Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2015, 12:04   #31

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Saba50
Re: Owner's Initial Feedback on Hull #2 - Cuvée

My husband and I were at the Miami Sail Show last month and actually spent a lot of time on your boat. We were working out the details of our Saba....to be delivered to the Annapolis show in October. My husband handled all the minutiae relating to the mechanics and other systems.....I am more interested in aesthetics. We opted for the six cabin option and will put it in charter in St. Thomas. Did you have a television installed in the salon? I can't remember where the tv might be located there. From what I understand, there are not that many stations and what there are, may be in Spanish. I planned on a TV/DVD combo....looking for what size is feasible. I would appreciate learning from your experience as to what you might do differently now than when you were outfitting your boat. We were able to get an earlier manufacture slot than we originally thought we were, so it may be too late to make any more changes. We did opt for a dishwasher, mounted under the sink.....a one-drawer unit. That is more for me than the charters. I really wanted a washer/dryer, but I was talked out of it....sort of. The charter companies that we spoke with did not recommend them at all. Any advice would be most helpful and appreciated. Thank you....Sandy Peterman, Lenoir City, TN....
sandymwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2015, 14:09   #32

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Saba 50

Hi Sandmwp. Not too many charter companies on St Thomas. Will you be going into CYOA?

Perhaps my own bias but I did not seriously consider putting in a TV, at least while it's in charter. During 25 BVI charters, my crew and I never thought about watching a TV or movie while on the boat even when there was a TV onboard. We would probably bring a tablet with downloaded movies if we wanted to have a movie night.

What's the capacity, runtime, and hot water usage for the dishwasher? If designed to mount under the sink, it seems it would be significantly undersized to handle the dinner cleanup for a crew of 6 to 8+, so they will have to hand wash most of it anyway. It also eliminates the ideal storage area for all the pots and pans.

To help maximize galley storage, we kept the cabinet above the wall oven free for storage instead of installing a built-in microwave. We countertop mounted the microwave to the right of the oven.

I would agree with not installing a washer/dryer - wait until it's out of charter and you decide to keep it for personal use.
Cuvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2015, 14:33   #33

good point about the tv. frankly, we are not tv watchers and doubt that we would watch movies either. I was thinking about children, actually, more than adults. then again, our grandchildren are electronic loaded, i.e., ipads, ipods, phones. they are more into games than movies anymore, as are most kids anymore.

a friend of ours used to race on the great lakes, but when he gave up his boat, he started chartering cats on tortola from BVI. try as I might, I can't remember what those boats had on them.

Yes, we will be with CYOA. kirk looked at several companies and decided to go with them....based on reputation of boat maintenance and ease of travel to St. Thomas. Living in Knoxville, TN, leaves a lot to be desired in availability of air travel.

the dishwasher is a one drawer unit....we were told that in the upper end boats, it will be a desired feature. who knows???? I don't have the specs on the machine......I assume it will be a fisher-paykel, but I am not sure.

would love to pick your brain as time goes on. I plan on comparing your specs to what we have ordered.....it will be very interesting, as there are so many options and so many differing opinions.

thank you for your reply.'

sandy
Old 24-03-2015, 17:37   #34

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lipari 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandymwp View Post
good point about the tv. frankly, we are not tv watchers and doubt that we would watch movies either. I was thinking about children, actually, more than adults. then again, our grandchildren are electronic loaded, i.e., ipads, ipods, phones. they are more into games than movies anymore, as are most kids anymore.

a friend of ours used to race on the great lakes, but when he gave up his boat, he started chartering cats on tortola from BVI. try as I might, I can't remember what those boats had on them.

Yes, we will be with CYOA. kirk looked at several companies and decided to go with them....based on reputation of boat maintenance and ease of travel to St. Thomas. Living in Knoxville, TN, leaves a lot to be desired in availability of air travel.

the dishwasher is a one drawer unit....we were told that in the upper end boats, it will be a desired feature. who knows???? I don't have the specs on the machine......I assume it will be a fisher-paykel, but I am not sure.

would love to pick your brain as time goes on. I plan on comparing your specs to what we have ordered.....it will be very interesting, as there are so many options and so many differing opinions.

thank you for your reply.'

sandy
Sandy,

Congratulations, we haven't officially met yet but we will soon. Welcome to the CYOA family. Baard is right about the TV, if you really want one I will look around Cuvee tomorrow and let you know where to mount it but honestly it's not necessary. The guests that want video will bring a tablet or laptop.

