Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Fountaine Pajot
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2014, 10:09   #1

Boat: Gemini 105Mc
Some questions about the Mahe 36

The Mahe 36 is currently at the top of my list. I visited one recently and liked most if not all of what I saw. I have a few (okay 9!) questions though. Thanks in advance.
  1. How would you qualify the Mahe 36's seaworthiness and overall strength. I like the feeling of heading out to sea with a strong hull and strong rigging. I see in the marketing information that the boat is designed as an "offshore cruiser". I want to make sure it's not actually designed as a coastal cruiser and only marketed as an offshore cruiser. Are the shroud attachment points strong enough? How about the winch attachment points. I guess preparing a monohull to withstand a roll is at least an option. Perhaps you don't even bother with that on a cat and only prepare to withstand the strongest sail forces.
  2. Talk me into paying extra for the sprit. Is the biggest benefit going to be ease, speed, both?
  3. Someone said you should consider the resale value of the 3-cabin versus the 2-cabin layouts. They said that the 3-cabin is less desirable and will be harder to get your money out of. I intuitively disagree and anyway, my family prefers the 3-cabin layout, so I'm leaning toward disregarding this advice, but would love your input and opinion.
  4. I didn't see where the tankage is in the boat. Where is the water and where is the fuel? I am torn between a) one water tank and one small (DC) water maker b) two water tanks and no water maker and c) two water tanks and the small (DC) water maker. I'm really not that interested in the weight and complexity of a large water maker. Any thoughts there? I love the idea of being able to rinse off after a swim (and other somewhat liberal uses of fresh water) without having to worry too much.
  5. Where can I find information about the different model years of the Mahe 36. I'm interested in which years the model was redesigned and what changes were made. For instance, when did they fix the kitchen unit noise issue. I have gotten a general idea, but I wonder if anyone knows of a definitive source.
  6. What's up with the massive fixture in the head (left of the mirror) that doesn't appear to be used for anything? Are there options that plug in there or is that for the owner to customize? Surely it's not designed to waste that much space.
  7. Is the boat able to sit fairly well on her keels or might it tend to tip fore/aft? I don't think it's common to dry out, but if an owner were to attempt to dry her out on a gravel bed or a sandy flat or something, would that be feasible and advisable. It looks as though she'll sit fine on a paved lot on land, but I'm talking about other bottoms.
  8. The dinette bench is in prime real estate and I noticed it was simply screwed to the salon sole. I would want to replace that with an easy release system so that floor space could be utilized for other things when desired. Anyone else agree or has anyone else done this?
  9. Any opinion on the optional soft shade for the pilots seat? It looked slightly inconvenient considering the boom perhaps, but I imagine it's quite helpful for rain/sun protection. I'm not sure a person spends enough time in the pilot seat to warrant it, however, and it is yet another possible fail point (yay simple!)
codefoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2014, 17:25   #2

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Re: Some questions about the Mahe 36

Just go here for all the Mahe 36 answers you may need in two pages.

Fountaine Pajot - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2014, 17:34   #3

Yeah, I know about the Fountaine Pajot forum. That's this forum. That's the forum I posted my questions to. I've read it all (including the frankenpost 1200+ post thread) and didn't find the answers to my specific questions. That's why I asked it.
Old 13-03-2014, 17:58   #4

Community Sponsor

1)Yes, Mahe's are offshore rated and sail around the world all the time.
2) Bow sprit not needed
3) Two or three state rooms is a personal choice. Owners version of any production catamaran tends to be worth more and sell faster.
4) Two 70 gallon water tanks are in the anchor locker, port & Stb sides. They are built in, so you can not add them in later. Fuel tank is 53 gallons and is on the Stb side of the cockpit under the helm seat.
5) Introduced in 2006 and In 2010 they changed to the evolution model
6) It's called a holding tank
7) It's made to stand on its keels an dries out on a sandy beach just fine.
8) The table can be used as a bed or remove if needed
9) Everyone should have some sort of helm Bimini. It protects you and all your expensive equipment at the helm.
Old 15-03-2014, 07:16   #5

Boat: Jeanneau 349 2015
Some questions about the Mahe 36

Codefoster, do you plan on buying new or used? I am in same position, Mahe is my top boat after researching Gemini Legacy, Leapord 38/39 and recently distracted by (brace yourself) Benetau's Oceanis 38.

Cotemar is our resident Mahe expert. IMVHO, you can take his advice as the best synthesis of knowledge on the Mahe.
RKsailsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2014, 18:44   #6

Boat: Fountaine-Pajot Mahe 36

FWIW: We bought our two cabin 2008 Mahe (hull 91) in Tortola, BVI and sailed her (via Bermuda) to NH in May 2013 - a trip of about 1700 miles total. Boatspeed average/peak was 9/15 kts, though the peak was because of surfing. Winds/seas averaged about 15-20 kts/8-10 ft. We did experience a peak gust/seas of 54 kts/20 ft. Thus, we have complete confidence in her capabilities/safety as a bluewater passagemaker. With 140 gallons fresh water tankage I'd forget the watermaker unless you intend to do nonstop globetrotting or shower opera. We did carry an additional 20 gallons of diesel fuel on each leg. The twin 20hp Volvos never failed us when needed. Cotemar IS the SME on the Mahe - he deserves a raise for his efforts.
Seastream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2014, 19:43   #7

