Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2020, 06:27   #1

Saona 47' Mini Cruise Just Booked

Just booked a short , chartered mini-cruise aboard a Saona 47 for my wife and I. Not cheap, but I wanted to get the feel of what a "larger" catamaran sails/lives like compared to the high 30's/ lower 40-footers. I am sort of afraid she may REALLY like it. But working on getting her onboard with a live-aboard lifestyle at some point in the not-too-distant future. Hopefully this little charter experience moves us closer to that goal.

I'll follow up here after were back next month.
Rennsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2020, 21:41   #2

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Saona 47
Re: Saona 47' Mini Cruise Just Booked

I hope it worked for you. My wife flipped from “No way in hell” to “I could do this for a few months” after just going on a Lavezzi 40 the first time a few years ago. We were Monohull sailers before that. We then charted a Saona and she did not want to leave. Now we own one
Beginnings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2020, 22:04   #3

We were happy enough on our 38ft dagger boarder with twin outboards for many years, but only a month at time living aboard or week ends. We chartered plenty of 38 - 40 ft Lagoons, FPs and Leopards around the world too. We then chartered a Lagoon 440, in the BVI. Perfect boat for long term live aboard in our opinion. We sold our 38ft boat and we were very very happy with the Lagoon 450 we ended up buying and cruised for 5 years full time. After being spoiled by the bigger cat there was no way we were going back to a smaller cat. So I hope your budget will stretch to a 47 footer.
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 12:47   #4

Boat: 2019 Saona 47

We went from a 41 foot Lipari to our Saona a bit over a year ago. We are now approaching the 1 year mark as live aboards. No doubt the additional space makes everything more comfortable. I will say that, at least in my opinion, the Lipari was a better sailing boat. Not that the Saona is bad, but the additional weight and freeboard make themselves known rather quickly.
HighTemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 06:46   #5

Apologies for not following-up sooner. We did the mini-cruise and it was pretty great. The wife took to it even better than I hope she would. We just bounced around the West coast of Florida.

Good news (maybe? perhpas?) is that the Sanoa was no longer available when our date came. Apparently the owner decided to remove it form the fleet at the last minute as he is apparently involved in some sort of reality TV show that is filming on the boat. So we ended up on a Lipari "Maestro" instead. Like I said, the wife enjoyed it so maybe the two of us can be happy on a smaller cat instead?

Overall great experience. The Lipari is just off to the left of the tender in this pic.

P.S. I will be completing my ASA 104 &114 certifications this month.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cat_sand_bar_FLA.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	228238  
Rennsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 04:12   #6

Where did you charter at ?
Whatta Life is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags