Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Fountaine Pajot
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2018, 06:34   #31

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds
Re: Saona 47 for a life long monohuller

Helia 44
Have you seen any test data on the Volvo folding props? I have a long and positive history with both Maxprop and Flexifold. The article on props in Yachting Monthly was spot on based on my experience with both and they didn't test Volvo. I had not considered Volvo props as I was going with Yanmar, but if I do go with the Volvo d2 60 the Volvo 3 blade folding props are less than $3k. Maxprop a lot more, and Flexifold, if I remember correctly will be about $1k more. If you go with the factory prop, I assume you do not get the fixed props. I was thinking of aftermarket Flexifold which would give me the Volvo standard fixed props as a spare. Zincs no problem in replacing on the Volvos?
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 22:25   #32

Boat: 2015 Fountaine Pajot SABA 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zzmeyer View Post
Helia 44
Have you seen any test data on the Volvo folding props?

Zincs no problem in replacing on the Volvos?
ZZm, I think you are over-thinking.... Look, IMO after forty years: Perkins 4-106, 4-108, 4-236, 6-354, Isuzu, Yanmar, John Deere Marine, Volvo, and more, 19? major yachts, as some I just fixed up to turn... And really: I would not change out the Volvo folding props. I mean you could spend $10,000 for fancy props that in reality would not give you 1/10th or 2/10ths of a knot..???? And BS on better fuel economy as well.. More prop=more HP= more fuel.. A lot of BS out there trying to sell gear... And you do not need a spare set of props.. Ballast...

Tony Longhurst Owner of Boatworks, in Coomera, has a 60' Cat, full custom, props run on DC motors off Lithium, and charge the lithium when sailing... Like about $250,000 of mucking around THEN Fancy props matter.. ( and he still carries a diesel genset as backup for charging... )

Zincs, no problem, easy to put on, a few pieces and stainless allan screws.. You could do it with a mask and snorkel, but I have been having two years and still sort of 30% left. Two year haul outs here with International Paint: Micron 66, and there is a new one out said to get 3 years or more. Two heavy coats, three on the meter at the water line... Get it cleaned/brushed down every month for the last six months, and no problems..

Kind regards from Down Under... Leaving for the Great Barrier Reef islands tomorrow at dawn.. Three months of snorkeling and diving, and fishing, and beach combing... Helia 44 now Blessed to be on her big Brother, the only SABA 50 in Australia..
Helia 44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 17:12   #33

Helia

Have a good sail and thanks for your input! I beat you on years owning boats (44), but your 19 boats beats my 12. I agree there is a lot of junk info out there, and I’ve also found props being one of the most overlooked items. Too small a prop, too large a prop, wrong pitch, can’t back. I agree that a big price premium doesn’t mean better performance and your right, ive never lost a prop. I did dive once to retrieve a lost prop on a neighbor (coincidently a cat). Doubt I’d carry a spare though.
Old 14-07-2018, 14:41   #34

Boat: 2015 Fountaine Pajot SABA 50

Hello Zzmeyer,

Yea, you got me beat on years. Why so many yachts? My yachts were often ones I traveled to distant regions to buy and shipped to better economic areas, to make money on after fixing them up.. Now that I am semi-retired: The Helia 44 and now Saba 50 are just labours of love...

Saba 50, running on Cel-Fi, at Lady Musgrave Island and Atoll at the bottom of the Great Barrier Reef (GBR)

"Serenity" .... In the Grace of our Lord....
Helia 44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2018, 15:42   #35

Two wood. One of which was my only powerboat. The rest mono glass. Was a serious racer for a couple decades so boats got “stale”. I remember pulling a 44 footer every night and wet sanding for a major regatta in Mexico so I have to learn that a tenth knot here or there won’t ruin my life. My first cat and everything new. Many surprises. Still a year and a half off. Have really appreciated your input.

Tags
hull, monohull