Thanks so much for the answers so far, Cotemar and Seastream.
  1. Great to know. Thanks.
  2. Anyone care to expand on the bowsprit answer or submit another opinion?
  3. Thanks
  4. If they are built in, does that mean they are difficult to deal with in any way? Cleaning, maintanence, etc.
  5. I thought there was another change in 2014. Perhaps that's not the case.
  6. I don't think we're talking about the same thing. The unit in talking about is on the wall left of the vanity and about 7-8 inches deep by 18 inches wide by 24 inches tall.
  7. Thanks.
  8. I'm talking about the bench that is screwed to the floor next to the dinette. The function of the table/bed itself seems clear, but I'm just wondering about the attachment of the extra bench.
  9. Thanks.
Sure appreciate the helpful information.
RKsailsolo, we're leaning toward a new one from the factory.
Old 23-03-2014, 23:55   #8

Boat: Fountaine Lipari 41 Evolution

Change in 2014 is just colour schemes

Bowsprit is nice for having a furling spinnaker but we didn't get on on our lipari but fly the spinnaker from a bridle using a sock

https://www.facebook.com/SvTwoflower
Dod42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2014, 04:57   #9

That small bench in front of the saloon table is screwed to the floor and is there for storage. I would want to remove it and liberate that much floor space.

New is definitely tempting but the depreciation factor gives me a brain freeze whenever I think too much about it. Maybe if that EURO fluctuates.

The Mahe is back on top as #1 for me.
Old 24-03-2014, 05:51   #10

Community Sponsor

4) (codefoster)I didn't see where the tankage is in the boat. Where is the water and where is the fuel?

4) (Cotemar) there are two 70 gallon water tanks are in the anchor locker, port & Stb sides. They are built in, so you cannot add them in later. Fuel tank is 53 gallons and is on the Stb side of the cockpit under the cockpit seat.

4) (codefoster) If they are built in, does that mean they are difficult to deal with in any way? Cleaning, maintenance, etc.

4) (Cotemar) You can still access the water level sensor and large clean out / inspection covers on the top of the tanks
------------------------------------------
6) (codefoster) What's up with the massive fixture in the head (left of the mirror) that doesn't appear to be used for anything? Are there options that plug in there or is that for the owner to customize? Surely it's not designed to waste that much space.

6) (Cotemar) It's called a holding tank

6) (codefoster)I don't think we're talking about the same thing. The unit I am talking about is on the wall left of the vanity and about 7-8 inches deep by 18 inches wide by 24 inches tall.

6) (Cotemar) It depends on what hull you’re in. If you’re In the Stb. Hull. then the large thing to the left of the vanity mirror is the holding tank.
------------------------------------------
8) (codefoster)The dinette bench is in prime real estate and I noticed it was simply screwed to the salon sole. I would want to replace that with an easy release system so that floor space could be utilized for other things when desired. Anyone else agree or has anyone else done this?

8) (Cotemar) I always thought that it would get in the way also, so I just have ours on four felt pads. It has never moved on its own, but if we need to move it we just slide it over to a new location. Just strap it to the table legs or re-screw it down if you’re going off shore. The extra storage and easy access is nice to have, so you probably would not want to remove it from the boat.
Old 25-03-2014, 05:29   #11

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by codefoster View Post
[*]Anyone care to expand on the bowsprit answer or submit another opinion?
The FP factory bow sprit is very good and well built. No rigging lines required. The ability to walk on something solid going forward is a nice feature.

It's not a cheap option, and if your marina charges by LOA, the factory bow sprit will continue to cost you $$ every month.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2014, 07:50   #12

Anyone know if there is a Mahe owners group?
Old 29-03-2014, 08:59   #13

Boat: 07 Leopard 40 / 93 Hunter 30T

The Mahe Evolution DUO was our second choice If we couldn't get an owners Leopard 40. Nice boat. Bare boated out of CYOA in ST Thomas on an earlier 2007 Mahe and our only complaints were boat was squeaky and the hardware was cheap. All those issues I think have been addressed in the later models. I think If I were in the market again the Mahe Evolution Duo would still be pretty high on my list especially if I was only expecting only an occasional guest or two. The boat is very easy to single hand and comfortable for a couple.
ShaktisBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2014, 14:38   #14

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKsailsolo View Post
Anyone know if there is a Mahe owners group?
Yes, there is a Mahe owners group

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post124571
Old 07-08-2019, 08:17   #15

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Mahe 36
Adding a fuel gauge to the Mahe 36

Has anyone here added a fuel gauge to your Mahe?
I don't like having to dip the stainless rod into the tank to keep track of our fuel consumption. I'm adding a generator to our vessel which will make keeping track of fuel levels even more of a drag.

Don't want to take off the wood panel off the starboard side berth to get to the tank if it's not absolutely necessary. Especially considering it might need to be replaced in the future. I was wondering if anyone made a inspection panel that would simplify installation?
Also, which brand and size did you purchase if you've done this?
Fiddlerman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mahe 36