As for the rest of your equipment, you have already benefited from our experience with Cuvee, as well as hull 2,3 and 6 of the Helia's. Rest assured there have been lots of conversations and emails back and forth between the management at CYOA and your dealer about equipment and options as well as layout and what works and doesn't work.

Cuvee has been getting rave revues, the boat sails like a dream. I did the checkout sail on it last week. 9 Knots in 16 knots of wind. You will have to ask Baard about the "wine cellar".

Jay
captainjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2015, 06:21   #35

thanks for your input. TV is off the table.......

have a great day!

sandy
Old 25-03-2015, 06:25   #36

although.........the wine cellar sounds very intriguing!

Old 22-04-2015, 09:40   #37

For some reason that I don't understand, I am unable to send you a private message.

Could you message me at sandymwp@gmail.com. I have a few questions about the Saba.

Thanks,

Sandy
Old 03-05-2015, 16:33   #38

Boat: Garcia 45 - being built for April 2019

Do you for-see any issues installing a bow thruster on a Saba?
peteh007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 18:45   #39

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteh007 View Post
Do you for-see any issues installing a bow thruster on a Saba?
What do expect a bow thruster to do that the engines can't? The pivot point would be the same for both.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 10:48   #40

Boat: St Francis 48Turbo

Hi,

Wanted to say hi to this forum. My wife and I were in La Rochelle earlier this year and looked round a maestro version in the harbour. Looking at the Helia I must agree that the extra space is great (given a choice on a 44 the Antares would just nip it imo). The factory were very accommodating and informative and we would have loved the opportunity to see how she sailed.
The Saba (We discounted the Ipanema due to size and short handed-ness) is a great looking cat and one we are hoping to get on board one day. Thanks for all the info on the thread.. it all helps decision making. We're both torn at the min between this and an SF50 but hope to be in a position to decide soon.. Thanks for the thread I will read future posts with interest.
Heath68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 22:17   #41

Hi, great reports cuvee, i would have some burning questions.

We are looking at the Ipanema 58 for charter and private use, whit skipper on board.

On the Saba the engines are also located below the seen beads is that correct?
Any problems whit smell or fumes from them coming in to the aft cabins, how is the vibration level while at the and using the engines?

Also the bilge from the engine rooms are connected to the main bilge in the hull, any problems whit the engine fumes, smells?

No concerns about the fact that there are no watertight compartments like in lagoon?

any advice is very welcome.

best regards
Marco
lagoon100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 23:11   #42

Boat: Pearson 530

What is the air draft?
Old 05-05-2015, 03:50   #43

Air draft is about 73.5 ft without the VHF antenna, and 76.5 ft with the VHF antenna.
Old 05-05-2015, 04:06   #44

The Saba engines are located in an engine bay that is behind the aft cabins, not under the bunks. There is a thick bulkhead that separates it from the aft cabins.

There are conduit openings in the bulkhead for plumbing and electrical runs to the rest of the boat but these all look to be higher than the top of the engine.

Other than these conduit openings near the top of the bulkhead, the engine and hull bilges are not interconnected. There is a bilge pump in each engine bay, and two bilge pumps per main bilge compartment. Pumps are automatic with alarms.

No engine fumes or smell at all in the cabins.

I'm on the boat today and will take some sound measurements while underway.
Old 03-06-2015, 10:59   #45

Boat: FP Aura 51

Great informative Posts Cuvee. Thank you for your time.
I am curious about your Chartering setup. Which avenue did you take. I have talked to Atlantic-Cruising and I am assuming you did it through them? I would love to know about your experience and any words of advice for someone on the cusp of entering into a similar agreement. I think I have narrowed it down to FP and in particular the Saba and the Ipanema.
Thanks!
Seppisigh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull