Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-12-2022, 05:37   #1

Boat: 44 FP Cat & 45 Sea Ray motor yacht
Shower base leaking??

Fountaine-Pajot Orana 44 seeks help.

It is the 4 cabin 4 head layout. The master head and the SB forward head shares a common shower drain from where the shower water is pumped out.

After many months and after eliminating all other possibilities, it is ascertained that the SB Bilge water, is coming from the shower.

The water is entering the bilge only when it is pumped out of the shower drain box. (As the only remaining possibility). Not when the water is filling per se, although some water must go somewhere as the water level may settle at first filling.

It is very difficult to see under the drain box, but with my hands I cannot feel any water seeping out from the fitting under the drain holder; not in resting position, not when pumping out. Nor does a single drop exit from the pump or the clearly visible and accessible pump fittings.

Thus there is one other point , the spot where the drain pipe meets the through hole which I could not see yet.

Has someone encountered a same water leaking problem? Where to look for it?
How to fix whatever the source of leak could be in that cramped space?

It is a real annoyance having wet and water filling in the bilge.

🙏 Thank you. All advice will be explored. Thank you.
Gerrit Coetzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2022, 08:56   #2

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 48
Re: Shower base leaking??

Dry the area and spread talc power all over - have a shower and look for the water trails.
paulajayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2022, 09:02   #3

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38.1

I’ve thought about using food color. Fill that shower base up and mix your food color. Pump it out.

I haven’t done it yet on my boat. I wonder if food coloring would leave a stain in the shower?

I don’t know maybe it could be a idea or option.
Sam Woodbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2022, 11:05   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulajayne View Post
Dry the area and spread talc power all over - have a shower and look for the water trails.
Thank you.

Will try that. Getting the chalk in there from below slightly up will be challenging, but can try.
Old 17-12-2022, 11:13   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Woodbridge View Post
I’ve thought about using food color. Fill that shower base up and mix your food color. Pump it out.

I haven’t done it yet on my boat. I wonder if food coloring would leave a stain in the shower?

I used red cocktail drink mix, but either the basin water or something might dilute the mixture too thin.

I am cautious about food colour staining, but will do that soon if I get to a store to buy some, and no other solution has surfaced. Thank you.
Old 21-12-2022, 07:55   #6

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Woodbridge View Post

Right way to go. That’s how we found the leak in the anchor locker on my buddies Benetau which as a nearly full enclose bilge. Use different color for different areas.
Also just take some hose of and pump it through the area you think is the root cause.
Water may come out or appear in the visible area after several days, the issue we had in the beneteau too and that it was sweet and salt water.
Issue where:
Salt water got in only when heeling because the double walled bottom of the anchor locker had cracks at about 5cm height which only got water on that height when water entered at heeling or rough weather through the drain holes.
The hot water pipe had a small crack but water only appeared after 1/2 day or more so it was cold and we Never thought about a leak in the hot water pipe, the boiler functioned as pressure reservoir so the waterpump didn‘t come on all time. No chance finding that without colored water.
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2022, 15:11   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainRivet View Post
Right way to go....
Salt water got in only when heeling because the double walled bottom of the anchor locker had cracks at about 5cm height which only got water on that height when water entered at heeling or rough weather through the drain holes.
The hot water pipe had a small crack but water only appeared after 1/2 day or more so it was cold and we Never thought about a leak in the hot water pipe, the boiler functioned as pressure reservoir so the waterpump didn‘t come on all time. No chance finding that without colored water.
Thank you.
The problem you dealt with sounds complicated too, for sure.
Food coloring it will then be...
I do known for sure by now it is from the grey water, as the bilge is dry since we stopped using any of the SB showers.

I will be back at the boat in three months, and will give it a go.

Much appreciated.
Old 22-12-2022, 08:16   #8

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerrit Coetzee View Post
Thank you.
The problem you dealt with sounds complicated too, for sure.
Food coloring it will then be...
I do known for sure by now it is from the grey water, as the bilge is dry since we stopped using any of the SB showers.

I will be back at the boat in three months, and will give it a go.

Much appreciated.
you are welcome. the trick came from a very experienced surveyor I know who also told us to fill the anchor locker with colored water.
my buddy went nuts as he couldn't find the root causes for 8 month.
important is start at the highest point and work your way downwards. means bow to deepest point bildge then stern to deepest point bilge.
take a big bucket and use the shower but not let it drain into bottom. bilge stays dry, it's not the fresh water hoses.
What also helps a lot are the cable cameras for the mobile, you can get them in different length. they cost 40Euro on Amazon, I have 2 one for tanks and one for rest.
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shower