Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Fountaine Pajot
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-09-2014, 13:27   #1

Boat: 08 FP Mahe 36
Speedseal Life - Any feedback?

Hi Fellow Mahe owners,
Wondering if anyone has experience with the "Speedseal Life" specifically on the Mahe. We have the D1-20 but open to feedback on either volvo. I have read other threads and the 'love' seems very mixed depending on engine and I haven't seen it specific to the Mahe's aside from Mark's/Cotemar's post on the original Speedseal.

Although speed of access is welcome, we have moved the starboard water heater and greatly improved access already (thanks again to Mark on his post on that). I'm curious about life extension of the impeller if there is the unwanted disruption of water. Which after 3 impellers, we are finally figuring out our vacuum leak pre-pump (seal and cover on water strainer). Would have been nice for the issue to not have cost 3 impellers and I'd be break even already on one of these Speedseal Life's (couple barely cracked but...).

Constructive feedback most welcome!

Incidentally, all issues caught well before alarms or over heating (I'm compulsive about watching for reduced engine pee flow and acted long before we had bigger issues).

Thanks to all! We are so grateful for this amazing resource and all of you who contribute.
kitingcakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2014, 18:08   #2

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Re: Speedseal Life - Any feedback?

My Speedseals are 6 years old now. They are great for a quick check of the impeller. No paper gasket or tools need. Have put these on every boat we own. They are worth the money.
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2014, 07:39   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tucker CA41 Steel 40 foot Ketch

I have a Perkins 4236M (Lowline) 72Hp engine which has a Jabsco sea water pump

I fitted a Speedseal to the engine in 1996. I live aboard the vessel so use the engine quite often

On replacing the impellor in 2012, I notice the inside of the Speedseal cover looked worn and my impellor was getting a bit chewed

I emailed Alex Parker of Speadseal about this (and included some photos) and his reply was

With regular use the Speedseal cover wears like all plates and after 5/6 years should be replaced. Yours is very worn and probably causing the problem.

Please see Welcome to Speedseal and see if you want an upgrade plate of the Speedseal LIFE model.”

I also asked about the shelf life of the O rings as I had some spares and his reply was “shelf life is 7 years”

Speedseal recommend you replace the bearing gasket in the Speedseal LIFE every 2 years but this is cheaper than replacing the cover and gives you the advantage of the "run dry" protection

I went for the Speedseal LIFE in the end as the Screws, O rings are the same.

Not associated with Speedseal just a happy customer
Triumphant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2014, 07:55   #4

Boat: 08 FP Mahe 36

Thanks to you both. Appreciate the feedback!
kitingcakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2014, 07:43   #5

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Is there a US distributor for SpeedSeal Life" in the US?
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2014, 07:50   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
All I could find, got in email in inquiring.
USA: TOLL FREE 1-800-675-1105
6am - 2pm Eastern Time
Delivery Time - Approximately 7 Days
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2014, 07:52   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tucker CA41 Steel 40 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
I suggest you try emailing them and see what they can do

safety@speedseal.com
Triumphant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2014, 08:09   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Have a speed seal life on a Volvo Penta TMD22, very happy with it, makes for much easier inspection and replacement of the impellor.
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2014, 08:38   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triumphant View Post
I suggest you try emailing them and see what they can do

safety@speedseal.com

I did, and just got off the phone with them, that was fast.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2014, 13:15   #10

I've used the original Speedseal plates since they first came out without a single problem. About two years ago, I replaced the original model Speedseal on my Westerbeke genset with one of the new Life models.

About 3 weeks ago, with less than 300 hours of use, it stopped pumping. Examination of the inside of the plate showed that for some reason, the brass washer began to rotate eccentrically. It wore over .040" off one side of the central axle and a corresponding .040" off one side of the machined plate. Both the washers had been replaced once, not for wear but because I dropped the metal washer in the bilge.

I replaced the Life plate with the old original Lifeseal plate and it's running again.

I've talked with Alex and we are working the problem, but things take a while from Panama. At this point, I'm questioning the mechanics of the Life version, since the original ones worked for 20+ years with never a failure. But I'm waiting to see what happens when I send the damaged Life plate to Alex.

I'd strongly recommend the original version, though.
svinshallah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2014, 13:26   #11

Boat: Perry 41

I have one on my Yanmar 4JH and love it. I have sucked up seaweed in a tight situation and kept running. Clogged to the point that only water vapor was coming out of the exhaust. Once I stopped and cleared the strainer then started her back up with no problems and no wear on the impeller. If I had the stock one in I'm sure it would have burned up.

Had mine for 2 years with no problems, highly recommended...
patr1707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2014, 15:35   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by svinshallah View Post
I've used the original Speedseal plates since they first came out without a single problem. About two years ago, I replaced the original model Speedseal on my Westerbeke genset with one of the new Life models.

About 3 weeks ago, with less than 300 hours of use, it stopped pumping. Examination of the inside of the plate showed that for some reason, the brass washer began to rotate eccentrically. It wore over .040" off one side of the central axle and a corresponding .040" off one side of the machined plate. Both the washers had been replaced once, not for wear but because I dropped the metal washer in the bilge.

I replaced the Life plate with the old original Lifeseal plate and it's running again.

I've talked with Alex and we are working the problem, but things take a while from Panama. At this point, I'm questioning the mechanics of the Life version, since the original ones worked for 20+ years with never a failure. But I'm waiting to see what happens when I send the damaged Life plate to Alex.

Thanks for that post, please let us know the outcome, will be interesting to see.
I check the washers each year, and so far (4 years) it looks fine.
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2014, 16:38   #13

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

I did call Speedseal today... they don't make a version for my Sherwood F85.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 10:34   #14

Boat: Gulfstar Sailmaster 39

I've been using the original Speedseal for the last six years with no problems. I thought I would "upgrade" to the new Speedseal Life so I called their USA number (800-675-1105) that is listed in Cruising World and on Speedseal's web site. I got nothing but a whole series of ads, trying to get me to sign up for various products or "free Trip to the Bahamas". Then the recording told me that the number had been changed and to call another number--which turned out to be some other commercial for an online college. Something is messed up...

Anyone else have this experience?
camndon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 11:00   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by svinshallah View Post

Yikes. Will check mine. I've got about 300 hours on mine.

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote