystal flakes that closely resembled compressed salt
that were plated to the aluminum
walls of the race. Final careful polish with 180 grit and lathered it up with Lanocoat including the shaft and the outside of the new bearing.
Bit of caution here. With the bearing lathered plus the same inside of the race, the bearing wouldn’t go in. Drove with a rubber mallet and no joy. Heart failure…did I have the wrong bearing? Removed and measured new and old which were the same. Never thought about the viscous Lanocoat not flowing enough to install. Rocked, wiggled, rubber mallet…removed and examined for debris. Wiped a small amount off, installed and carefully rotated it. The rotation did the trick and it was firmly in place.
The big travel lift
picked up the boat and a Couple of guys lifted the rudder and it floated into position as I pinned it.
Said I needed 20 minutes to launch and Lift operator said he would launch me last thing and had other boats to launch with the small lift. I was ready at 4pm and we started about 1230. It was a record
hot day in Bellingham and I collapsed.
At 5 o’clock the lift operator rapped on the hull
and we crawled down. I took one look at the rudders (swear word here) and saw they were not parallel…As in not even close. The operator saw my reaction and the problem as I said “I installed the belcrank upside down. It’s the only explanation.”
It was quitting time on a hot Friday so I apologized and asked if he could splash me Monday. I would come back Saturday and fix my mistake. We did and at 9 am Monday we were on the way back home.
The rudder is perfect and I even adjusted the rudder angle sensor
to read null when straight ahead.
$705 plus a couple hundred for the bearing. I figure my labor is cheap
Thanks again for all the help.
Martyn and Linda Adams
S/V One World
‘07 Mahe 36